Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7139 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2019, 10:59 PM - 4 Likes   #1636
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Magpie - wet from standing in the rain (scientifically known as cause and effect)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-28-2019, 11:03 PM - 5 Likes   #1637
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

White Necked Heron
- not strictly a yard bird; standing in the road drain just outside my yard - but taken from my office window, so I was within my boundary!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-30-2019, 09:20 PM   #1638
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Rod

Its still a yard bird our council rates pay for the upkeep ...so all of us own it.

Dave
10-31-2019, 09:12 AM   #1639
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
A Blue Bird from this afternoon, hanging out in the rain on the feeder hook.

SMC-K 200mm f4 at f5.6
Nice composition.

10-31-2019, 09:29 AM   #1640
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Magpie - wet from standing in the rain (scientifically known as cause and effect)
A very handsome bird
10-31-2019, 10:11 AM   #1641
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Nice composition.
Thanks
10-31-2019, 01:49 PM   #1642
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Deesquared Quote
A very handsome bird
In Spring they become very territorial; walking near trees where they nest can be very dangerous - they swoop to keep you away, and that beak can to a LOT of damage if they make contact. There have been deaths resulting from magpie contact to the back of the head.

10-31-2019, 01:53 PM   #1643
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Spring they become very territorial; walking near trees where they nest can be very dangerous - they swoop to keep you away, and that beak can to a LOT of damage if they make contact. There have been deaths resulting from magpie contact to the back of the head.
Yikes! We have mockingbirds that are aggressive like that but they are smaller birds so a death might be more of a fluke. Wise to keep your distance on these handsome birds it seems.
11-01-2019, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #1644
Pentaxian

Tell the truth here. Is everything there really dangerous or do you all just say that to keep the annoying tourists away?
11-01-2019, 08:16 PM - 2 Likes   #1645
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Is everything there really dangerous
Well, I'm not!

We do have a few very dangerous creatures, but are they any more dangerous than your rattlers, bison, scorpions, alligators, wolves, coyotes, mountain lions and black widow spiders?
The Magpie (bird) problem is only for a couple of months, (and a few other birds can be nasty too, eg Masked Lapwing, commonly called the spur-winged plover)
The worse Magpie problem are the supporters of the Collingwood Football Club (whose nickname is The Magpies) - They are particularly vicious from March through to September and can inflict heavy psychological damage for most of the year.

But yes we do have a few snakes, the Funnel Web Spider, Blue Ringed Octopus, Blue Bottle, Saltwater Crocodile, Box Jelly Fish and the famous Drop Bears.
We can't provide you with any proof of the existence of Drop Bears, but we do suggest you are always on the side of caution and carry a supply of vegemite!

And we do not like deterring tourists from coming

(as long as they spend all their money before they become a victim of one of our creatures).
11-02-2019, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #1646
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here we have black-legged ticks that pass on Lyme disease - a major problem that doesn't seem to have entered the collective consciousness yet.
11-02-2019, 02:48 PM - 2 Likes   #1647
Pentaxian

Well, I'm not!

We do have a few very dangerous creatures, but are they any more dangerous than your rattlers, bison, scorpions, alligators, wolves, coyotes, mountain lions and black widow spiders?
The Magpie (bird) problem is only for a couple of months, (and a few other birds can be nasty too, eg Masked Lapwing, commonly called the spur-winged plover)
The worse Magpie problem are the supporters of the Collingwood Football Club (whose nickname is The Magpies) - They are particularly vicious from March through to September and can inflict heavy psychological damage for most of the year.

But yes we do have a few snakes, the Funnel Web Spider, Blue Ringed Octopus, Blue Bottle, Saltwater Crocodile, Box Jelly Fish and the famous Drop Bears.
We can't provide you with any proof of the existence of Drop Bears, but we do suggest you are always on the side of caution and carry a supply of vegemite!

And we do not like deterring tourists from coming

(as long as they spend all their money before they become a victim of one of our creatures).
I'm just ribbing you. One of the first things I learned on a trip to Oz was that if I stayed inside a bar somewhere, I'd never encounter one of those animals. And if one did wander in and attack me there was lots of snakebite medicine available.
11-02-2019, 03:05 PM - 4 Likes   #1648
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The remarkable sight of a Buff-banded Rail in our birdbath last summer. KP + DA 55-300 PLM

11-03-2019, 03:36 PM - 4 Likes   #1649
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Chickadee in the Rose of sharon

11-05-2019, 03:11 PM - 4 Likes   #1650
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As my avatar suggests, I'm very partial to Eastern Yellow Robins. It's exciting when the chicks from our resident family emerge. Here are some from last summer.

The adults are very photogenic too.

First photo K-S2 and 55-300 PLM. Remainder KP and 55-300 PLM.