Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2014, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #256
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Next time you are in Adelaide Rod: mi casa, su casa.

04-21-2014, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A quick hello to the Singles crowd. Holiday snap straight out of the camera from the island of Langkawi, Malaysia.

Image as crunched down in size by the forum photo uploader as I am posting by phone from an EyeFi card transferred image. WB looks a little green but the original image is shot in RAW so will sort WB back at home.

Magnificent scenery, lovely people. Worth a visit.

Off to Kuala Lumpur tomorrow for a few days.

Sorry to hear of Bruce's passing. Thanks Rod for organizing card and flowers on behalf of the forum.
04-21-2014, 05:09 AM   #258
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's my birthday and I am so pumped to see a multitude of selfies! I have been busy this weekend with birthday/holiday/family stuff, but I've been snapping shots, just no time to post them. It is bright and early in Missouri as I'm writing this, and I'm going to work a full day, then go out to visit my family, where I intend to get today's Single-In Self-portrait. I know I asked for the 21st to be selfie-day, so I didn't want people to think I wasn't playing, too! I have pictures, just need to catch up on posting! Can't wait! :-D
04-21-2014, 05:40 AM   #259
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Just to keep people in the picture ..... yes, Adam is aware of Bruce's passing and he is preparing a Forum-wide post. I have no date for the funeral yet but expect it will be late this week. With Adam's endorsement I have prepared a card on behalf of all forum members. It will accompany a bright, brassy bunch of flowers that will be made up when our local florist re-opens after Easter tomorrow and I'll drop it over to Pam and Leanne.

Thanks Rod

04-21-2014, 06:42 AM   #260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Made a real try to catch up on commenting.. but I have to go get dinner now and a quick walk for some exercise - sitting for hours in one place is bad for my sciatica... I know.. cry me a river
Thanks for the effort Matt.
04-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #261
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Single in May 2014

April seems to have been a bit of a struggle; perhaps all the selfies for Sara's birthday will rekindle enthusiasm for May

Of course there's still a week left to go in this month but I'm outa here tomorrow until late May. Looking forward to meeting utak in London this Saturday and repaap in Helsinki the following Friday

The May Discussion thread is here.
The Picture thread is here.

Last edited by OzzRod; 04-22-2014 at 02:49 AM.
04-22-2014, 02:30 AM   #262
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Of course there's still a week left to go in this month but I'm outa here tomorrow until late May. Looking forward to meeting utak in London this Saturday and repaap in Helsinki the following Friday
Thanks for keeping up the good work Rod, Enjoy your trip.

Your link is to April thread not May.

04-22-2014, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #263
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
Thanks for keeping up the good work Rod, Enjoy your trip.

Your link is to April thread not May.
Gees I'm a goose sometimes. Thanks for the alert Mehrdad. Fixed now.
04-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #264
Veteran Member

In my tests while buying the DFA100 macro WR lens, I saw so much CA, which I was going to hold back on the lens.
but it was good value, and I decided to have it for the coming trip, so bought the lens thinking about LR5 CA correction.

Today I had the lens with me during my morning walk, and I don't know where those CAs went in real life and that's great
here are two shots with the lens:

I also shot another with the bright sky in background, but it has no CA too :/
I think Pentax made this lens as field/outdoor, and it doesn't perform well indoor. haha.
04-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #265
Pentaxian

In my tests while buying the DFA100 macro WR lens, I saw so much CA, which I was going to hold back on the lens.
but it was good value, and I decided to have it for the coming trip, so bought the lens thinking about LR5 CA correction.
The CA is terrible on the non-WR copy I'm using this month. I believe they're the same optical formula, so I'm not surprised that you're seeing it with the WR version as well. That said, I see it mostly at portrait & landscape ranges -- even stopped down a fair bit -- and almost none at macro ranges.
04-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #266
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
That said, I see it mostly at portrait & landscape ranges -- even stopped down a fair bit -- and almost none at macro ranges.
Too bad! I have plans on using this lens for portraits. :/
I stunned that the CA is worse than the M100 macro lens! I expected a Digital era lens to be better at least in this aspect.
04-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #267
Pentaxian

Too bad! I have plans on using this lens for portraits. :/
I stunned that the CA is worse than the M100 macro lens! I expected a Digital era lens to be better at least in this aspect.
It's certainly not beyond the ability of LR to correct for. (And I may just have a particularly bad copy, since I've no other copy to compare it to.)
04-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also shot another with the bright sky in background, but it has no CA too :/
I think Pentax made this lens as field/outdoor, and it doesn't perform well indoor. haha.
The CA and especially purple fringing on my copy of the DFA 100 WR macro is awful. I have the Tokina 100 macro for my Nikon (reputedly the same lens optically) and the CA and purple fringing is virtually non-existent.
I wish I had kept my Tamron 90 macro, it wasn't WR but it was optically much better.

Since many of the high end 'Pentax' lenses are made by Tokina, you have to wonder what went wrong with the DFA 100 WR macro? Or did we just get bad copies?
04-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #269
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
I wish I had kept my Tamron 90 macro, it wasn't WR but it was optically much better.
Well, There was two pluses for DFA lens over Tamron for me(WR, size), and one for Tamron(focus limit), so still I'm not sure if I did the wrong thing because a new copy of Tamron is cheaper. haha.
But time will tell.
04-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #270
Inactive Account

Gudday all

Have just heard the sad news about Bruce (thanks Rod). Our deepest sympathies to Pam and the family.

He was and still is a great mentor to me. Top bloke Bruce.

Cheers Paddy