View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
10-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are a few newer members entering this challenge and they have some skills. Great to see it.

Tim
10-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #19

This is mine.

Adriano

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
There are a few newer members entering this challenge and they have some skills. Great to see it.
Yep! Glad to have them making my job harder..

A few more days for entries! Keep 'em coming!
10-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote

Tim
I'm glad to see the quality of the entry's, I almost didn't try because I don't want to spoil the tread.

@Todd, The quality of the limitds lens really shows. Photography has a lot to do with taste and prefference, but I like this photo a lot!

I like to work with selective edits, I did some selective sharpening and dodging and burning using ajustment layers. I tried the color lookup ajustment layer again and did some selective ajustments with that (the color of the water for instance)

This edit doesn't look good on my second monitor (I really need to buy a screen calibration unit), so I hope your screen will show it as intended.
Attached Images

10-22-2014, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll play:

Last edited by Parallax; 04-17-2020 at 11:18 AM.
10-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #23

@clarity I'm looking at your edit on a calibrated screen and it looks good, a bit too bright for my taste but that might be what todd likes.

And while on the topic:

Just out of curiosity how many here has a calibrated screen for editing? Just edit your entry and make a note if it was done on a calibrated screen or not. I will edit mine atleast and note that my screen is calibrated.

Last edited by discharged; 10-22-2014 at 02:44 PM.
10-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
out of curiosity how many here has a calibrated screen for editing?
not I. would love to calibrate but too much a of cheap skate... i will compare on multiple monitors and smartphone when I am curious... If somebody was paying me to make pictures I'd definitely pay up though...
10-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I don't really care for the lighting, but I will bite.

I tried to keep it simple, and didn't fool around too much with trying to even out the lighting in the scene, I am not sure which direction I would have liked to have gone with this, but just for the sake of getting something out there, here it is.

and in response to Discharged, I use a colour calibrated monitor. I have two Dell UltraSharp U2410's. They came pre-calibrated from Dell, and I haven't seen any need to change it, it doesn't matter if your monitor is calibrated or not for the most part, the only important thing is that what you see on your screen is exactly (and I mean, exactly) the same as what rolls out of your printer.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-23-2014, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #26

Cooler white balance and lots of clarity in Camera raw. Imroving luminance and color contrast in PS. Sharpening. Pasted in a moon.
Mirrored image to match light direction of the moon.
Attached Images

10-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok contest is now closed to additional entries. I will crown the winner tomorrow.
10-25-2014, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Comments on entries and winner announced

Alrighty then! Thanks everybody for participating. There wasn't an entered version that I didn't appreciate in some way, so I am just going to go down the list in order of entry with whatever comments come to mind, then announce the finalists.

scnhitzer79 - I really like how you treated the image. Color is great, crop and shaping great, and the painterly effect is great too.

JHfwp - a very nice edit. In particular, I really like the look of the whitewater in your version.

D1N0 - the fact that you posted at 11:11 also adds to the extra-terrestrial effect. Colors are great and the way you used the tone and texture for create a strong mood.

discharged - really pleasing result and points for including your steps. you clearly knew what to do to bring out the details and textures for the bright sun lit areas.

atupdate - a refreshingly creative entry from you as always. Seriously, fine work placing your model into the image in a believable way. Points for hiring such an attractive model as well.

netrex - a very nice edit. no complaints or remarks come to mind...

rayzor - Welcome to the board! Warmed up nicely. no complaints come to mind...

MichalW - Welcome to the board! A fine creative effort. I like the smoothing and highlight boost for the water. as you said, a bit more focus on details could have helped, but you did enough to see where you were headed well enough.

Sumit Floyd Chaterji - Your efforts to emphasize drama paid off nicely and I really like your crop and overall result.

angevoi - Welcome to the board! Interesting choice of crop!

athose - Welcome to the board! a very nice edit. no complaints or remarks come to mind...

adriano perticone - Welcome to the board! a very nice edit. nice choice and result warming it up. Something about your result drew my attention to the details in all the rocks that I like. I think like rayzor's edit, warming it up is part of what helps that...

Clarity - welcome to the board! very nice results. I prefer the bw version over your color entry.

Parallax - a very nice edit. no complaints or remarks come to mind...

Bcrary3 - a very nice edit with pleasing color and detail... the haloing or whatever it should be officially called around the rocks where they meet sky distracts a bit... Thanks for giving it a go despite your aversion to lighting. I knew it was a difficult image to deal with and thought that might be an interesting twist to the challenge to see how people addressed it...

LarsW - very nice choices to achieve the result you were after.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And now for the finalists. (And for the record, I chose to not deduct any points from anyone for leaving the dust spots in their entries since it was my negligence to begin with.)

The first round of cuts left us with schnitzer79, discharged, Sumit Floyd Chaterji, Clarity (bw), and LarsW.

I have a tendency to overthink, so I just tried to keep my comparisons quick and simple... Forcing myself to cut it down to three left the contest with schnitzer79, discharged, and LarsW still in the race.

The winner is LarsW!!! Congrats! The last shall be first. Your creative twist and flip to the image scored big points... It was refreshing as well at least in part because I spent so much time looking at this image, and others from that morning like this one, that I really enjoyed it. Very well executed!

Thanks again everyone for participating.

Lars has been PM'd

Last edited by todd; 10-26-2014 at 11:08 AM.
10-26-2014, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #29

Congrats lars! Now get the new contest started already!
10-26-2014, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Great. Congrats Lars. Thanks for judging Todd.