Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7139 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2018, 12:36 PM - 3 Likes   #1201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Juvenile Blackbird taking a rest in the shade after a couple of hours chasing flying ants around the garden in the hot sun. He was pretty pooped so I did not get too close, this image well cropped.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-11-2018, 10:33 AM - 4 Likes   #1202
Pentaxian

I shot today with DA 55-300 PLM and the 1.4 TC,
Results were judged as "better than nothing."

As a stationary blind lens, it's a very nice walking lens. I doubt the TC helps it much. It did reasonabley well in the blind without the TC.

Juvenile white throated sparrow.

Mommy or daddy

Eating bugs is good for your health.

I think this guy just caught my hummingbird moth.

A pile of my red squirrels and flying squirrels have turned up dead recently... king squirrel remains un-affected..

Finches

The local weasel has taken a few chipmunks as well

Birds have to drink...

It was interesting to use the 55-300 PLM with the TC but shooting at 9.3 as you maximum aperture creates serious shutter speed problems. As well, compared to my other lenses, it's simply not as sharp. You can get away with it without the TC for a great portable option, but the TC just magnifies the softness.

Last edited by normhead; 07-11-2018 at 10:46 AM.
07-13-2018, 07:10 AM - 4 Likes   #1203
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Blue Bird and Dragonfly
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D500  Photo 
07-18-2018, 09:38 AM - 3 Likes   #1204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think my juvenile Blackbird may be ill, it is a warm day but not exceedingly hot and it was gasping even though it was next to a birdbath and in the shade. He was so uninterested in my proximity that I took this with my Sigma 50mm macro lens, no crop, SOOC jpeg.

Update on Blackie, I put some food out this morning early, watched the Robins and Blackbirds enjoy their breakfast while keeping the Pigeons away from the feeder then went for a bath and shave. While in the bath I heard the Robin making it's warning call and hoped that it was not a cat after the birds. A little later I went out to find a mauled Blackbird dead in my garden, I suspect my model has paid for it's lack of caution.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Skodadriver; 07-19-2018 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Update
07-20-2018, 01:14 AM - 2 Likes   #1205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I caught these Rainbow Lorikeets feeding freshly opening Gum Blossom after rain earlier this year. These birds are highly iridescent, and I've selectively desaturated the color (red, magenta etc) in the first three to reclaim some detail (and sanity ), but left the fourth, in a nearby Golden Penda tree, relatively unprocessed;

---------- Post added 07-20-18 at 01:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
mauled Blackbird dead
- sad, but perhaps a blessing in disguise....

Last edited by rjbrett; 07-20-2018 at 01:40 AM.
07-20-2018, 02:51 AM   #1206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

07-20-2018, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #1207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rjbrett Quote
I caught these Rainbow Lorikeets feeding freshly opening Gum Blossom after rain earlier this year. These birds are highly iridescent, and I've selectively desaturated the color (red, magenta etc) in the first three to reclaim some detail (and sanity ), but left the fourth, in a nearby Golden Penda tree, relatively unprocessed;

---------- Post added 07-20-18 at 01:21 AM ----------

- sad, but perhaps a blessing in disguise....

Thank you.
It would be great to have brilliantly coloured birds here in England, ours are not quite to yours. I saw a Kingfisher down by the river Itchen yesterday......it flashed past me so no shots, no time to even switch the camera on so I don't feel too bad about my first sighting.
Love the gum blossom too.

07-20-2018, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #1208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

07-21-2018, 06:43 PM - 6 Likes   #1209
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Butcher Birds are as charming as a Canary but in nature, food is food.
Evidence of both the charm and the ruthlessness of an immature Grey Butcherbird.

Charm. K-3 and Sigma 400mm f5.6 tele macro.

Ruthlessness. Fortunately the victim is a Common Blackbird, an introduced pest species, not one of our beloved natives. K-3 + FA*300 f4.5.

When I came back half an hour later the Blackbird's body had gone and there were only some feathers left. Presumably the butcherbird stashed the corpse to finish later.
07-21-2018, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #1210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Presumably the butcherbird stashed the corpse to finish later.
If you were in the suburbs, I'd say a cat got it. I doubt my Butcherbirds could carry a Blackbird.

Oh, and 1 'like' to you for the great shots.
07-21-2018, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #1211
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
If you were in the suburbs, I'd say a cat got it. I doubt my Butcherbirds could carry a Blackbird.Oh, and 1 'like' to you for the great shots.
Thanks Craig. We do get the odd feral/haystack cat, but the birds make a particular call when one turns up, and there was nothing that day. The remains of the blackbird wouldn't have weighed much by then, and butcherbirds are known to store prey in a "larder", so to me it seems more likely that the butcherbird took it away. But we'll never know for sure.
07-22-2018, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #1212
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Taking a lead from Norm, I take the liberty of posting mammals instead of birds. These are bush rats (Rattus fuscipes), a very charming native species, that live in our place and profit from spillage from the bird feeder. K-3 + FA*300 f4.5.

07-23-2018, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #1213
dbs
Pentaxian

Taking a lead from Norm, I take the liberty of posting mammals instead of birds. These are bush rats (Rattus fuscipes), a very charming native species, that live in our place and profit from spillage from the bird feeder. K-3 + FA*300 f4.5.
Hi Des
Are they in Eastern Australia only ?
I have never noticed one before.

Dave
07-23-2018, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #1214
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Des
Are they in Eastern Australia only ?
I have never noticed one before.

Dave
No Dave, according to "A Field Guide to the Mammals of Australia" they are also found in coastal area from Queensland to South Australia and also southern WA. The book says that the subspecies greyii occurs from Portland in Victoria to the Eyre Peninsula and Kangaroo Island in SA. They build burrows and runways. An easy way to tell them from the nasty introduced Black Rats (Rattus rattus) is that the rattus rattus have very long tails, whereas the tails of Bush Rats are no longer than their head and body. The Bush Rats are poor climbers whereas rattus rattus are excellent climbers.
07-23-2018, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #1215
dbs
Pentaxian

No Dave, according to "A Field Guide to the Mammals of Australia" they are also found in coastal area from Queensland to South Australia and also southern WA. The book says that the subspecies greyii occurs from Portland in Victoria to the Eyre Peninsula and Kangaroo Island in SA. They build burrows and runways. An easy way to tell them from the nasty introduced Black Rats (Rattus rattus) is that the rattus rattus have very long tails, whereas the tails of Bush Rats are no longer than their head and body. The Bush Rats are poor climbers whereas rattus rattus are excellent climbers.
Hi Des

Thankyou

Dave