Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks people for encouraging me to buy the DFA100mm macro lens, it is way better than my M100 macro lens, in terms of sharpness. and it is just as small as the M lens! even after focusing to 1:1 it is in the same size of the M lens at 1:2! I love the feel of it, and WR feature.

04-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #242
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm out for the rest of the month. Too many missed days and half-hearted postings, and a busy week coming up. I remain in awe of those of you who can manage this month after month! I hope to rejoin before too long I might pop in again on Monday for self-portrait day, since I guess I ought to post at least one portrait having chosen what is generally considered a portrait lens for the month .

Mini-review:

SMC Pentax 1:1.8 85mm (AKA "K85/1.8")

A highly sought-after lens I finally got my hands on last month. Has the classic "K series" quality of build. Compact for a fast 85; takes a 52mm filter. As with many lenses in the original "K series" this one has the same optical formula as its most recent Takumar equivalent. With a MFD of .85m it is by no means a near-macro lens, but of course one of its main uses is for portraiture. I can't report on its performance as a portrait lens, having not really used it as such yet. Stopped down it is a good sharp lens, reputedly one of the sharper short telephotos in the Pentax lineup, and an excellent landscape lens. You can say that about lots of lenses, but some 85s are optimized for close focus and might not perform so well at infinity. This one does, even for astrophotography, where I used it between f/2.8 and f/4 with good results. I haven't done much other shooting at larger apertures yet, but so far the bokeh seems very smooth (well, it damn well better be for such a lens!).

04-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saddening news about Bruce, it has been a long battle and seemingly ended so quickly. My sincere condolences to Pam and the rest of the family. Wonderful man he was, friendly and helpful. RIP.
04-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #244
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Bruce Stephenson (Bramela) Final Update

Bruce passed away late last night, peacefully in hospital, with his wife Pam beside him. There was nothing more that the medicos could do, other than ease his final hours. When you think back to the blunt prognosis last year, he put up a great fight. Rest easy, mate.
Always sad to learn of the passing of a fellow in whatever circle one may be in.

Although I only had a few interactions with him here, it was clear that the man was a positive presence in this group. May he rest well, and may his family and friends find a way to ease their grief and sorrow.

04-19-2014, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #245
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like Jeff, I think it's time for me to stop pretending. My thoughts on the Helios 44-2 (58mm f/2.0):

This is my first time using an old fully-manual lens, so stop-down metering with the green button was a new experience for me. In general it worked very well, although the position of the green button on the K-01 makes it difficult to reach while keeping the subject framed. The preset feature of the lens (in combination with the K-01's focus peaking) certainly aided focussing, but again was a bit of a fiddle when preparing for the shot. While on the subject of focussing, the throw from its (nicely close) MFD to infinity is *really* long, which I guess aids precision but also makes the process quite slow.

Optically it is a quirky lens, which can produce some interesting, and occasionally pleasing effects. It is very soft wide open, but can put a nice glow into images and the bokeh is very smooth. Stopped down it is respectably sharp in the centre but the edges are poor even on a crop sensor. Again, with awareness, this can be used to good effect. I had limited success in producing the characteristic swirly bokeh this lens is renowned for when stopped down a little from wide open. I found the focal length a little tight for general use

To summarise: honestly, I can't imagine ever reaching for this lens when I have a DA*55 in the bag. On the other hand, if I can get my hands on a good A50/1.2 or A*85/1.4 I might be tempted to attempt another manual month....
04-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #246
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Of course. Here's an idea:

Kicked in the head by a train - YouTube

That video is making the rounds. I've seen it on a half dozen forums now.
04-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #247

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
This isn't the best quality as I tend to shake, but it's a video of the ice flows heading north on the Red River:

https://flic.kr/p/neZvQ4

04-20-2014, 12:08 AM   #248
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
This isn't the best quality as I tend to shake, but it's a video of the ice flows heading north on the Red River:

https://flic.kr/p/neZvQ4

Impressive, that ice.
04-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Made a real try to catch up on commenting.. but I have to go get dinner now and a quick walk for some exercise - sitting for hours in one place is bad for my sciatica... I know.. cry me a river
04-20-2014, 10:24 PM   #250
Pentaxian

My computer's been crashing a lot when I try to edit my shots, so I may have to bow out so that I can tear it apart and try to isolate the problem. We'll see how the week progresses.
04-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #251
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so, are we bothering with the selfie day? i have an idea but it will require a trip across town that I'm not sure I want to make if the group effort is not happening....maybe I'll just do it anyway... probably will but still, anybody else still in?
04-21-2014, 12:01 AM   #252
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes Todd do it! I'll be posting shortly, and others re-iterated their intentions a few days back.
04-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #253
Pentaxian

Mine's up already. Get to it
04-21-2014, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #254
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bruce Stephenson

Just to keep people in the picture ..... yes, Adam is aware of Bruce's passing and he is preparing a Forum-wide post. I have no date for the funeral yet but expect it will be late this week. With Adam's endorsement I have prepared a card on behalf of all forum members. It will accompany a bright, brassy bunch of flowers that will be made up when our local florist re-opens after Easter tomorrow and I'll drop it over to Pam and Leanne.
04-21-2014, 03:19 AM   #255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Just to keep people in the picture ..... yes, Adam is aware of Bruce's passing and he is preparing a Forum-wide post. I have no date for the funeral yet but expect it will be late this week. With Adam's endorsement I have prepared a card on behalf of all forum members. It will accompany a bright, brassy bunch of flowers that will be made up when our local florist re-opens after Easter tomorrow and I'll drop it over to Pam and Leanne.
Thanks Rod, for the card, flowers and info.