Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7139 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2018, 08:01 PM   #1366
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
New camera and editing software. The three of us are all a work in progress. Comments are welcome.
DW, what ever you did the image looks terrific on my monitor. Great detail, nice colors and a good composition.

Best Regards, Bob

12-31-2018, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #1367
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Thanks very much for your thoughtful and detailed response to my post!Best wishes,Stu
Good on you Stu. Here's a few more thoughts on the subject.

I don't think there's a single right answer on how to spend a limited light budget. I've tried various strategies with various lenses. With the DA-L 55-300, I tried to stick to f8 (even at the cost of slow shutter and/or high ISO) because there was a big difference in resolution. With the 55-300 PLM the resolution is good at f6.3 so it doesn't demand the same compromises. With the FA*300 f4.5 (and I'm sure the DA*300 f4 would be the same) it's so sharp that you can shoot wide open if you have to, and that gives a clear 1 stop advantage over the PLM. At times I've pulled out the DFA 100, used f2.8 and cropped, but this is a last resort.

Shutter speed is a hard one. I think with practice you can get a reasonable rate of acceptably steady images of a stationary subject going down to say 1/60th at 300mm (thanks to the SR) where necessary, but the problem is often that the subject isn't still for long enough. I think I adjust the shutter according to how much getting an acceptable shot really matters. If it's a bird/animal that I am likely to see again, I might use a slow shutter to keep the ISO down and/or aperture narrower. If it works, great. If it doesn't work, it isn't critical - there'll be another opportunity. But if it's a bird/animal scene that's unusual or hard to get, I would give more priority to a faster shutter - more chance of a sharp image, and accept that less than ideal ISO is the price to pay, because a non-blurry image matters most, and the chance might never come again.

I'm trying to get better with flash, because it reduces the compromises of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. But it requires restraint - preferably just 1-1.5 stops of fill rather than the flash becoming the main light source.
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
New camera and editing software. The three of us are all a work in progress.
All photography is a work in progress in my view! Hey you are doing well. I like the crop/composition: not too tight and it works well.

Last edited by Des; 12-31-2018 at 04:22 AM.
12-31-2018, 08:48 AM   #1368
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
DW, what ever you did the image looks terrific on my monitor. Great detail, nice colors and a good composition.

Best Regards, Bob
Thanks for the kind words Bob. I'm making good progress.
12-31-2018, 08:51 AM   #1369
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
All photography is a work in progress in my view! Hey you are doing well. I like the crop/composition: not too tight and it works well.
Thanks Des. I appreciate the comment.

12-31-2018, 08:58 PM - 3 Likes   #1370
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

couple of end of the year shots

Hairy woodpecker on the feeder log; then the white breasted nuthatch on the feeder log.
Best Regards, Bob
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-03-2019, 03:12 AM - 2 Likes   #1371
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
Hairy woodpecker on the feeder log; then the white breasted nuthatch on the feeder log.
Nice ones Bob!

The saga of our friendly resident Grey Shrike-thrush continues. Sadly Orlando died in September. His mate Romola was bereft for a while. She has since re-partnered with a sweet young fellow named Bertrand, who while well-intentioned is pretty clueless about parenthood. Well in November they finally nested in the old nest in our shed, where Romola has bred over several years.

Here's Romola incubating. K-S2 + DFA 100.

Young Bertie bringing food for the nestlings. K-S2 + DA 55-300 PLM

Little dinosaurs. K-S2 + DA 55-300 PLM

Will they make it to fledging? Will they survive. Stay tuned.
01-03-2019, 07:05 AM - 3 Likes   #1372
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm staying tuned! Nice shots.
Yet another Sparrow in the home- and despite attempts to shoo it out, no luck so it spent the night in the lounge, and in the morning i was more successful. It flew from one end of the lounge to the other

01-03-2019, 11:57 AM - 3 Likes   #1373
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Red-breasted Sapsucker. For having a red head they actually have pretty good camo when not filling the frame.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
01-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #1374
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
I'm staying tuned! Nice shots.
Yet another Sparrow in the home- and despite attempts to shoo it out, no luck so it spent the night in the lounge, and in the morning i was more successful. It flew from one end of the lounge to the other

Hi Noel

I think you are just trying to boost your flock numbers for the New Year...

Dave
01-03-2019, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #1375
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL! Risky business you know- I can just imagine the talk of the town- our pastor spent the night with a Chick LOL!
01-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #1376
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
LOL! Risky business you know- I can just imagine the talk of the town- our pastor spent the night with a Chick LOL!
But not just one a whole flock.....

Dave
01-05-2019, 08:06 AM - 4 Likes   #1377
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Had to move the feeder outside the fence. The new dog enjoys birds way too much. He also feels he needs to eat all the seeds that fall to the ground.
But the birds feel a little safer with a fence between me and them, so I can get a little closer now.

SMC-K 135mm f2.5 at f4
01-05-2019, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #1378
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Had to move the feeder outside the fence. The new dog enjoys birds way too much. He also feels he needs to eat all the seeds that fall to the ground.
But the birds feel a little safer with a fence between me and them, so I can get a little closer now.

SMC-K 135mm f2.5 at f4
We occasionally get bears, foxes, pine martens and racoons raiding the feeders along with the usual squirrels. The rare visitors with birds include ravens crows, ruffed grouse and wild turkeys. We have to look to make sure no one's out there before we let the dogs out. Our dogs know better than to get caught eating spilled birdseed off the ground. All of ours hate getting yelled at. They find it demeaning.
01-06-2019, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #1379
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We occasionally get bears, foxes, pine martens and racoons raiding the feeders along with the usual squirrels. The rare visitors with birds include ravens crows, ruffed grouse and wild turkeys. We have to look to make sure no one's out there before we let the dogs out. Our dogs know better than to get caught eating spilled birdseed off the ground. All of ours hate getting yelled at. They find it demeaning.
My sister gets to deal with bears every now and then. She was waiting for the kids to come home from school, and watched the bus drive on past the house. Her son called from the bus, and said there's a bear at the end of the driveway, so the bus will drop him off later.

Finn, our new dog, is learning. Sometimes he's fine laying on the patio watching the smaller birds, but when the Jay's show up, that is something exciting.

A couple lobbed tennis balls in his general vicinity usually works for him, if not then he gets yelled at too
01-13-2019, 02:43 PM - 4 Likes   #1380
Pentaxian

Went out for my first feeder shoot of the new year. I decided to take the DA*200 and the F 1.7 AF adapter. Not the easiest way to shoot buy, it was cold, the birds were hungry and they let me get close. I didn't set up the blind, I just took out a monopod and shot standing up near the feeders.

K-1 DA*200 2.8 and F 1.7 AF adapter (340mm ƒ 4.5)

ISO 400, ƒ5/6 or ƒ8, AV mode

A couple of female Pine Grosbeaks, more skittish than the other birds so further away.

Downey woodpecker female.

Downy woodpecker male

Hairy woodpecker.

Red Breasted Nuthatch