Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #151

Bloody hell. I keep off the forum for a few days and one person is whisked away on a whirlwind adventure and another comes back from the dead. Congrats to the both of you.
I can kind of feel what you've been going through Drew. Had to deal with 20 months of various tests to figure out what the hell is wrong with me. No cancer scare, but confirmed auto-immune disorder.

03-12-2014, 11:29 PM   #152

Photos: Albums
Thank you everyone, That was one hell of a dark walk, but we made it through in fantastic shape. If I may say this, look after yourselves, keep in good shape and try to eat well. These aspects really helped me to slide past this bullet....I was one step from disaster and that is not any drama.. 90% of my 11th vertebrae was gone....Also keep as positive attitude as you can, with patience thrown in. It helps to have an awesome partner too...and friends and goals, things you want to do. I suppose I ramble on... but thank you all for you concern and support and camaraderie here. Bertrand, go out there kick some darkness til bleeds daylight. All the best to you, and you as well Stevie & Bruce.
03-13-2014, 02:32 AM   #153
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whoa! I must agree. So much going on. Take care all of you and look after yourselves.

---------- Post added 03-13-14 at 11:35 ----------

Damn, LBA is kicking in! Just looking of Dice set with DA 20-40 makes me wonder. And this lens is in discount at here in Finland ATM too...and so is FA 43... latter is my dream lens. maybe sun which has finally revealed it self is making my head spin. C'om on blizard and grey skys come and cool me of from such a thoughts.

Alright, end of confessions. Sorry about that.
03-16-2014, 01:45 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Funny you should mention LBA, repaap. I am toying with grabbing a rokinon 8mm. After a month the 03, I'd like to get my paws on a 'real' lens to compare its potential.

But honestly, I really should just stick with the lenses I already own. I think I already decided today what's going to be next up for next month. And we're only halfway through this month! arggh.

03-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #155
Veteran Member

Wolfie, I wanted to get myself an ultra wide angle lens to accommodate more landscape shots and was looking at the Rokinon/Samyang/etc 14mm, BUT, after looking through the Fish Eye Fever thread, I ended up with the Rokinon HD 8mm fisheye. I haven't used it a ton, but it is quality. Definitely changes your whole approach. The fish eye effect is crazy, but it can be adapted for some regular landscapes, too, which is what I wanted. It really forces a great sense of space and the IQ is excellent..

NOT that I encourage LBA, but... ;-) It's really not expensive for what it is!

This month, obviously only half over, has been a real trial by fire for me in this Single In... challenge. I'm happy I joined, thrilled with the participation and interaction, glad I picked the M135/3.5 and I'm loving how my collection of Sedalia Streets is shaping up, but MAN! It's a lot of work!

If I do it next month, I'm definitely taking it easy. :-) I've already been toying around with some ideas...
03-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #156
Pentaxian

Wolfiegirl, LBA is every day in my thoughts. There is so many great lenses outthere. BTW severalsnakes, I bought smmy 14/2.8. It is nice, but every now and then I think that maybe I should have gone to 8mm FE. I like Wideangle, but not that much. Sometimes I even prefer stitching more. But I don't really have fisheye yet...

If I will buy new lenses, I have to sell some. Hard thing is to choose wich ones. Oh well.
03-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #157
Veteran Member

Arggh.. ok. Maybe I should seriously consider the 8mm fisheye then.

@Severalsnakes - I used the 03 fisheye last month and really enjoyed it. But there were lots of limitations with it, and I really think I'd like to see how it compares to a 'real' lens... if that makes sense.

I've also enjoyed your little project this month. A different street each week. It's interesting seeing your neighbourhood. Very different to mine...

I must admit I'm relatively surprised at how comfortable I'm getting with the 28mm but admit to spotting *lots* of telephoto options and was seriously thinking about doing a 135 next month. All I seem to be shooting atm is landscapes, wolfiepup and a shot of the wolfies every once in a while. Subject matter is a bit blah, really. Day in, day out.. So I'm hoping with the 135 I'll be able to mix it up a bit. Still, that's still half a month away.

I might have to take my pka adapter out and swap it for a plain pk adapter. I can't seem to get the k-01 to drop down to 2.8. The widest it will go to is f4. I'm wondering if I'm missing something (quite possible). But it would be nice to take some proper bokeh shots again. Especially looking at margreetz's shots. *shakes head*

Everyone's getting so arty this month!

03-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #158
Veteran Member

Ah LBA!
For about a month I'm thinking of buying an Ultra wide lens, and looking on 15ltd, 10-17FE, 12-24, 8FE, and not yet decided which one.
03-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Wolfie - landscapes are a fine thing, but. If you want to work the wide angle, try for some "scale inversion" - make photos with deep DoF focusing on something up close with story telling background. Even though 28mm shoots "normal " it still has big depth. That Bryan Peterson has a few YouTube clips for ideas.

LBA is evil... A cruel mistress.
03-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
@Wolfie - landscapes are a fine thing, but. If you want to work the wide angle, try for some "scale inversion" - make photos with deep DoF focusing on something up close with story telling background. Even though 28mm shoots "normal " it still has big depth. That Bryan Peterson has a few YouTube clips for ideas.

LBA is evil... A cruel mistress.
Thanks, Matt for the suggestion. I'll see what I can do. Not sure it's going to be today but will definitely keep it in mind.

Yes, I've been off the LBA for a little while, esp since I 'accidently' bought another Q and 03 last month... damn sniper program...

Am really going to try as hard as I can to stick to Singles In for now. Would be great to have a year's worth of daily shots for wolfiepup to look back on later. Least that's my story. Of course whether or not I have the stamina to stick it will through, well, we shall see. And honestly, it's not like I don't have enough lenses sitting in my lens box and lens drawer and lens bag, and umm... well, you get the picture.
03-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haha, shoot with just one lens... like a 30mm 1.4 Art (L... B... A..... You know you have it)

Since everyone has been posting stitches, I did one of the Hockey Rink from my "nose bleed" seats... 27 photos published at 1024 pixels wide, and assembled in Microsoft ICE.

03-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #162
Veteran Member

mtux, I can thoroughly recommend the 10-17 FE. It is barely FE at 17, there may even be some WA lenses that show more unintended barrel distortion than the 10-17! And it is really easy to make it appear rectilinear with PP. Also, being able to go to 10 and wallow in the fishiness makes it a truly fun lens to own.
03-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #163
Veteran Member

Thanks Bagga, The only reason to include the 10-17FE in my list is using it mostly as ultra wide lens @ 17mm. But still not quite sure about it's corner performance, I don't mean edge! just 1/3 towards corners.
03-16-2014, 11:36 PM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canmannac Quote
Hi Gang... Just wanted to update you on my battle....it is over! After another negative CT scan, this time nuclear added :-) my results are NEGATIVE, ie no cancer to be located.... what a strange six weeks....still relearning the art of walking....but I have passed through this valley of darkness!!!! Thanks for the support! Drew.
Fantastic news Drew, Everything of the best from here onwards-as someone said- Enjoy life to the full.

OzzRod-Hope you have a wonderful trip-I am sooooo envious!

And all these LBA' around here-Its enough to get me into denial mode! I do not suffer from LBA, I do not suffer from LBA. I do not suffer from LBA....
03-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
I do not suffer from LBA, I do not suffer from LBA. I do not suffer from LBA....
"I don't suffer from LBA—my bank account does."