Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Single in May 2014

Welcome everyone to this month’s Single Challenge.

Aim of the Game: To post one picture every day that has been taken with a Pentax or Ricoh camera mounted with your choice of lens - but it must be the same lens for each post during the month - that’s why it’s called a challenge! (Take as many pictures as you want to each day, but only one of them can be posted to the challenge. Use other lenses too as you fancy, but those shots aren’t eligible for the challenge).

Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them; conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: It’s great fun, but as the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember). You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. Caution: if you’re worried about LBA - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - you'll find it

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath it eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).
This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and you’ll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first encounter. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here.

04-22-2014, 01:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hrmm... is it May already?! I've missed a few days in April and have been off the internet for blocks of days so probably don't feel as plugged in as usual.

Will be in for May. Not sure yet what to go for as I feel like I'm only just starting to get into the 135 groove. Might drop back to a 50mm or pull out a zoom for a change. Undecided. Will think about it more as this week continues.
04-22-2014, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Well, I have several new lenses to try, but I'll be in Iran most of the May, and so far lenses I decided to take there are Tamron 17-50, DA35 and DFA100macro.
I might not find time to post on a daily bases, but will post them whenever I found time to.

I should decide between the Tamron and DFA100, Not sure yet.
04-22-2014, 02:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll probably sit it out, but who knows what I'll think in a week's time....

04-22-2014, 04:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wasn't May going to be a month of film for those who were interested? I've been ruminating on original Pentax 6x7 and Takumar 6x7 90mm f2.8 (Though I have cleared out my K1000 and loaded it with some nice Ektar 100 - in which I would shoot Pentax 55/2). Still some time to decide.
04-22-2014, 04:27 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Wasn't May going to be a month of film for those who were interested? I've been ruminating on original Pentax 6x7 and Takumar 6x7 90mm f2.8 (Though I have cleared out my K1000 and loaded it with some nice Ektar 100 - in which I would shoot Pentax 55/2). Still some time to decide.
Yes it was Matt, running within or parallel to the normal monthly challenge - Jackassp "in charge". Perhaps give him a nudge
04-22-2014, 04:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been shooting a lot more with my Nikon gear, and really enjoying it, so it's a no from me this time.

Last edited by jackassp; 04-22-2014 at 03:24 PM.
04-22-2014, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Single in May 2014

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'll probably sit it out, but who knows what I'll think in a week's time....

As for me, I'm in. If the travelling Industar 50mm arrives from Mattt in the next week or so I'll use that - otherwise I'll have to repeat a lens; I'm thinking in that case I'd do another month with my Sigma 30mm f/1.4. I probably won't be quite so anti it now that I've adjusted the back-focusing.
04-22-2014, 05:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote

As for me, I'm in. If the travelling Industar 50mm arrives from Mattt in the next week or so I'll use that - otherwise I'll have to repeat a lens; I'm thinking in that case I'd do another month with my Sigma 30mm f/1.4. I probably won't be quite so anti it now that I've adjusted the back-focusing.
Truly on the slow boat.... Let me know when it arrives
04-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I suppose that means I should finish running that test roll through my Spottie so I can confirm it works before May arrives.
04-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I meant to say in my previous post was that I won't participate in the daily "single" shooting, but I will commit to shooting film a "few" days per week at most.

I'm happy to start a thread for this, it sounds like there are at least four or five of us willing to shoot.
For the film month, shoot when you can, post a bunch of shots when you can, let's relax the rules to fit everyone in who can shoot film?

JP

Last edited by jackassp; 04-22-2014 at 03:55 PM.
04-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
let's relax the rules to fit everyone in who can shoot film?
Yep, I wouldn't expect to see postings more frequent than weekly from me - I'll be shooting Colour (Ektar 100 or Portra 400) and my local shop only processes once per week.
04-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Truly on the slow boat.... Let me know when it arrives

Is no probs. Will do.
04-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to see the traveling Industar making another trip! I regret that I haven't been following closely enough to know about your experiences with it Mattt. Have you shots you can link me over to? I will check for them on flickr...

I am probably out for May. You guys and gals probably can't tell but I tend to really push myself with these challenges and my mind is so majorly warped from living in the fisheye bowl right now that I am going to need some decompression time and if I try to rush right into the Single challenge with my recently purchased FA43 that I've barely used (relatively speaking), it could very well be a frustrating experience that I must try to avoid. So I'll probably take a month off and then do the June challenge with FA43...

Can somebody fill me in on how the film challenge works? Do you just take shots all month then share them the following month? I have my two 35mm bodies loaded with film right now and at the rate I am going the film could expire before I finish the rolls...
04-23-2014, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Glad to see the traveling Industar making another trip! I regret that I haven't been following closely enough to know about your experiences with it Mattt. Have you shots you can link me over to? I will check for them on flickr...
I shot Single in January 2014 with the Industar, but there are a few other photos posted. I always tag lens info so it is easy to provide a link here: https://www.flickr.com/search/?tags=industar502&tag_mode=all&sort=relevance&...47998611%40N03