Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2014, 02:55 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I feel we are talking way to much about Flickr's explore thing. However ... somehow my extra from yesterday got in, it only had 1 comment and was in 0 groups. Go figure!

On another note we are one week into the challenge. Hope everyone is doing alright out there. I can't do this challenge back to back as some of the more hardcore members are able to (I'm looking at you Jack/Tim etc.) because I always seem to run low on steam/creativity after a while. I have found that a good source of inspiration is to read a photo book during the challenge and I thought why not share what I am reading with you guys :-) This month I am reading The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression . So far it's wonderful if a bit heavy though! Previously I have read The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos which is a fair bit lighter and more approachable.

At least if you get a book, you can take a photograph of it and call that a day

Last edited by Zorglub; 03-08-2014 at 04:10 AM.
03-08-2014, 04:13 AM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That reminds me, I've been meaning to post a review of the photography book I've been reading lately, "50 Portraits" by Gregory Heisler. Too bad there's no book review area on Pentax Forums. In short, I recommend this book unreservedly.
03-08-2014, 04:22 AM   #108
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't play the gender card girls. Most of flickr, and in fact Pentax Forums, think I'm a woman anyway.
Doesn't everyone know Sandy is the standard diminutive for Alexander?
ROFLMAO.
03-08-2014, 05:28 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Doesn't everyone know Sandy is the standard diminutive for Alexander?
No, we all thought it was the diminutive for Alexandra.

I guess it's an American thing to assume Sandy is from Sandra. (Which of course is itself from Alexandra, or sometimes Cassandra.) Funny, because Sandy as a masculine nickname is by no means unknown here.

03-08-2014, 05:37 AM   #110
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Don't play the gender card girls. Most of flickr, and in fact Pentax Forums, think I'm a woman anyway.
I thought so but what I thought was Sandy was your wife, since on Flickr, under Sandy Hancock it said Alexander. Then I started studying the way you write and realized your writing predicted you were a man. I do this a lot and nine times out of ten, I'm right.
03-08-2014, 05:51 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
I feel we are talking way to much about Flickr's explore thing
We have this flickr explore discussion every month, haha. and it's fine to me.
I haven't had any photo explored too. but no problem to me. I don't even give weight to 500px popular, since I know what sort of photos get popular. and most of my first photos which got popular wasn't that good to me, haha.

At least if you get a book, you can take a photograph of it and call that a day
Haha, I've done this with a photography mag some time ago )

---------- Post added 03-08-14 at 08:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Too bad there's no book review area on Pentax Forums.
Cool idea!
I have read a book which is superb to me! and am reading it for second time. It's this book, I have the kindle version, but I think the color/paper version would be even better.
03-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I feel we are talking way to much about Flickr's explore thing. However ... somehow my extra from yesterday got in, it only had 1 comment and was in 0 groups. Go figure!

On another note we are one week into the challenge. Hope everyone is doing alright out there. I can't do this challenge back to back as some of the more hardcore members are able to (I'm looking at you Jack/Tim etc.) because I always seem to run low on steam/creativity after a while. I have found that a good source of inspiration is to read a photo book during the challenge and I thought why not share what I am reading with you guys :-)
Explore vexes me. Been on flickr since 2008 and never hit it on explore. I guess if it happens, it happens.

I hardly count myself as hardcore! I have taken off many months since I did my first Single in Challenge in January 2011. Each month I think well that's it I'm going to take next month off but...then it comes and once more I do it again. I think some where this year I will take a break as I feel like I need to recharge too. However, it has gotten easier through practice. Never the less come mid month, I still hit that wall of effort and creation.

03-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sandy is a guy???? No Way!

Tim, you are sooooo hard core, to me anyways :-) in a good way mind you.
03-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm really pumped. It's the 8th, which means I get to shoot Eighth Street today... Fortunately, there is no Eighth Street in Sedalia and the street that is located between Seventh and Ninth Street is Broadway (AKA 50 Highway) and there is lots to see. Because there are so many lights and signs, I'm waiting until nightfall and then going out with the tripod. I haven't really done a lot with long exposure or nighttime shooting, so this is going to be a challenging evening. I hope my husband is loaded up on patience, because I've recruited him to be my chauffeur. ;-) I'm pretty excited to see what I can come up with!
03-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Too bad there's no book review area on Pentax Forums.
Perhaps you and Torben should start a new Thread for this ;-)
03-08-2014, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Perhaps you and Torben should start a new Thread for this ;-)
There were already a couple of existing threads so I've posted my review here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-tutorials-guides/240836-books-photogr...ml#post2733960
03-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tim, you are sooooo hard core, to me anyways :-) in a good way mind you.
Um...ok...I think that's a good thing.
03-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #118
Pentaxian

I think I may be out. My Tak has all of a sudden this morning gone funny: the last wee bit of throw in the focus ring (goes from <7m to infinity) has become stiff and scrapey-sounding - to the point that at the longest end of things it will start to unscrew the lens rather than focus. There are no visible signs of scraping, and it was fine yesterday; I can't figure it.
03-09-2014, 03:43 PM   #119

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
I think I may be out. My Tak has all of a sudden this morning gone funny: the last wee bit of throw in the focus ring (goes from <7m to infinity) has become stiff and scrapey-sounding - to the point that at the longest end of things it will start to unscrew the lens rather than focus. There are no visible signs of scraping, and it was fine yesterday; I can't figure it.
Rats! Why not choose another lens, I'm pretty sure no one would object.
03-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Rats! Why not choose another lens, I'm pretty sure no one would object.

Maybe.

I'm going to head to the local camera shop if I have a chance at lunch today. It might be a lubrication thing; some of what I've found online is at least a little encouraging, but sod if I know how to go about dis-or-re-assembly to lubricate/grease it.