Great Egret

07-28-2019, 08:06 PM   #1562
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Female Red-Winged Blackbird.

---------- Post added 07-26-19 at 07:00 AM ----------

My Dogwood brings all the birds to the yard.

They all look a bit shabby because it was raining, we needed the rain badly.
Catbird

Robin

Eastern Kingbird (a little surprised about this, but just a little)

Thank you Terry, you did excellent. Never even considered that one. What's interesting is that I have many of the males around but for some reason I did not think that the females would be so different. Guess I always just thought the females were dark brown without the shoulder colors. A big part of my enjoyment with birds & wildlife in general is learning new things all the time. You might not believe it but I have been observing wildlife since a child, yet constantly I learn of new species and behaviors. And now with the new digital cameras I am having a fantastic time compared to when I shot with film. Plus since I am retired I spend more time watching & listening. Thank you again and sorry for the long response.
Best Regards, Bob
07-29-2019, 05:23 AM - 5 Likes   #1563
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
jacamar you did great before, hope you can help this time.
Sorry to be late with this one jabobby. Actually some female Red-winged Blackbirds do have a bit of red in the shoulder.

07-29-2019, 08:14 AM - 2 Likes   #1564
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you Terry, you did excellent. Never even considered that one. What's interesting is that I have many of the males around but for some reason I did not think that the females would be so different. Guess I always just thought the females were dark brown without the shoulder colors. A big part of my enjoyment with birds & wildlife in general is learning new things all the time. You might not believe it but I have been observing wildlife since a child, yet constantly I learn of new species and behaviors. And now with the new digital cameras I am having a fantastic time compared to when I shot with film. Plus since I am retired I spend more time watching & listening. Thank you again and sorry for the long response.
Best Regards, Bob
The serious birders I'm in contact with call the huge variety of nondescript brown female birds LBBs. Often uncertain or unidentified, particularly in non-mating season. Blackbirds can often be identified by behavior and sound, though they do make a variety of sounds, (all loud). They've started feeding at our feeders more frequently this year, they're kind of annoying. So are orioles up-close.

The dogwood attracted a Flicker yesterday, it was quickly spooked when I appeared in the patio door, not even opening it. I hope it came back to get more berries etc. on the ground. I didn't see any ants, so I presume it was eating berries.

I'd plant serviceberries myself, they're tasty if you can get any before the birds do. One of our huskies, Kato, eats the dogwood berries, too. They taste pretty much like blueberries but are very astringent.

07-30-2019, 07:42 PM   #1565
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Sorry to be late with this one jabobby. Actually some female Red-winged Blackbirds do have a bit of red in the shoulder.

Thank you for the reply, and that is a very nice photo you took with that 300mm lens. With the varied colors and patterns that is a rather attractive bird, can't believe I never noticed them.

Best Regards, Bob
07-30-2019, 07:49 PM   #1566
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The serious birders I'm in contact with call the huge variety of nondescript brown female birds LBBs. Often uncertain or unidentified, particularly in non-mating season. Blackbirds can often be identified by behavior and sound, though they do make a variety of sounds, (all loud). They've started feeding at our feeders more frequently this year, they're kind of annoying. So are orioles up-close.

The dogwood attracted a Flicker yesterday, it was quickly spooked when I appeared in the patio door, not even opening it. I hope it came back to get more berries etc. on the ground. I didn't see any ants, so I presume it was eating berries.

I'd plant serviceberries myself, they're tasty if you can get any before the birds do. One of our huskies, Kato, eats the dogwood berries, too. They taste pretty much like blueberries but are very astringent.
Serviceberrries for sure and I am fortunate to have a good many of them on this old farm. I agree it is quite the challenge to beat the birds to them. Looks like I might have to plant a dogwood now, thanks.
Best Regards, Bob
08-01-2019, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #1567
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With the varied colors and patterns that is a rather attractive bird, can't believe I never noticed them.
Thanks jabobby - I still have that DA 55-300mm lens as a backup, It holds up pretty well in good light, but I normally use the DA*300mm now.
The male RWBs are so brash and noisy they grab all the attention. The females tend to lurk in the background!

08-03-2019, 12:44 AM - 2 Likes   #1568
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Couple from today, since I've been sick I haven't had the energy to shoot and took down the Manfrotto tripod.. Set it back up today so see what I could capture. These are only two because I need to wash my windows, otherwise the lens hunts too much.

Tuffed Tit Mouse

Mourning dove braving the rain for some food.

The Tit mouse is the first one I've been able to capture this year.

Also got a new head coming for the lighter Bogen I bought.
08-10-2019, 03:33 PM - 3 Likes   #1569
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Through the front window.

SMC-K 135mm f2.5 at f4
08-10-2019, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #1570
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The serious birders I'm in contact with call the huge variety of nondescript brown female birds LBBs.
In Oz they are called LBJs (Little Brown Jobs), probably after your 36th President.
08-13-2019, 07:47 PM - 3 Likes   #1571
Veteran Member

I'd like to share yardbirds but I have none (on negatives) at the moment. So what about a Mute Swan in a marina?

Spotmatic
Jupiter 21M 200mm
Superia X-Tra 400
Developed in Unicolor C-41 Press Kit

Last edited by Helios 1984; 08-14-2019 at 09:10 AM.
08-13-2019, 08:44 PM - 5 Likes   #1572
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

A sociable weaver having my breakfast left overs

DA*300 F4 and KP
08-14-2019, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #1573
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice one Basie.

Some sparrows were having a dispute about space

08-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #1574
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Nice one Basie
Thanks Noelcmn
08-15-2019, 02:27 PM - 3 Likes   #1575
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Haven't posted a robin for a while. Eastern Yellow Robin. K-3 + Kenko 1.5x TC + FA*300 f4.5.