Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7132 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2015, 01:48 PM - 3 Likes   #196

This Barred Owl has taken up sleeping quarters on my deck for the last week, arriving at 9am and leaving at 4pm for a night of hunting. He has been feeding on mice and several rabbits.

Attached Images

Last edited by originalwinger; 06-10-2016 at 07:38 AM.
02-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pop Diva:

02-20-2015, 12:36 PM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool owl shots

Couple more from the birds that hang around here.

Sparrow I haven't seen, and so far no definite ID, Savannah Sparrow I think but nowhere near positive. (it's the one on the right, Chipping Sparrow at left in the background)

I build a nesting box for the bluebirds, the Chickadees decided they liked it too and the fight was on so I built them one too. They used it last summer, a pair is building now. I watched this one leave the box a couple of days ago and perch right above me...between trips to my feeder...

And of course one of the resident Mockingbirds, with a mealworm, I think this one is building a nest in the Cedar tree that's in the background.

02-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by originalwinger Quote
This Barred Owl has taken up sleeping quarters on my deck for the last week, arriving at 9am and leaving at 4pm for a night of hunting. He has been feeding on mice and several rabbits.
That's awesome!

02-20-2015, 08:50 PM - 2 Likes   #200
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bluebirds

I looked out one of the windows last weekend, and saw several bluebirds in the tree next to the house. The birds were kind enough to sit still for me, while I snapped a few shots.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
bluebirds
Nice one with them snuggled up like that! I saw a couple of doves doing that but couldn't get the shot.

Here's a sparrow who shares my opinion of current conditions:

02-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #202
Veteran Member

My 'yard birds' tend to be seagulls, pigeons and crows. Occasionally a grackle or a mourning dove. (My yard is a parking lot)

Some day when I have some actual free time I'll have to park myself in the window and see what I can get.

I did get this guy a while back. I was stuck in Point 'n shoot Land so this was the best I could do. One of the local pigeons had a very bad day. If anyone can ID what kind of raptor he was, I'd appreciate it.

02-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #203
Pentaxian

If they can't ID it here, head on over to the Birding Group...
Birding group - PentaxForums.com
02-22-2015, 06:01 AM   #204
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
[
Nice one with them snuggled up like that! I saw a couple of doves doing that but couldn't get the shot.

Here's a sparrow who shares my opinion of current conditions:
Thanks! I like the snow falling around your sparrow. Gives it a great 3D effect.
02-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #205
Veteran Member

Looks a lot like a Red Shouldered Hawk but not positive.

Red-shouldered Hawk, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Red-shouldered Hawk | Audubon Field Guide

Best ID point is the white bars across the tail. In my area I see Red Tail and Red Shouldered, tail makes it easy to ID both.
02-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #206
Pentaxian

Same old birds, so change up the camera.

K20D and HD DA 1.4 and DA*60-250 @350mm ƒ5.6

02-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #207
Veteran Member

Carolina Wren. This one is nesting in a blanket my mother put on her lemon tree to keep it from freezing...she's not happy, she can't remove it till the little ones leave the nest...definitely a yard bird, probably born and raised right here in the yard...last year they nested in the water heater cubbyhole of the RV I'm staying in...I've put up some nesting shelves, but they seem to be ignoring them...go figure...

02-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #208
Pentaxian

Back to work with the K-3 today, I have to say, it makes a difference. Cross posted from post your photos and K-3 images.

K-3 , DA*60-250 and HD DA 1.4 TC @ ƒ5.6

The most popular feeder today was an old tree I cut down, then rescued from the fire pit, where it could have been a fine member of the bonfire team. I drilled a few holes to put suet in and hung it up. I later learned to make a paste type suet for it... vegetable shortening, canola oil, peanut butter, wheat flour and corn meal. Today it was the second most popular thing going. The other one. also one I made was pretty popular with the smaller birds, not so much with the wood peckers, and the Redpolls don't use the commercial feeders I paid good money for at all, preferring the food to be laid out buffet style in a flat surface, my hanging feeder birdhouse type feeder or the ground works for them.

For all the others the homemade suet feeder was the big thing...

The chickadees stop in occasionally, although the black oil sunflower seed dispensers are still their main thing.

Male Hairy Woodpecker at the post

Female hairy Woodpecker at the post.. (no red on her head).

Red Breasted Nuthatch

The White Breasted Nuthatch likes the post both right side up...

But it's just as good upside down.

Or Horizontal

The one I paid the most for sits pretty much un-used.

Darn birds don't know what real quality is.

It's little worse for wear from when the bear took it down last summer, but I patched it up and it's dispensing seed again, even if mostly when the other feeders have run out.
02-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #209
Pentaxian

Cross posted in K-3 photos and the 300+ club.
K-3, DA*60-250 + HD 1.4 TC, ƒ6.3, average speed around 1/400

I've been seeing a few more Redpolls every day...during the Park Winter Bird count apparently they only saw two. I've had two hanging around for a while. Today, I had an actual flock of 15 plus birds. I noticed they were coming to a spot where other birds were dropping seed from perches higher up in the tree. I thought to myself, "Self, they like that spot." So I tossed a handful of see there.

First on the scene are of course the Chickadees. If the Chickadees don't like it, it's not suitable for man nor beast.

Then the scout.... typical finch behaviour, I don't know if they take turns being the scout of if there one designated scout, but there's always "the scout...". Redpolls, Grosbeaks, Purple Finches , whatever kind of finches, they all appoint a scout.

hmmm... look at all this food.. best call the others...

All the sudden the flock descends from their hiding spots among the nearby trees.

At this point there were probably 15 on the ground.

All the sudden, an alarm sounds, they all disappear, you can wait as long as you want, all you're going to see is more Chickadees.
02-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yesterday, a huge gang of grackles showed up, bullying the sparrows, jays cardinals and doves and taking over all the prime spots, So I dug out some of those "packing pillows" (you know--the super bubble wrap that B&H uses to pack lenses), went out on the porch and popped 'em. Scared the daylights out of them and they haven't been back since but the regulars at Dave's Seed & Nut Bar were pretty much unfazed.