Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-09-2014, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Post Processing Challenge #123 - The "Winner"

Ok here we go, a lot of different interpretation of the image and really showcase the different ideas/emphasis people have on the same scene, due to the back lighting, colour edits are harder to get right, while overall colour entries are good, in the end I narrow it down to 3 monochrome entries,

And the winner is {drum roll}

unkipunki - your B/W edit works better than the colour one IMHO, the edit around the bridge really makes it stand out, all the elements has been arranged to draw the attention to the skyline, so you are the winner this week!

Runner-up

mtux - Ah, old school feel, nice, could be straight from pages of old magazines. Your crop is the only one that left the Sydney Harbour Bridge out, but I am not bother by that, a unique take on the image, well done!

Third place,

JHfwp - A lower contrast, completely different feel(fine art?) that I actually like a lot, the paddler really stand out in the foreground here, but if that's your intend, why not take the boat out too?

Comments on other entries

D1N0 - I like the dramatic feel of the end result,the crop works well in maintaining the attention to the cityscape with dramatic sky contrasting the bright water on top and bottom, however I am afraid the halo around edges is a pet hate of mine so points deducted for that :P

ChristianRock - Great sunset feel to the image, slightly glowing look works well in getting a relaxed feel across, nicely done.

RonakG - An alternative colour palette, a bit of spit toning perhaps? Your crop emphasis the sparkling of the water more and I get that, but again the halo around the edges is a bit irritating to me, but overall very nice rendition.

atupdate - a very different crop, others chose wider aspect ratio to emphasis the skyline, yours draws more attention to the paddler in the foreground, however for me the black is too much and drown out the detail, another thing is that while the city skyline on the left appears to be backlit, the Harbour Bridge is almost lost in the darkness which is a bit odd.

Clarity - Alternative PP method for the win! Interestingly your edit to me seems to have the top right corner the bright end and bottom left the dark end, a very different dynamic.

nicomis - Film grains! Could use a tiny be boost of shadows but still very nice.

unkipunki - very nice panorama crop, very good clarity

Dan Rentea - panorama crop again, this time a slightly hazy look.

dansu - A delightful lighter/brighter tone, nice change from the darker/edgier look from other entries.

Sumit Floyd Chaterji - Take1, the sky tone is nice, however bottom left corner is a bit too dark for my taste.

Take2, very surreal the tone that you chose, but again the city skyline to the left looks like backlit when we know the light source is the sun to top right, a bit odd that's all.

discharged - Interesting rearrangement of the elements in the foreground, I think they are called paddler or something rather, crop works very well here.

d1224m - The edit might be simple but the result is very good, low key process gives a different feel to the image and I like that.

sonrock666 - interesting crop but as most other people have noticed, the bottom of the image is bit empty and doesn't add much to the overall image, cropping a bit more would be my suggestion.

15anthony15 - your edit of the kayak part makes a difference and he stands out more in the overal image, great work.

LarsW - a completely different colour toning and a much tighter crop, now you make me wonder if this image can work as a square crop for Instagram

wildman - lol this is not for journalist so accuracy is not the key here. your colour edit has a HDR or a painting feel to it, which contrast other entries' more realistic approach very nicely, as for the B/W apart from the ND filter you added darkens the tip of the buildings a bit it's very nice, come to think of it it makes the building stands out more against sky so it's not a bad thing.

astonm - Do not afraid of the water lol nice one, believe or not we do have sunset in this colour occasionally

schnitzer79 - very nice sepia conversion, the skyline is maintained very well here, no haloing at all.

todd - a much tighter crop, out of the two I actually like the BW version more, I don't know but the colour one has a split toning feel to it anway.

Schraubstock - hahaha! you never know! Garden Island Navy base is not that far anyway.

Mrik - Nice entry, the paddler pops out here.

10-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
mtux - Ah, old school feel, nice, could be straight from pages of old magazines. Your crop is the only one that left the Sydney Harbour Bridge out, but I am not bother by that, a unique take on the image, well done!
Oh, thank you, well my main subject was the paddler.
and thanks for placing.
10-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Congratulations to the winner and runner ups. Great work.

Thanks elpolodiablo for all the effort.
10-10-2014, 03:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Congratulations to unkipunki. If you need a place to store full size files for the next challenge, we have a site available at Mediafire.

Information for the next host:
The MediaFire website is: mediafire.com
The log in name is: pentaxchallenge @ yahoo.com
The password is: postprocessing

If you could copy and paste the above information into your challenge, it would be helpful for the next winner.

Tim

10-10-2014, 04:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Congrats @unkipunki and the others. Elpolodiablo thanks for the nice pic and elaborate judging.
10-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
congrats to the winner and thanks to the op for hosting this thread and for the judging. very detailed judging indeed!
10-13-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

New challenge https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/27...nge-124-a.html

10-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Congrats to the winner. And thanks, Elpolodiablo, for your judging and for your take on all of the entries.