Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2014, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Single in April 2014

Welcome everyone to this month’s Single Challenge.

Aim of the Game: To post one picture every day that has been taken with a Pentax or Ricoh camera mounted with your choice of lens - but it must be the same lens for each post during the month - that’s why it’s called a challenge! (Take as many pictures as you want to each day, but only one of them can be posted to the challenge. Use other lenses too as you fancy, but those shots aren’t eligible for the challenge).

Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them; conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards:It’s great fun, but as the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember). You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. Caution: if you’re worried about LBA - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - it’s on YouTube

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath it eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).
This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and you’ll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first encounter. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here.

---------- Post added 26-03-14 at 04:09 PM ----------

Please note: A film version of the challenge is scheduled for May.

Last edited by OzzRod; 03-25-2014 at 10:10 PM.
03-25-2014, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for new challenge thread Rod.

I'm gonna join again, it supposed to be the month for DA35, but now that DA15 is on the way, I may change my mind.
But I need to get familiar with DA35 before my annual trip to Iran, which I think this lens will be on my Camera most of the times there. :/
03-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll be in again of course. Most likely lens is the Helios 44-2, which I inherited from daughter's boyfriend's parents, now I have a properly fitting OEM adaptor. Expect a lot of swirly-bokehed shots as the glorious Adelaide Hills puts on its autumn spectacle.
03-25-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think I'll join in this month, although I will be moving and have a lot to do that will steal time.

03-26-2014, 01:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Good work Rod for putting this up.

Well As for this month(March) has been challenging for me next month will be our nature waking up...lot to shoot, If I have time, that is. I have to think about this. Might be macro time, If i join, but it might be something wider too. let's see.
03-26-2014, 01:35 AM   #6
Forum Member

Sounds like a very interesting challenge. I'll join this month. Will be working with a half broken K-5 and trying to decide between using the Sigma 70 macro of the FA 50 1.4 . Decisions decisions...
03-26-2014, 01:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Decisions decisions ... I'm almost certain I'm going to use my new (to me) Soligor 1:2.8/35mm; my only hesitation is the difficulty I've had seeing shots with the 135, which makes me think perhaps I should keep using it for another month. Depends on how much of a glutton for punishment I decide I am, I guess.

03-26-2014, 02:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm almost definitely going to use my DA 18-135mm, as I haven't got a real M42 converter (YET) and most of my lenses I bought second hand recently are m42 mount. Just have one of those crappy cheap adapters at the moment that gets stuck on your camera and is really hard to get off All I got from that was a tiny use of my 135mm Takumar and many scratches on my actual mount while trying to take the adapter off, as well as much dust which is still on my mirror and showing up in all my photos (I don't have a rocket blower or similar yet).
03-26-2014, 02:58 AM   #9

I'm in for another month. This time with the Tamron 55BB mirror lens on the K5
03-26-2014, 03:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hypernotactive Quote
Looking forward to a month of mirror lens usage.
03-26-2014, 03:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hypernotactive Quote

A month at 500mm? Wow - brave
03-26-2014, 04:44 AM   #12

A month with the russian MTO1100A monstermirror would be brave. And that is something i plan for a later S-I-C
03-26-2014, 04:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Contemplating this again (in my alternating month pattern I've started). Options are 10-20, 18-135 or 77? Usually I have something I know coming up which dictates which lens I'll use for the month but as far as I know I don't have anything special yet. Might go the 18-135 just give myself some freedom and hopefully a bit easier month having some focal length options.
03-26-2014, 07:40 AM   #14
Forum Member

The 18-135 makes it way too versatile. Oh come on have some fun, add a bit of challenge to it and get rid of the zoom, add a prime. Or shoot only at 135 end
03-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm thinking of struggling with a wide-angle and my pretty new da 14mm F2.8 sounds promising. Unless I come up with some weird stuff.