Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #316

It was good to hang around with my 18-135mm this month. Number one thing that bothers me about it is the lens creep that happens with it. Not sure if this is a common experience with everyone, but I find it very annoying.

Thank goodness for LR5. Fixes the distortion and the vignetting that can be quite problematic for some shots. I love how quiet the lens is, and I find its auto-zoom to be very quick for the most part. I was able to take quite a number of my shots this month hanging around in the higher ISO range, and with quite decent results (on my K-5). It worked well for what my main purpose was for it - the birth of my son. I needed quick focus ability and a variety of focal distances. This lens fit the bill for me (I also used my Sigma 17-70).

I can tell it doesn't typically yield the sharpest photos of my lenses, but I also had a number of comments this month about the sharpness of some of my shots. So it does seem to do well in that area from time to time. Mostly, I'm guessing, in the mid F-stop range.

So I actually had a fairly good run this month, I missed just a few days towards the beginning of the month. I really enjoyed seeing everyone's pictures this month. I liked some of the themes people ran with - and with great results.

03-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #317
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@OzzRod - wonderful image there, that's one to print and cherish. Wow.

Ok, my reflections on the DA 35 Limited Macro. Over the past few years, I've read comments from users of this lens about how they never take it off their camera, or what a gem it is, etc. While users of the DA 15 Limited are even more vocal about that lens, I think I get it now what people see in this little lens that does a lot of things very well. At 35mm it's almost a 'normal' lens and as a macro too you can get in very close and pull out macro goodness, and with 9 blades it provides nice starbursts. I've been pleased with it's flare resistance, even on my infrared camera. That's a lotta stuff to like in a very small package. Toss in a built in hood and metal build an you have a lot of lens for the money. While I never had any doubt that this was a keeper, this month's shoot with it eliminated any doubt in my mind. It's funny too, because I've found zoom lenses that start at 35mm to be not wide enough yet, working at 35mm all this month with this prime, was not limiting at all, weird.

As a macro, this lens is good but not great. I prefer my DFA 100 because of it's stand off distance over the DA 35 but...I've also been very surprised, how many quick hand held macros I've been able to get with the DA 35. I think it's brilliant for in the field macro work.

I find only two drawbacks with it.
1. I wish the lens cap fit on tighter. It's come off so many times that I'm constantly checking it - because loosing one of those is a PIA.
2. I'd like to use a polarizer with it. I think I could have but as it would have to fit in the lens hood it's not really convenient. I think a polarizer would have helped some of my landscapes this month.

While I did get a few nice images this month, the weather made things difficult on so many days that I didn't really have much variety of subjects. So...lots of flowers were shot. That's the way it goes in early spring.

Thanks to all who commented on my work and well done to those who made the journey. See you in April!
03-31-2014, 05:24 PM   #318
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
It's funny too, because I've found zoom lenses that start at 35mm to be not wide enough yet, working at 35mm all this month with this prime, was not limiting at all, weird.
Shooting with a zoom is just a different thought process. Zoom versatility offers a different set of options for "getting the shot", and in turn can change how we think about that process. So it doesn't sound at all weird to me.

Phone/Internet back on line, finally. I enjoyed shooting with the A50/2.8 macro this month, a versatile lens. Does what a macro lens needs to do -- plenty sharp with pleasing bokeh. Typical Pentax-A colors, well balanced, not over-saturated. Works well reversed on extension and even better (sharper across the frame) reversed onto an appropriate lens -- I had good results reversing it onto both the K105 and the DA*200. For even higher effective magnification it also works well as a converging lens for an infinite-type microscope objective on the Q. The one disappointment I had was using it with my A-type 25mm extension tube, a de-glassed KR mount TC. Some kind of flare or internal reflections resulting in poor contrast with this combination -- on a proper extension tube it works fine. Disappointing because it is certainly handy to have the A function. I need to test this tube with some other lenses to see if it is the tube or this particular combination that is the problem.

I did some but not a lot of shooting at normal focal distances. In the past I have not found this lens to be particularly sharp toward infinity focus, which is no surprise for a macro lens. But I haven't reached a definite conclusion on that point yet.

I suspect the newer Pentax 50mm macros are better -- this one is a pretty simple optical design by comparison. But for now it's definitely a keeper for me.

I have various trips next month but I think I'll be in for another Single Challenge -- it's loads of fun, a great group, and a great motivator. Possibly I'll try my newly acquired K85/1.8 -- I haven't had a chance to do any more than a few test shots with it yet. Thus far my Single lenses have been: K35/3.5, DA16-45, Bokina, M28/2.8, K30/2.8, and this month's A50/2.8 macro. Another possibility for next month is the A24/2.8, a favorite I reach for a lot. I'll decide tomorrow.
03-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #319
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amseaman Quote
Number one thing that bothers me about it is the lens creep that happens with it
My copy is quite tight - no creeping here.

03-31-2014, 06:00 PM   #320

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Number one thing that bothers me about it is the lens creep that happens with it.
My copy is fine too. I'm sorry yours creeps.
03-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #321

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
My copy is fine too. I'm sorry yours creeps.
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
My copy is quite tight - no creeping here.
Oh wow. Mine has done it since day one. I just assumed it was typical! Man, the lens creep for me is horrible. If I walk around with it for a few minutes it's hanging out at 135mm every time. Not cool.
04-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #322
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oh wow. Mine has done it since day one. I just assumed it was typical! Man, the lens creep for me is horrible. If I walk around with it for a few minutes it's hanging out at 135mm every time. Not cool.
Mine was tight when I got it, but developed creep. I sent it in to CRIS and it came back tight as a drum. Highly recommend you doing that.