Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2014, 02:46 AM   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Either I'm really un-observant, or I've already been on the new Flickr for a while semi-unawares (as I usually view Flickr with Flickstackr on my iPad). I do vaguely recall something changing a fair while ago - I thought for the better, as there seemed overall more photos and less guff on the page.

Or is that the old-new Flickr, and I'm soon to be shoved onto some new-new version?

03-26-2014, 02:59 AM   #272
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I can't find the Map function on the new Flickr. Gone, or am I overlooking something?
03-26-2014, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #273
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
I can't find the Map function on the new Flickr. Gone, or am I overlooking something?
Just had a look and you can add things to your map under Organize. No one's going to see it though, until the map function gets fixed apparently. Click on the three dots on a photo in your photostream and click add to map and you will get a notice telling you they are working very hard.

I bombed out again!! I never should have counted myself in if I can't finish. It did get me taking photos again, however. Work has slowed to a crawl, no more doubles and plenty of sleep. Maybe I should consider April? Yikes! Like anybody will believe me now I will put the photos taken with the Tammy 90mm macro thus far on flickr for anyone interested and do a review here as I think this this lens deserves it.
03-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #274
Veteran Member

For what it's worth, I'm standing by my appraisal of the "new" Flickr interface. I still love it. Glad I switched to the new UI as soon as it was available so I'm not left orphaned and unhappy. :-)

AND.

So I've yet to get an Explore, but my image from 3rd Street (Slats) did get selected as a group cover! Who knows how often the group moderator changes the cover, but for me, it is a small source of pride for the recognition.

Flickr: The Mundanely Exquisite Pool

Looking forward to April.

03-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #275
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm warming up to it.
03-26-2014, 11:56 PM   #276
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WWIFA Quote
Just had a look and you can add things to your map under Organize. No one's going to see it though, until the map function gets fixed apparently. Click on the three dots on a photo in your photostream and click add to map and you will get a notice telling you they are working very hard.
Thanks mate
03-27-2014, 03:35 AM   #277
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
For what it's worth, I'm standing by my appraisal of the "new" Flickr interface. I still love it. Glad I switched to the new UI as soon as it was available so I'm not left orphaned and unhappy. :-)

AND.

So I've yet to get an Explore, but my image from 3rd Street (Slats) did get selected as a group cover! Who knows how often the group moderator changes the cover, but for me, it is a small source of pride for the recognition.

That's really cool - but by hell that photo should've been Explored. It's just so so good.

03-27-2014, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time for a summary, as I will not be posting for the remainder of the month.

The Sigma 35/1.4 is an excellent, and versatile lens. It is sharp, and contrasty and very fast.
Bokeh is very good. AF is fast and accurate (rating = excellent). It matches and exceeds the K-3 sensor resolution easily. It's so sharp that you can crop heaps, without loss of definition.
But it's big and heavy, and do we really need f1.4 ???

My response is a resounding YES, we do, it really avails itself of some special art shots. And the wide (or very nearly) open bokeh is great.
K-3 has some high ISO limitations (yeah, I know its boring), but the Sigma helps overcome this.

My fave shot for the month was "Dead-end" but you guys didn't seem to like it.
I wanted to do more street shooting, but my time was interrupted by a very demanding family drama, that won't go away for a while.
And now I need a change of direction for a while.

I have enjoyed all of your photos, I did look at them all, but I didn't comment much.
To my old and discerning eyes, you are all superstars, and throughout my 3+ years of the Single challenge, I have continued to be amazed by all of your creativity, and wizardry.

I wish you all good light, and fortune.

I know I will return, hopefully sooner, not later.
03-27-2014, 04:40 AM   #279
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote

AND.

Explored thing on flickr is quite unpredicted sometimes. Don't worry about that.

---------- Post added 03-27-14 at 13:42 ----------

Good rounding up with Sigma.

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote

The Sigma 35/1.4 is an excellent, and versatile lens. It is sharp, and contrasty and very fast.
Bokeh is very good. AF is fast and accurate (rating = excellent). It matches and exceeds the K-3 sensor resolution easily. It's so sharp that you can crop heaps, without loss of definition.

My response is a resounding YES, we do, it really avails itself of some special art shots. And the wide (or very nearly) open bokeh is great.
K-3 has some high ISO limitations (yeah, I know its boring), but the Sigma helps overcome this.

I wanted to do more street shooting, but my time was interrupted by a very demanding family drama, that won't go away for a while.

I have enjoyed all of your photos, I did look at them all, but I didn't comment much.
To my old and discerning eyes, you are all superstars, and throughout my 3+ years of the Single challenge, I have continued to be amazed by all of your creativity, and wizardry.

It is quite hard to let go of Single in. I have had some months off, but still I like to come and see pictures. Something special about this challenge. You have done well, really well for many months/years. So little break is just fine.
03-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #280
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I'm warming up to it.
I like the image display, and that extra EXIF info that is shown by default. I'm still finding parts of it to be a bit slower (adding to groups), and other parts have icons that don't really make any sense. (e.g. The sharing buttons.)

Something I've noticed that's kind of strange: there are those little line drawings of cameras and (sometimes) lenses that tell you not only the model of camera, but also the type. That, in itself, is neat. However, if I take a shot with my GR3 and upload a JPEG that I processed from a DNG in Lightroom, it shows the focal length and the little lens drawing next to the compact camera drawing. If I upload the JPEG SOOC, focal length is shown only in the extended EXIF data and no lens drawing. (Which, really, makes more sense for the GR3.) That, and the handful of phonecam-shot photos I have show a line drawing of a Land camera for some unexplainable reason.

Last edited by g026r; 03-27-2014 at 10:45 AM.
03-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #281
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote

Thanks for the review, the Sigma Artizen lenses have my interest.

Jack I will miss you around here and I hope your situations resolve quickly and favorably. Best of luck with them. I've grown accustom to your work and will await your return. Take care.

Tim
03-27-2014, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks monthly challenge community it has been fun!

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and generous comments on the images that I was able to share. Though my participation wasn't as dedicated as others, I come out of the challenge with some new ways at looking at my photography and new ways of approaching/capturing/processing an image in general. It is clear that the community is chocked full of serious photographers that don't take themselves too seriously, which is a good model for me.

With regards to the lens challenge, I come out with a more solid realization that I don't think I need anything wider than 20 mm except if I want to over emphasize/distort the reality that I see. So it confirms my decision to sell the seldom used DA 15. And as I learned (or will soon literally learn ) stitching may be my solution for the seldom times I want to show more.

After the month of extensive shooting (for me at least) with the DA20-40, I come away with even more of a feeling that I made absolutely the right decision to sell my da primes. The focal length, WR and IQ aesthetic so fits my shooting style, and I am enjoying photography even more now.

Thanks again for the supportive and constructive comments. kevin
03-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dice Quote
After the month of extensive shooting (for me at least) with the DA20-40, I come away with even more of a feeling that I made absolutely the right decision to sell my da primes. The focal length, WR and IQ aesthetic so fits my shooting style, and I am enjoying photography even more now.
Oh, I wasn't aware you are using the all new DA20-40.
Now I know who is the next in my LBA list. )
03-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #284

So this happened. Don't know when it happened but I was probably asleep. This is the hospital I'm current at (even the writing of this post) and I think you'll recognize one of the signs around the 3 minute mark. Although the camera is facing the other direction that I took my shot as. Oh yeah, and the 5th floor isn't in use right now, so no patients were around.
Little bit of trivia that may only interest Matt, the area the finish at is known as the Jim Pattison Atrium, named the same time and for the same reason as the concourse.
For Sandy and Jack, this was the PCC, housing all the wards. The OR, ICU, ER and all that jazz that you may be interested in is in the Diagnostic and Treatment Centre (D&T).

03-28-2014, 05:55 AM   #285
Veteran Member

My summary, of the 18-135WR:

I tried using this for a SingleIn earlier month, December I think, and lost heart half way through. This time I will have managed to complete a whole month using it. I think the previous month was in a less stimulating area (I moved in January) and with worse lighting conditions. Whatever the reasons, I have found this lens to be very versatile, and very enjoyable to use on my K-5. The range is good, and the K-5's abiility with high ISO shots means the aperture range of the lens is not such a limiting factor. I tried to avoid the limits of its zoom range, always a good idea with zooms, but when I did feel the need to go to 18 or 135 I seemed to get perfectly adequate results. Several of the shots I posted this month received comments on the sharpness of the shots, which suggests that the lens is fine for web publication.

I did try to stay at f6.7 and f8, whenever I remembered, and that seemed to help. Focussing is very swift, and I can remeber any times when it hunted for perfect focus, and it was also quiet, which helped with candids and street shots. Except the one today, when I was readying myself for a perfect shot of a small boy gazing at a steam train, but his stupid grandma started babbling "ooh look that laowai is taking a photo of my grandson" so the boy got shy and ran away. Sigh.

To sum up, this is an excellent value lens - light, quiet, with a good zoom range. Ideal as a budget walkabout lens.