Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
I see several that visit my yard on a regular basis, soon I'll have feeders out and be getting more...nice job on the Downy Norm, I rarely get a change to snap a shot of those.

Here are a few from my yard. All in the yard, not wild ones in the woods... ok wild, but limited to in the yard...

Hummingbird of course, I think they're about gone though

Young female Bluebird in our birdbath

I put a nesting box in the front yard for Tufted Titmouse, a pair of Prothonotary Warblers took it over...

This wren got in the house, my mother held it for a minute so I could get a picture

Summer Tanager, never did find his nest...

Immature Bluebird ion the nesting box in the back yard. I built two of these, both have been used the past 2 years. This one was inhabited the day after I hung it on the post...

I think I found out where your humming bird went

10-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I think I found out where your humming bird wen
That is sick! I'm glad I lived long enough to watch it.
10-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #33

not to worry

he survived, left here to head south on Sept 16
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was on my neighbor's fence last year:

10-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by originalwinger Quote
starlings
Nice color on that first one--the iridescence is a challenge!
10-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #36
Veteran Member

A couple more

Not the normal yard bird, in fact this is the only time it was in my yard, and only seen one other time, but they apparently live in the patch of woods across the street. Never expected a Roadrunner though...but it was actually in my front yard so I guess it qualifies...but barely...

Very regular visitor, Cardinals are always around, and visit both our bird baths all the time.

Female Bluebird. That's one of her babies in the first post.

And here's dad

This is the first thing I usually hear when I walk outside, if you've ever heard a wren first thing you think is how the hell does a bird that small manage to be so loud...

10-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
it qualifies
Sure does! Nice shooting ;~)

10-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot. I was actually about to leave, had been watching the bird bath that the Cardinal was in, having a bottle of water before I hopped on the ol bike for a photo ride, and got caught by surprise. If she had walked up the driveway 30 seconds later I would have spooked her without a chance at a shot...Couldn't show up any of the dozen times I sat there and waited an hour or more just for Roadrunners...
10-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A chickadee is one very fast mover. I posted this one as I like the wing action.... wish I could get it all in focus one day
anyone one like to try to capture one flying?

thanks

Randy
Attached Images

10-26-2014, 08:34 AM   #40
Pentaxian

A chickadee is one very fast mover. I posted this one as I like the wing action.... wish I could get it all in focus one day
anyone one like to try to capture one flying?

thanks

Randy
I'm guessing if you want an image of a Chickadee flying something like a Nikon D4s, would be the thing. You really need to be able to crank up that shutter speed, with high ISO. I have taken lots of images of chickadees flying, but, if that was my assignment, I'd use mf... no AF i fast enough.. and burst mode and set up so i could get lucky with the bird flying through the plane of focus, hopefully with one of the burst images catching him in the right place. If someone tells me their AF is fast enough to track Chickadees, I'll be mightily impressed. But I want to see the sequence with exif info place before I believe it.
10-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm guessing if you want an image of a Chickadee flying something like a Nikon D4s, would be the thing. You really need to be able to crank up that shutter speed, with high ISO. I have taken lots of images of chickadees flying, but, if that was my assignment, I'd use mf... no AF i fast enough.. and burst mode and set up so i could get lucky with the bird flying through the plane of focus, hopefully with one of the burst images catching him in the right place. If someone tells me their AF is fast enough to track Chickadees, I'll be mightily impressed. But I want to see the sequence with exif info place before I believe it.
I followed all the above for the shot (except for the Nikon of course)...I think I needed higher shutter speed and something like F 8 but with the amount of light the ISO was already very high. As you know from your experience that even 8 fps isn't enough.... For my shots it took a LOT of misses
I don't like bright light shots so I guess I can keep on trucking

Thanks for the input

Randy
10-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I followed all the above for the shot (except for the Nikon of course)...I think I needed higher shutter speed and something like F 8 but with the amount of light the ISO was already very high. As you know from your experience that even 8 fps isn't enough.... For my shots it took a LOT of misses

Thanks for the input

Randy
Those little chickadees are really tough... most of the images i see on the net of them in the air, are obviously taken right in front of a feeder.
10-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

Thanks for the input

Randy
I think the biggest issue is the point of focus is ahead of the bird, on the feeder
10-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think the biggest issue is the point of focus is ahead of the bird, on the feeder
I agree. It seems like splitting hairs trying to get that precise.

Thanks

Randy
10-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree. It seems like splitting hairs trying to get that precise.

Thanks

Randy
Have you tried flash. The duration, especially when you are close is much shorter time than any shutter speed you can get. The issue is to ensure the flash sees the subject and not the background. The distance to background can lead to extremes over exposure of the foreground subjects