Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2014, 03:10 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Alright, I'm officially jealous at you all. I haven't had a single Explore and I don't think my shots are that bad compared to those who have hit it....
I have gone for months of what I considered to be pretty good shots and got nothing. I post a couple of throw-aways and get all the love in the world. Don't sweat it

03-07-2014, 03:41 AM - 2 Likes   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lets all vote hard for wolfie-girls photos and get her explored.
03-07-2014, 06:21 AM   #93
Veteran Member

I have also never been "Explored"... I think? Is there an alert? How would a person even know? Obviously, I don't even really know how it works. I guess I thought there was some sort of qualification you had to have.. Is there really voting? :-P Apparently I'm a Flickr newb.

REALLY enjoying participating in the challenge, seeing everyone's photos and getting out there, myself. "Explore" can fly a kite, for all the fun I'm having without it. :-)

~Sara
03-07-2014, 07:23 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I have also never been "Explored"
Neither have I, but I think in part it's because I haven't been really participating in Flickr long enough. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it...

03-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #95
Pentaxian

I have also never been "Explored"... I think? Is there an alert? How would a person even know? Obviously, I don't even really know how it works. I guess I thought there was some sort of qualification you had to have.. Is there really voting? :-P Apparently I'm a Flickr newb.
I think I've had one hit explore. Maybe. And I don't consider it to be one of my better ones.

The algorithm is quite simply a mystery to me.

(It's my only shot with over a thousand views and I've never been able to figure out any other possible reason why, as I didn't really post it anywhere and only added it to 1 or two groups when I first uploaded it. Though if it did hit it then it was dropped from explore shortly after)
03-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My most viewed photo isn't even an explored one. It gets dozens of hits per week from the lens review section of this very forum.

WoW... It seems some one really liked my fisheye month last month. It jumped ahead by a few views...

I'm sharing because it is so Sexy

03-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
Just post a picture of a dog or a tree or even a drain pipe. Seriously, don't put too much stock into what Flickr thinks is explore worthy material.
Yeah I know. I know it's no biggie. Getting a fave or a comment from you guys is much more valuable than anything Flickr can provide. It's just watching all you guys get explored over the last few months was just starting to make feel a little left out...

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
Lets all vote hard for wolfie-girls photos and get her explored.
Awww, that's so sweet of you, Jack

03-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #98
Pentaxian

REALLY enjoying participating in the challenge, seeing everyone's photos and getting out there, myself. "Explore" can fly a kite, for all the fun I'm having without it. :-)

~Sara

I was actually thinking of some of yours - and some of wolfiegirl's - as illustrative of the vagaries and foolishness of Explore (ie by not being Explored).

I've only found out by someone leaving a comment "congrats on Explore" or similar, and there being more views than the usual 100 or so.

---------- Post added 8th Mar 2014 at 09:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Getting a fave or a comment from you guys is much more valuable than anything Flickr can provide.

+1 I'm learning so much from these challenges - and having so much fun
03-07-2014, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
I was actually thinking of some of yours - and some of wolfiegirl's - as illustrative of the vagaries and foolishness of Explore (ie by not being Explored).)
Well that settles it. Obviously Flickr is a chauvinist. Us babes can't catch a break! Let's not let it get us down, wolfiegirl, girlfriend. We got strength in our sisters. Ain't nothin' wrong with my matching chromosomes.
03-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #100

If it's any consolation to you, Woflie Girl and Several Snakes, I don't know what Explore is...I've just been assuming it's something along the lines of Popular on 500px.
03-07-2014, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shoot what interests you and hone your craft - seeking external validation will just take the joy from the activity.
03-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #102

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I've never had anything explored either, I can't quite figure out what needs to happen to win that lottery.
03-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Shoot what interests you and hone your craft - seeking external validation will just take the joy from the activity.
Going off that, here's an article from a Street tog I kinda idolize. Eric Kim could be a superb role model for these Single In challenges. He's been using the same 35/2 Summicron for about (I think ) 5 years now...
Here's the article, forgot it earlier http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2012/11/05/how-many-favorites-or-likes-are-enough/

Last edited by StudentBoots; 03-08-2014 at 11:43 AM.
03-07-2014, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #104
Veteran Member

Yeah, I'm just jokin' around. I've been enjoying picture-taking since before I eve knew Flickr was a thing. I do it for personal joy and an enthusiast's interest.

To be honest, I never look at the Explore page anyway.

Like wolfiegirl has already mentioned, I prefer to have real interaction, comments and critiques, rather than a pile of meaningless likes from people who look at an image for 2 seconds.

~Sara
03-08-2014, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If I might emerge from lurking and make a suggestion. Perhaps if you joined up to the Flickr Singles Challenge group it might help you get Explored
There are 99 members now, you could be 100! The link is here

Patrick