Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
yellow warblers
Spectacular!

05-19-2020, 08:32 AM - 6 Likes   #1922
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Nice shots Taks. What species is the plover?
Thank you Des. I think its a Killdeer? First time spotting one around here.

a chickadee and a warbler on maple tree

05-19-2020, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #1923
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lidy, the photos look great to me.
Here are some shots of the Parula male & female.
Best Regards, Bob
Thank you! I'm in awe of yours!

---------- Post added 05-19-20 at 19:24 ----------

Nice shots Taks. What species is the plover?

For 6 years this was my only lens. At the time I thought it was good - on 6mp it seemed so. But when I got a K-30 and DA-L 55-300, the superzoom was shown up at the long end. You've made a valiant effort, Lidy, especially using the TC, but I'd say you would get better results with any of the 55-300 models, even if you have to crop substantially.

Eastern Yellow Robin. KP + DA 55-300 PLM at 300mm.
Ah, Des, you've put an idea into my head: I still have the first copy of the 55-300 (non-WR). I'll put that onto the KP next! I now also have the PLM version, but I want to try all the oldies as well.

You're probably right about the 55-300 results being better, but sometimes it's just fun to try all sorts of things.

That's a great picture of the robin! It's sooooo sharp! Did you use any special techniques to achieve this result?
05-19-2020, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #1924
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by taks Quote
I think its a Killdeer? First time spotting one around here.
Thanks Taks. Good get! They are handsome bird - a bit like our Double-banded Plover.
QuoteOriginally posted by lidy Quote
Ah, Des, you've put an idea into my head: I still have the first copy of the 55-300 (non-WR). I'll put that onto the KP next! I now also have the PLM version, but I want to try all the oldies as well.
There's probably a bit of copy variation, but my old DA-L 55-300 f4-5.8 resolved just as well as the PLM at the long end when it was stopped down a bit. The PLM was a little better wide open, but there wasn't a lot in it. The bigger differences (in image quality) were in the rendering and bokeh and reduced flare and CA. But the screwdriven models can produce quite sharp images.
You're probably right about the 55-300 results being better, but sometimes it's just fun to try all sorts of things.
It is. The Tamron was actually pretty good at the wide end (in the centre or when stopped down). It was said to be quite a leap in quality for wide-ranging lenses when introduced (about 2006).
That's a great picture of the robin! It's sooooo sharp! Did you use any special techniques to achieve this result?
The secret recipe is proximity! The robin was about 2-3 metres away. Just a little tweaking of microcontrast and clarity in DxO PL helps too.

Last edited by Des; 05-19-2020 at 02:48 PM.
05-19-2020, 05:03 PM - 2 Likes   #1925
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
the Tamron 18-250 f/3.5/6.3.
Oh my yes! It was one of the two lenses I bought to go with the K100D when I was starting out. It produced some pretty good shots under the right conditions--and taught me a lot about photography!
05-19-2020, 06:30 PM - 6 Likes   #1926
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yep, more warblers

This 150 year old farm that I live on has plenty of fruit trees & birch, dozens that were here and dozens that I planted. Where there are blossoms there will be bugs, and then there will be the birds that eat bugs. Most likely due to the abundant food source a warbler migration path comes thru here...how lucky am I. Here are some shots of the chestnut sided warbler. I find it funny that all my warbler shots are here at home in the yard, so they really are yard birds.

Best Regards, Bob
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-20-2020, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #1927
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lucky you!

05-20-2020, 10:06 AM   #1928
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The secret recipe is proximity! The robin was about 2-3 metres away. Just a little tweaking of microcontrast and clarity in DxO PL helps too.
That must be it, proximity! At least, I hope so.

I tried to emulate your settings, using the KP + 55-300 PLM, but no way did I get anything like your result. The big difference being the distance ~7 meters. Oh, and I haven't got DxO.

This first one was taken last night with the 55-300, the second one this afternoon with a Sigma 70-200. See? Nothing like yours!
Attached Images

05-20-2020, 04:39 PM - 3 Likes   #1929
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried to emulate your settings, using the KP + 55-300 PLM, but no way did I get anything like your result. The big difference being the distance ~7 meters. Oh, and I haven't got DxO.This first one was taken last night with the 55-300, the second one this afternoon with a Sigma 70-200. See? Nothing like yours!
Every extra metre increases the degree of difficulty. Presumably these are both heavy crops. And of course if the image has been compressed further for uploading, it will reduce quality as well. If you were shooting through glass (yes this is often necessary) that would reduce resolution too.

A couple of comments:

First image: The problem here is missed focus. It's a bit hard to tell, but I think the focus point is behind the sparrow. That's happens all the time - you are trying to land a focus point on a small target that occupies a very small portion of the frame. I often miss focus in that situation. Don't beat yourself up about it.

One thing about this situation is that you can use the centre focus point without having to recompose, since you will be cropping all around anyway. The centre focus point (and the one immediately above it and the one immediately below it) are more sensitive.

I'm assuming you were focusing through the viewfinder. If so, I'll just raise the question whether the PLM is back-focusing on the KP? I wouldn't leap to that conclusion on a single image. Are you seeing this behaviour consistently? If so, test it carefully and use AF Fine Adjustment if necessary.

It's possible that there was some motion blur or slight camera movement but I can't really tell from that image.

Second image: This worked much better, but I think the focus point might be slightly in front of the sparrow (look at the base of the feeder).

Of course, with a feeder you could set the camera on a tripod and pre-focus with LiveView, then shoot with a remote trigger. That way you might be able to get the camera closer to the subject. A shorter focal length and a narrower aperture would give more margin for error in focus too (albeit at the price of higher ISO or slower shutter speed).

Nice bokeh in each shot.

Last edited by Des; 05-20-2020 at 09:58 PM.
05-20-2020, 06:36 PM   #1930
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Spectacular!
Thank you Dave
05-20-2020, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #1931
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you! I'm in awe of yours!

---------- Post added 05-19-20 at 19:24 ----------

You are much too kind, thank you
05-20-2020, 06:55 PM - 7 Likes   #1932
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, more warblers

Here's some shots of the black-throated warbler female & male. And I certainly agree with all the advice Des has offered. One remark I will add is when I shoot quick moving birds like warblers I typically forsake aperture for a higher shutter speed and hope for good focus. Sometimes I succeed this way and sometimes not. The higher ISO is not as much an issue if you nail the focus, and if @ 2000 ISO or higher I will do a slight adjustment in LR.
Best Regards, Bob
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-20-2020, 10:11 PM - 2 Likes   #1933
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's some shots of the black-throated warbler female & male.
Terrific series. I'm enjoying all your warbler shots Bob.

One remark I will add is when I shoot quick moving birds like warblers I typically forsake aperture for a higher shutter speed and hope for good focus. Sometimes I succeed this way and sometimes not. The higher ISO is not as much an issue if you nail the focus, and if @ 2000 ISO or higher I will do a slight adjustment in LR.
Great advice. Birds hopping around are difficult. I see you have gone for 1/1000th in the first and 1/1600th in the other three, Bob, and the results speak for themselves.

The hardest choices come when the light is poor - like when correct exposure means 1/125th and ISO 6400 with the aperture wide open. Can be hard to focus, lots of blurry shots from slow shutter and the high ISO means muddy shots lacking detail. With stationary birds, you can drop the shutter speed fairly low if you have a steady stance - so it can be worth trying 1/60th 3200 and firing a burst to try to get at least one non-blurry shot. But there comes a point where you have to either (a) accept that the shot will be no more than a record or (b) use a flash or (c) give it away.

Last edited by Des; 05-20-2020 at 10:17 PM.
05-21-2020, 04:38 AM   #1934
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every extra metre increases the degree of difficulty. Presumably these are both heavy crops. And of course if the image has been compressed further for uploading, it will reduce quality as well. If you were shooting through glass (yes this is often necessary) that would reduce resolution too.

A couple of comments:

First image: The problem here is missed focus. It's a bit hard to tell, but I think the focus point is behind the sparrow. That's happens all the time - you are trying to land a focus point on a small target that occupies a very small portion of the frame. I often miss focus in that situation. Don't beat yourself up about it.

One thing about this situation is that you can use the centre focus point without having to recompose, since you will be cropping all around anyway. The centre focus point (and the one immediately above it and the one immediately below it) are more sensitive.

I'm assuming you were focusing through the viewfinder. If so, I'll just raise the question whether the PLM is back-focusing on the KP? I wouldn't leap to that conclusion on a single image. Are you seeing this behaviour consistently? If so, test it carefully and use AF Fine Adjustment if necessary.

It's possible that there was some motion blur or slight camera movement but I can't really tell from that image.

Second image: This worked much better, but I think the focus point might be slightly in front of the sparrow (look at the base of the feeder).

Of course, with a feeder you could set the camera on a tripod and pre-focus with LiveView, then shoot with a remote trigger. That way you might be able to get the camera closer to the subject. A shorter focal length and a narrower aperture would give more margin for error in focus too (albeit at the price of higher ISO or slower shutter speed).

Nice bokeh in each shot.
Hi Des,

Thank you very much! I so appreciate you taking the time to have a good look at my pictures and giving advice from your wealth of experience!

Arrrghhh – the dreaded front and back focus. I’m not technical at all and have no testing equipment., nor am I willing (yet) to shell out serious money to buy any at the moment. I have, however, printed out a test chart. 😉 I can see what you mean by possible front and back focus, especially in the first picture.

As to your remarks:

1. Yes, both pictures are heavily cropped and I was using the viewfinder.
2. I’ll have another/closer look at the pics I’ve taken so far with the 55-300 + KP to see if I can discern any back- or front focusing and any consistency therein
3. My most used settings are spot focus and TAv.
4. And yes, I’ll take some more pictures with the KP-PLM combo and try to be more aware of possible misfocusing, motion blur or movement (e.g. use a tripod every now and then).
5. If the problem persists, I’ll bite the bullet and do the charting. I’m sure my better half (who’s far better at these things), will be willing to help.
6. Regarding the second picture: I agree that this one looks slightly better (I’ve always loved the Sigma for its fast focusing and the sharp pictures it delivered on my previous cameras). Moving the camera closer to the feeder would be a bit tricky for various reasons, and TBH I’m not a fan of using either a tripod or LV, but I realize I may have to a few times to work this out.

One last question: would you please have a look at this picture and tell me if you see any signs of front or back focusing? It was also taken with the KP+55-300 PLM with the following settings: 300mm @ f/6.3 – 1/160 – ISO 800. The bird was about 3-4 meters away from me and what also helps of course is that it’s a bit bigger than the tiny sparrows. 😉

Thanks again, Des, I’ve taken all your suggestions on board and am going to work my way through them. Wish me luck! 😉

---------- Post added 05-21-20 at 13:40 ----------

Here's some shots of the black-throated warbler female & male. And I certainly agree with all the advice Des has offered. One remark I will add is when I shoot quick moving birds like warblers I typically forsake aperture for a higher shutter speed and hope for good focus. Sometimes I succeed this way and sometimes not. The higher ISO is not as much an issue if you nail the focus, and if @ 2000 ISO or higher I will do a slight adjustment in LR.
Best Regards, Bob
And thank you very much as well, Bob! I know that the 2 lenses I used here will never outperform that terrific 150-450 of yours, but as Des proves, I must be able to do better with the 55-300. All suggestions help! So, to make sure I understand properly: you’re using the Tv setting? Nowadays I mostly use TAv, but looking at the previous 2 pictures I realize I may have set the shutter speed too low for the first one (1/160). The second one was shot at 1/1000 – would you say that’s high enough for these little flitting creatures?

Cheers!

Last edited by lidy; 05-21-2020 at 05:00 AM.
05-21-2020, 05:08 AM - 2 Likes   #1935
Pentaxian

For testing all you need is a ruler and target like this box. Put the ruler right next to target and shoot at the widest possible aperture. You'll be able to see the areas out of focus because they'll be blurry on the rulers. This one was shot from too great a distance and wasn't a focus test....But I do the same kind of thing when I test for front and back focus.

Last edited by normhead; 05-21-2020 at 06:30 AM.