Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2021, 02:49 PM   #3031
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Oh My Gosh!! What a strikingly stunning floral image. Most impressive young lady, most impressive and many thanks for the awesome treat. )

tt
Thanks, Tony! My pleasure to share it, glad you enjoyed it. I warned you a few days ago that my calla was about to bloom! Frankly I had forgotten how gorgeous it is, I don't think it bloomed last year. But I'm enjoying it now! Delighted to share!

06-22-2021, 04:00 PM - 4 Likes   #3032
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a calla lily of a different color, or all colors if you want to be technical.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX100M6  Photo 
06-22-2021, 04:34 PM - 2 Likes   #3033
Veteran Member

Sunflower from Chinese New Year market back in January

06-22-2021, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #3034
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Here's a calla lily of a different color, or all colors if you want to be technical.
Being technical... the part of a calla that we admire, that outer voluptuous part, isn't really the flower...it's a structure called a "spathe", sort of a bract (modified leaf) wrapping around the "spadix", which is the yellow structure inside the tube. The real flowers are the tiny bumps on the spadix. This is the typical anatomy of arum-family flowers. Callas are aroids, related to plants like philodendron, though the common name is "calla lily" they aren't lilies at all.

I know, TMI. Sorry, my bad. But that is a gorgeous calla, Walt. I am fond of them!

06-22-2021, 04:44 PM   #3035
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Being technical... the part of a calla that we admire, that outer voluptuous part, isn't really the flower...it's a structure called a "spathe", sort of a bract (modified leaf) wrapping around the "spadix", which is the yellow structure inside the tube. The real flowers are the tiny bumps on the spadix. This is the typical anatomy of arum-family flowers. Callas are aroids, related to plants like philodendron, though the common name is "calla lily" they aren't lilies at all.

I know, TMI. Sorry, my bad. But that is a gorgeous calla, Walt. I am fond of them!
I very much appreciate learning something new, although I've forgotten more than I ever knew. I'm more familiar with a spathe from skunk cabbage (Symplocarpus foetidus), the "endothermic" plant.
06-22-2021, 04:45 PM - 2 Likes   #3036
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I flower that surely has been molded by human selection.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX100M6  Photo 
06-22-2021, 07:42 PM - 3 Likes   #3037
Veteran Member

St. John's Wort.

06-23-2021, 04:09 AM - 4 Likes   #3038
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Night blooming water lilies.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
06-23-2021, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #3039
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I very much appreciate learning something new, although I've forgotten more than I ever knew. I'm more familiar with a spathe from skunk cabbage (Symplocarpus foetidus), the "endothermic" plant.
"skunk cabbage" is an aroid, too, so no surprise that the inflorescence has those characteristics. We don't have the, er, pleasure of it here, but I've heard of it. Stinky to attract insect pollinators, as is its much huger cousin, tropical Amorphophallus ("corpse flower"). There are some orchids with a similar stink.
06-23-2021, 06:52 AM - 2 Likes   #3040
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
"skunk cabbage" is an aroid, too, so no surprise that the inflorescence has those characteristics. We don't have the, er, pleasure of it here, but I've heard of it. Stinky to attract insect pollinators, as is its much huger cousin, tropical Amorphophallus ("corpse flower"). There are some orchids with a similar stink.

Despite getting down close (back when I could) and even crushing a bit of it, I have never been able to detect an offensive odor. It certainly attracts the early flies when it melts its way through the snow.

I'll add an image of skunk cabbage surrounded by some ice that's covering a muddy patch
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX100M6  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 06-23-2021 at 07:09 AM.
06-23-2021, 07:02 AM   #3041
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Despite getting down close (back when I could) and even crushing a bit of it, I have never been able to detect an offensive odor. It certainly attracts the early flies when it melts its way through the snow.
Only a guess, but the odor may be related to the age of the leaf -- younger or older, or at a certain stage of maturation. Whatever, it's a very strange plant!

---------- Post added 06-23-21 at 10:30 AM ----------

Night blooming water lilies.
Beautiful! I had no idea there were so many different kinds of night-blooming water lilies. I've always wanted a pond, with water lilies and lotus (which are really too big for a modest pond, but what the heck, as long as I'm dreaming...).
06-23-2021, 07:38 AM - 4 Likes   #3042
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

by Marco Marco, su Flickr
06-23-2021, 09:23 AM - 2 Likes   #3043
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Large garden flower

Large garden flower with K-1 and Pentax 67 55mm f 4.0.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-23-2021, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #3044
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Modest-size flowers in a big cluster
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX100M6  Photo 
06-24-2021, 12:49 AM - 2 Likes   #3045
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One Amazing Day Lily From My Neighbor's Garden.

Taken with: Canon EOS 80D Body and a Canon EF-S 55~250mm, IS, STM Lens.

Thanks a million for viewing.

tony