Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2014, 04:00 AM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
Saw both your posts. So when is wolfiegirl getting it?

When she puts her hand up again Maybe after you.

07-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
When she puts her hand up again Maybe after you.
Hmm. Well I couldn't do it for this month's challenge, but maybe August or September, depending on when I get it.
07-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally I found time to review my June lens, DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8
I had a really productive month, with this lens, because of it's range and my plans I went more than 20 days to nearby Parks to shoot something.
One important thing that I learned from this daily challenge is that the best lens is really the one mounted on your camera, and now I see the ability to produce some shots in any place no matter what lens is mounted. (That's great)
One of my main plans for month was shooting birds and monkeys, which near the end of month I exhausted about the latter one.
Also during this month I learned a lot about Black and White photography, Thanks to your comments which encouraged me to continue it.

So, about the lens:
I found it a really nice consumer long zoom. it's range is very good going from 55mm up to 300mm and the size is just fine.
It produces some nice colors at times that the light is perfect, but other times I had to bump up vibrance in LR which I'm OK with it, and know that RAW files should need it. meaning if it doesn't need the lens is superb, which is the case with limiteds.
in terms of sharpness, it produces really sharp photos around f/8 and f/11 but it is really good at f/6.7 and even wide open, it's really good. (I've set my K30 to go 1/2 stop in aperture/shutter speed/ISO values)

If I'm going to list cons of this lens, I should say, it's slow (f/5.6 from 200mm to 300mm), but it's a consumer zoom! you shouldn't expect faster, correct?
Also it's auto focus is really slow, comparing to my F70-210mm which is harsh and fast.

My best shot of the month, according to your faves is this pano:

But I really like so many of them that doesn't really feel good to add all of them here.

Thanks everyone for your comments and faves during the month.
I'm really enjoying this challenge to the end.

Last edited by mtux; 07-02-2014 at 07:31 PM.
07-21-2014, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #169
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another in PPG for June's photos. My proud lizard shot: