Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2014, 02:46 AM   #271
Pentaxian
Tsuken's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,858
Either I'm really un-observant, or I've already been on the new Flickr for a while semi-unawares (as I usually view Flickr with Flickstackr on my iPad). I do vaguely recall something changing a fair while ago - I thought for the better, as there seemed overall more photos and less guff on the page.

Or is that the old-new Flickr, and I'm soon to be shoved onto some new-new version?

03-26-2014, 02:59 AM   #272
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
OzzRod's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newcastle, N.S.W.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,173
Original Poster
I can't find the Map function on the new Flickr. Gone, or am I overlooking something?
03-26-2014, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #273
Veteran Member
WWIFA's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Grand County, Colorado
Photos: Albums
Posts: 325
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
I can't find the Map function on the new Flickr. Gone, or am I overlooking something?
Just had a look and you can add things to your map under Organize. No one's going to see it though, until the map function gets fixed apparently. Click on the three dots on a photo in your photostream and click add to map and you will get a notice telling you they are working very hard.

I bombed out again!! I never should have counted myself in if I can't finish. It did get me taking photos again, however. Work has slowed to a crawl, no more doubles and plenty of sleep. Maybe I should consider April? Yikes! Like anybody will believe me now I will put the photos taken with the Tammy 90mm macro thus far on flickr for anyone interested and do a review here as I think this this lens deserves it.
03-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #274
Veteran Member
severalsnakes's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kansas City, KS
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,582
For what it's worth, I'm standing by my appraisal of the "new" Flickr interface. I still love it. Glad I switched to the new UI as soon as it was available so I'm not left orphaned and unhappy. :-)

AND.

So I've yet to get an Explore, but my image from 3rd Street (Slats) did get selected as a group cover! Who knows how often the group moderator changes the cover, but for me, it is a small source of pride for the recognition.

Flickr: The Mundanely Exquisite Pool

Looking forward to April.

03-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #275
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,322
I'm warming up to it.
03-26-2014, 11:56 PM   #276
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
OzzRod's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newcastle, N.S.W.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,173
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WWIFA Quote
Just had a look and you can add things to your map under Organize. No one's going to see it though, until the map function gets fixed apparently. Click on the three dots on a photo in your photostream and click add to map and you will get a notice telling you they are working very hard.
Thanks mate
03-27-2014, 03:35 AM   #277
Pentaxian
Tsuken's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,858
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
For what it's worth, I'm standing by my appraisal of the "new" Flickr interface. I still love it. Glad I switched to the new UI as soon as it was available so I'm not left orphaned and unhappy. :-)



AND.



So I've yet to get an Explore, but my image from 3rd Street (Slats) did get selected as a group cover! Who knows how often the group moderator changes the cover, but for me, it is a small source of pride for the recognition.



Flickr: The Mundanely Exquisite Pool



Looking forward to April.

That's really cool - but by hell that photo should've been Explored. It's just so so good.
03-27-2014, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #278
Veteran Member
jackassp's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 805
Time for a summary, as I will not be posting for the remainder of the month.

The Sigma 35/1.4 is an excellent, and versatile lens. It is sharp, and contrasty and very fast.
Bokeh is very good. AF is fast and accurate (rating = excellent). It matches and exceeds the K-3 sensor resolution easily. It's so sharp that you can crop heaps, without loss of definition.
But it's big and heavy, and do we really need f1.4 ???

My response is a resounding YES, we do, it really avails itself of some special art shots. And the wide (or very nearly) open bokeh is great.
K-3 has some high ISO limitations (yeah, I know its boring), but the Sigma helps overcome this.

My fave shot for the month was "Dead-end" but you guys didn't seem to like it.
I wanted to do more street shooting, but my time was interrupted by a very demanding family drama, that won't go away for a while.
And now I need a change of direction for a while.

I have enjoyed all of your photos, I did look at them all, but I didn't comment much.
To my old and discerning eyes, you are all superstars, and throughout my 3+ years of the Single challenge, I have continued to be amazed by all of your creativity, and wizardry.

I wish you all good light, and fortune.

I know I will return, hopefully sooner, not later.

03-27-2014, 04:40 AM   #279
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,822
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
For what it's worth, I'm standing by my appraisal of the "new" Flickr interface. I still love it. Glad I switched to the new UI as soon as it was available so I'm not left orphaned and unhappy. :-)

AND.

So I've yet to get an Explore, but my image from 3rd Street (Slats) did get selected as a group cover! Who knows how often the group moderator changes the cover, but for me, it is a small source of pride for the recognition.

Flickr: The Mundanely Exquisite Pool

Looking forward to April.
Explored thing on flickr is quite unpredicted sometimes. Don't worry about that.

---------- Post added 03-27-14 at 13:42 ----------

Good rounding up with Sigma.

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
Time for a summary, as I will not be posting for the remainder of the month.

The Sigma 35/1.4 is an excellent, and versatile lens. It is sharp, and contrasty and very fast.
Bokeh is very good. AF is fast and accurate (rating = excellent). It matches and exceeds the K-3 sensor resolution easily. It's so sharp that you can crop heaps, without loss of definition.
But it's big and heavy, and do we really need f1.4 ???

My response is a resounding YES, we do, it really avails itself of some special art shots. And the wide (or very nearly) open bokeh is great.
K-3 has some high ISO limitations (yeah, I know its boring), but the Sigma helps overcome this.

My fave shot for the month was "Dead-end" but you guys didn't seem to like it.
I wanted to do more street shooting, but my time was interrupted by a very demanding family drama, that won't go away for a while.
And now I need a change of direction for a while.

I have enjoyed all of your photos, I did look at them all, but I didn't comment much.
To my old and discerning eyes, you are all superstars, and throughout my 3+ years of the Single challenge, I have continued to be amazed by all of your creativity, and wizardry.

I wish you all good light, and fortune.

I know I will return, hopefully sooner, not later.
It is quite hard to let go of Single in. I have had some months off, but still I like to come and see pictures. Something special about this challenge. You have done well, really well for many months/years. So little break is just fine.
03-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #280
Pentaxian
g026r's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,961
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I'm warming up to it.
I like the image display, and that extra EXIF info that is shown by default. I'm still finding parts of it to be a bit slower (adding to groups), and other parts have icons that don't really make any sense. (e.g. The sharing buttons.)

Something I've noticed that's kind of strange: there are those little line drawings of cameras and (sometimes) lenses that tell you not only the model of camera, but also the type. That, in itself, is neat. However, if I take a shot with my GR3 and upload a JPEG that I processed from a DNG in Lightroom, it shows the focal length and the little lens drawing next to the compact camera drawing. If I upload the JPEG SOOC, focal length is shown only in the extended EXIF data and no lens drawing. (Which, really, makes more sense for the GR3.) That, and the handful of phonecam-shot photos I have show a line drawing of a Land camera for some unexplainable reason.

Last edited by g026r; 03-27-2014 at 10:45 AM.
03-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #281
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,322
QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
Time for a summary, as I will not be posting for the remainder of the month.

The Sigma 35/1.4 is an excellent, and versatile lens. It is sharp, and contrasty and very fast.
Bokeh is very good. AF is fast and accurate (rating = excellent). It matches and exceeds the K-3 sensor resolution easily. It's so sharp that you can crop heaps, without loss of definition.
But it's big and heavy, and do we really need f1.4 ???

My response is a resounding YES, we do, it really avails itself of some special art shots. And the wide (or very nearly) open bokeh is great.
K-3 has some high ISO limitations (yeah, I know its boring), but the Sigma helps overcome this.

My fave shot for the month was "Dead-end" but you guys didn't seem to like it.
I wanted to do more street shooting, but my time was interrupted by a very demanding family drama, that won't go away for a while.
And now I need a change of direction for a while.

I have enjoyed all of your photos, I did look at them all, but I didn't comment much.
To my old and discerning eyes, you are all superstars, and throughout my 3+ years of the Single challenge, I have continued to be amazed by all of your creativity, and wizardry.

I wish you all good light, and fortune.

I know I will return, hopefully sooner, not later.
Thanks for the review, the Sigma Artizen lenses have my interest.

Jack I will miss you around here and I hope your situations resolve quickly and favorably. Best of luck with them. I've grown accustom to your work and will await your return. Take care.

Tim
03-27-2014, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Emeryville, CA
Posts: 1,119
Thanks monthly challenge community it has been fun!

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and generous comments on the images that I was able to share. Though my participation wasn't as dedicated as others, I come out of the challenge with some new ways at looking at my photography and new ways of approaching/capturing/processing an image in general. It is clear that the community is chocked full of serious photographers that don't take themselves too seriously, which is a good model for me.

With regards to the lens challenge, I come out with a more solid realization that I don't think I need anything wider than 20 mm except if I want to over emphasize/distort the reality that I see. So it confirms my decision to sell the seldom used DA 15. And as I learned (or will soon literally learn ) stitching may be my solution for the seldom times I want to show more.

After the month of extensive shooting (for me at least) with the DA20-40, I come away with even more of a feeling that I made absolutely the right decision to sell my da primes. The focal length, WR and IQ aesthetic so fits my shooting style, and I am enjoying photography even more now.

Thanks again for the supportive and constructive comments. kevin
03-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #283
Veteran Member
mtux's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: the Netherlands
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,444
QuoteOriginally posted by Dice Quote
After the month of extensive shooting (for me at least) with the DA20-40, I come away with even more of a feeling that I made absolutely the right decision to sell my da primes. The focal length, WR and IQ aesthetic so fits my shooting style, and I am enjoying photography even more now.
Oh, I wasn't aware you are using the all new DA20-40.
Now I know who is the next in my LBA list. )
03-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #284
Senior Member
StudentBoots's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 108
So this happened. Don't know when it happened but I was probably asleep. This is the hospital I'm current at (even the writing of this post) and I think you'll recognize one of the signs around the 3 minute mark. Although the camera is facing the other direction that I took my shot as. Oh yeah, and the 5th floor isn't in use right now, so no patients were around.
Little bit of trivia that may only interest Matt, the area the finish at is known as the Jim Pattison Atrium, named the same time and for the same reason as the concourse.
For Sandy and Jack, this was the PCC, housing all the wards. The OR, ICU, ER and all that jazz that you may be interested in is in the Diagnostic and Treatment Centre (D&T).

03-28-2014, 05:55 AM   #285
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 451
My summary, of the 18-135WR:

I tried using this for a SingleIn earlier month, December I think, and lost heart half way through. This time I will have managed to complete a whole month using it. I think the previous month was in a less stimulating area (I moved in January) and with worse lighting conditions. Whatever the reasons, I have found this lens to be very versatile, and very enjoyable to use on my K-5. The range is good, and the K-5's abiility with high ISO shots means the aperture range of the lens is not such a limiting factor. I tried to avoid the limits of its zoom range, always a good idea with zooms, but when I did feel the need to go to 18 or 135 I seemed to get perfectly adequate results. Several of the shots I posted this month received comments on the sharpness of the shots, which suggests that the lens is fine for web publication.

I did try to stay at f6.7 and f8, whenever I remembered, and that seemed to help. Focussing is very swift, and I can remeber any times when it hunted for perfect focus, and it was also quiet, which helped with candids and street shots. Except the one today, when I was readying myself for a perfect shot of a small boy gazing at a steam train, but his stupid grandma started babbling "ooh look that laowai is taking a photo of my grandson" so the boy got shy and ran away. Sigh.

To sum up, this is an excellent value lens - light, quiet, with a good zoom range. Ideal as a budget walkabout lens.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
28mm, adapters, album, birth, bit, book, challenge, comment, day, degree, diamond, feb, flickr, forum, fun, job, lens, level, month, pentax, picture, pictures, post, screw, son, tamron, theme, thread, time, winery
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Game Single in February 2014 OzzRod Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 304 03-02-2014 04:00 PM
Game Single in January 2014 OzzRod Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 267 02-08-2014 12:43 AM
Game Single in March 2013 patjp Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 116 09-20-2013 08:02 AM
Game Single in March 2012 jackassp Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 119 04-01-2012 01:26 AM
Game Single In March KarenH Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 306 03-31-2011 11:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top