Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2014, 05:31 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I'm actually debating giving the SI a whirl, busted camera or not. I picked up an old 300mm prime and I've been itching for an excuse to use it. If people don't mind seeing some ugly damage in my shots for a month, I may be game to try it.
It would be awesome to add you to the Single In family Jody!

09-25-2014, 06:03 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll be returning for the October challenge. Have recently purchased a few m42 lenses...may give one of them a try...we shall see...
09-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I will be sort-of in. I have looked at my schedule in October, and it will either be completely bombastically hectic, or a complete snooze fest. When I can, I will participate with my new (to me) A 24/2.8. I started September with both it and the Sigma Macro, and decided 2 lenses was 1 too many, especially given the name of the challenge!
09-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I will be sort-of in. I have looked at my schedule in October, and it will either be completely bombastically hectic, or a complete snooze fest. When I can, I will participate with my new (to me) A 24/2.8. I started September with both it and the Sigma Macro, and decided 2 lenses was 1 too many, especially given the name of the challenge!
Looking forward to your shots with it.

09-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thnking about October in but will let you all know the first day. Still struggling to get myself in gear here. Some days are great, others not so nice and I sleep a lot.
09-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #21

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Thnking about October in but will let you all know the first day. Still struggling to get myself in gear here. Some days are great, others not so nice and I sleep a lot.
That's exactly how I feel, I have barely been into September's challenge and I am going away for a wedding (not mine) in the middle of the month and that will make things interesting. If I am in I think I'll use my Pentax 18-135mm lens as it is a good walk around lens.
09-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
What is this "ugly damage" you speak of? Either way, if you're wanting to take pictures, you should definitely join!

Sandy: Fish eye on the Q? That would be sweet! I'd like to see it.
My two year old (at the time) got at my sensor, and I compounded the problem trying to fix what he did. I can't stop down much past f/5.6 because ouch.

What you're seeing is the melted rubber from a pencil eraser, with scratches in the rubber itself from where I tried getting rid of it before giving up. I can still take some pretty decent shots with the camera, I'm just limited in what I try to shoot and at what apertures (wide is good, narrow is very, very bad). As a tip, if you ever get rubber on your sensor, do not, under *any* circumstances, try a wet clean. The results are not pretty if you do.

09-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

What you're seeing is the melted rubber from a pencil eraser, with scratches in the rubber itself from where I tried getting rid of it before giving up. I can still take some pretty decent shots with the camera, I'm just limited in what I try to shoot and at what apertures (wide is good, narrow is very, very bad). As a tip, if you ever get rubber on your sensor, do not, under *any* circumstances, try a wet clean. The results are not pretty if you do.
I guess this effect and the limitations can make for a real challenge
09-25-2014, 07:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
I guess this effect and the limitations can make for a real challenge
Part of me is actually kind of happy it happened, in hindsight. Having that much of a limitation on what I can and can't do has really, REALLY helped me learn to shoot wide, and to be aware of how the light is (flare is bad, it shows the damage off in a grand manner), and etc etc.

That doesn't mean as soon as I no longer have to work with the damage I'm not going to spend about 6 months camped out at f/16 though. I wanna be able to take my landscapes again!
09-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pbancr Quote
I'll be returning for the October challenge. Have recently purchased a few m42 lenses...may give one of them a try...we shall see...
Good one Pam; do choose one of them
09-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

My two year old (at the time) got at my sensor, and I compounded the problem trying to fix what he did. I can't stop down much past f/5.6 because ouch.

Wow!! That IS a challenge! I think you could go with it, though. We'll be cool. :-) Sh*t happens.
09-26-2014, 02:29 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Maaaaaaaaaan.

Kids...
09-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After a nasty health scare, I'm going to rejoin. Will try to resume September tomorrow, and for October I'm going wide, somewhere between 10 and 28...
Sorry for my absence...
09-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
After a nasty health scare, I'm going to rejoin. Will try to resume September tomorrow, and for October I'm going wide, somewhere between 10 and 28...
Sorry for my absence...

Sorry for your nasty scare; I'm glad you're ok (i assume) and feeling like re-joining. I look forward to it
09-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #30

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
Sorry for my absence...
No problem, I'm glad to see you rejoin us.