Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I've said this many times. For film, 135mm was a wonderful length, for digital on a cropped sensor, I've just never found the love there.

I quite like the focal length actually, but after my 28mm couple of months, nothing seems to compare.

05-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #302
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm now thinking about something between 50mm and 100mm for portraits and people shots. Maybe a 70 or 77. I'm sure that 50-135mm lens is the perfect range, but it's too big and heavy for me.
Fortunately I'm not around my family for most of the year, so it's only usable for this time of the year, maybe for next year.
05-03-2014, 12:02 AM   #303
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
I'm now thinking about something between 50mm and 100mm for portraits and people shots. Maybe a 70 or 77. I'm sure that 50-135mm lens is the perfect range, but it's too big and heavy for me.
Mate, you totally need an FA77 in your life. Trust me
05-03-2014, 12:15 AM   #304
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Mate, you totally need an FA77 in your life. Trust me
Yes, I'm feeling it.

05-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #305
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great end of month reviews, and that MX-1, gotta keep the wallet hidden :-)

For me it was not a great experience with the 60-250. Nothing wrong with the lens, I just don't want to lug it around and when I do I feel like a paparazzi.
05-03-2014, 03:54 AM   #306
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well... what a terrible effort I made with the 18-135mm.

My initial thoughts were to blame the lens for it's lack of creative inspiration. But what I think it truly is, is a combination of things. One, the lens is not new to me and didn't have that fascination factor and two, my work roster just makes it too difficult to keep up with this challenge. I work shift work, 2 days, 2 nights and 4 days off (12 hour shifts). My days I am out the door when it is dark and home when it is dark. My night shifts pretty much consist of my sleeping as much as possible but does allow some time to take a photo. And then I get four days which give me all the time in the world. Even then I didn't have the urge to go out taking photo due to point 1.

What I did discover though is this lens is very, very capable. The shots I took with it, I was more than happy with them and honestly do not think I would have achieved much better with either of my FA Ltds (31 & 77). Coupled with my K-3 it has a great resolution and despite it being a zoom there were instances where I took pictures at a much, much wider focal length than my final crop turned out to be. Also the minimum focus distance on this lens is very, very close. I do not have a macro lens, but until I do get one I will definitely be using this one to almost replicate one.

The biggest thing I did learn from this months challenge was a photography fundamental...

Great light is crucial for great photos.

Not only were the good photos I took this month in great light, I realised back to the more popular photos I have ever taken and realised they all had special lighting... Either sunrise or sunset.
05-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #307
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no doubt why golden hour got its moniker. A valuable insight. My Single in January with the Industar had many special photos because my schedule aligned well with the rising sun.