Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Single in March 2014

Welcome everyone to this monthís Single Challenge.

Aim of the Game: To post one picture every day that has been taken with a Pentax or Ricoh camera mounted with your choice of lens - but it must be the same lens for each post during the month - thatís why itís called a challenge! (Take as many pictures as you want to each day, but only one of them can be posted to the challenge. Use other lenses too as you fancy, but those shots arenít eligible for the challenge).

Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them; conversely, itís hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please donít be shy if you donít have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone elseís. Itís a very friendly group and youíll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards:Itís great fun, but as the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (itís a challenge, remember). Youíll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and youíll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one youíve chosen. In the comment banter youíll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. Caution: if youíre worried about LBA - this game doesnít help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The groupís name is ďMonthly Photo ChallengesĒ. Youíll find a clickable link on that page to join.

2. Youíll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, youíll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challengeís stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - itís on YouTube (
)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, youíll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each dayís picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath it eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo youíre using.

The thread youíre painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).
This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and youíll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. Itís the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this monthís challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first encounter. If you miss a day, donít worry. If you have any problems, please ask. Weíre a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here Ö. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/102-monthly-photo-challenges/711-faq.html

02-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #2

I'm jumping right back in with my 16-50. Been feeling rather meh about zooms and wide angles. Gonna use March to see if I still like it, and at the end I'll check the metadata to see what focal lengths I used the most.
02-24-2014, 12:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StudentBoots Quote
I'm jumping right back in with my 16-50. Been feeling rather meh about zooms and wide angles. Gonna use March to see if I still like it, and at the end I'll check the metadata to see what focal lengths I used the most.
When I'm using a zoom, most of shots are with wide and long ends of the zoom range! :/

---------- Post added 02-24-14 at 03:42 PM ----------

Well, I'm in again! and it will probably be with my DA 35.
Still need to think. haha.
02-24-2014, 01:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yay, I've joined! This will be my first Single in ____ challenge, and first pentaxforums challenge too!

Will use my DA 18-135mm unless my new lenses arrive before the month starts.

02-24-2014, 02:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
Yay, I've joined! This will be my first Single in ____ challenge, and first pentaxforums challenge too!

Will use my DA 18-135mm unless my new lenses arrive before the month starts.
Another bloody Aussie! Welcome to the madhouse!
02-24-2014, 03:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Second welcome, ausmoose.

I'll be in for March - surprising no-one, I suppose. I'll also avoid surprises by using the Takumar 135/3.5 for which I got the K-mount adaptor.

---------- Post added 24th Feb 2014 at 09:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
When I'm using a zoom, most of shots are with wide and long ends of the zoom range! :/

Same here. And the vast majority are at the long end. I'm not a fan of zooms
02-24-2014, 06:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Hi there.

So I have not decided yet. Might be that I'll bail out at last moment...but If I dont, it could be month with DA*55(which has been neglected for months as my main lens) or M135. Depends if it will be raining a lot...I'd like to get some narrow Dof shots...
02-24-2014, 06:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I will revive my failed January attempt and shoot monochrome square format to some extend. I have a few panoramas planned as well. I will use the K-01 with FA 35 f2. It was the very first lens I bought and I have not used it much since I got the 40mm f2.8.

Last edited by Zorglub; 02-27-2014 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Change of plans...
02-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Sandy for once again putting up the next month's challenge threads!

This past weekend my mind started to drift towards March and the old questions came back, 1) do I really want to do another month of this crazy challenge?, 2) which freakin' lens would I use and why?. Not surprisingly, I still don't have answers to either of these. I'm likely to be in for March but don't know where I want to go with lenses - yet.

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 02-24-2014 at 07:48 AM.
02-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I will probably be a go. I want to use my 18-135 zoom and take a chance to explore my real FL preferences. Should be an education. Truth is I should have used it this month with all the rain...but I digress.
02-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
I'm pretty certain I noticed that with the DA 18-55 almost all my shots are at 55mm. (The old F 70-210 varies a bit more, as does the DA 18-135. Though I expect they're both probably more towards one of the two ends as well.)

I think I'm probably going to be sitting out this month so that I can play around with some of my lenses. There are a handful I haven't used yet as I haven't had the chance. I'll be back come April.
02-25-2014, 12:10 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Thanks Sandy for once again putting up the next month's challenge threads!
No worries, mate
02-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Another bloody Aussie! Welcome to the madhouse!
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Second welcome, ausmoose.
Thanks for the welcomes.. should be fun
02-25-2014, 01:27 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm undecided yet. I'm still waiting on the reverse ring for my two 50s. I was going to use them in March. If I do join this next month, I guess I could use the A 50 alone, I just don't know that it would be good to use it since most everything except macro shots are birds. I'll let ya'll know by Friday if or not.
02-25-2014, 02:27 AM   #15
Pentaxian

February went by way faster than I expected. Am not quite burnt out yet, so might keep going and see if I can slowly but surely make it to 365 this year...

I'm thinking I might start moving up my FL bit by bit, and try out my next widest prime, which is a Tamron 28mm, possibly with my k100d as the lcd in sunlight/miss focus is driving me crazy again.

I am also curious to see if I still hate 28mm after my last try with it last year. I ended up selling that Tamron 28mm 2.5. I think this one is either a 2.8 or 3.5. That might drive me a bit crazy though because I really want to get back to shooting wolfiepup and the fast fifty in January showed me I really need something fast. I worry that 3.5 won't be fast enough. Then again, everything I own is 2.8 or higher, bar my fast fifties. Hrmm... things to think about... Still, 3 more days to go before I need to decide/commit.