Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Pic mineur / Downy Woodpecker [Picoides pubescens]
02-22-2022, 07:48 AM - 5 Likes   #2599
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We had to take down the two large pines in the backyard which were our bird sanctuary last July. The loss of cover from marauding hawks caused almost all of my frequent feeder visitors to quit coming to my yard at all. I went from spending hours and hours each week photographing a total of thirty one varieties of birds down to just half a dozen super common varieties.
Anyhow- spring must be close, as yesterday 2-21-21, the neighborhood contingent of American robins returned The two pairs which have inhabited my front and back yards for at least the past three years are back. Unfortunately, so are the nuisance European starlings.. KP, DA*300/4 & HD DA 1.4X TC

Attached Images

02-25-2022, 03:16 PM - 7 Likes   #2600
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 and DA 55-300 PLM

Today out at the feeder... no Blue Jay images today, how weird is that?
Downy woodpecker

Red breasted Nuthatch

Evening Grosbeak (F)

Pine SIskins of the Sunflower seed feeder.

Pine Siskin on the old porch rail.

Mourning Dove.

Chickadee

Seen but not photographed. Male Evening Grosbeaks, Blue Jays, Female Purple Finches, Pine Grosbeaks... but hey... tomorrow's another day.

Last edited by normhead; 02-25-2022 at 03:22 PM.
02-26-2022, 01:42 AM - 9 Likes   #2601
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
We had to take down the two large pines in the backyard which were our bird sanctuary last July. The loss of cover from marauding hawks caused almost all of my frequent feeder visitors to quit coming to my yard at all. I went from spending hours and hours each week photographing a total of thirty one varieties of birds down to just half a dozen super common varieties.
Sorry to hear that. We lost a number of trees to fierce storms last year and it has affected our birds. More predators hasn't helped, but breeding success is way down and we are seeing fewer of our regular visitors.

Little Wattlebirds. KP + DA 55-300 PLM

Last edited by Des; 02-26-2022 at 01:30 PM.
03-01-2022, 09:04 AM - 7 Likes   #2602
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All birds I've seen at our feeder, but those were taken on a walk. Bullfinch with DA* 300 on K-3 III, others with HD DA 1.4x TC in between. All but the Goldfinch cropped considerably.

European Robin

European Goldfinch

Eurasian Nuthatch 2

Eurasian Bullfinch, male

The Bullfinch at our feeder likes to sit down inside of it and eat some sunflower seeds for 10 minutes or so, while the blue tits and great tits approach with caution during that time This one was quite easily scared, so just a "proof picture"

03-01-2022, 09:11 AM   #2603
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Sorry to hear that. We lost a number of trees to fierce storms last year and it has affected our birds. More predators hasn't helped, but breeding success is way down and we are seeing fewer of our regular visitors.

Little Wattlebirds. KP + DA 55-300 PLM

The red flowers in the second image make that image pop. Great capture.

I wonder if my appreciation is augmented by the fact, all I have around me is white snow. At the moment, I miss seeing flowers.... naw, it's just a great image. OK, I'm turning off my brain now.
03-01-2022, 02:11 PM   #2604
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The red flowers in the second image make that image pop. Great capture.

I wonder if my appreciation is augmented by the fact, all I have around me is white snow. At the moment, I miss seeing flowers.... naw, it's just a great image. OK, I'm turning off my brain now.
Thanks very much indeed Norm. I guess the flip side is that the snow brings up the colours of the birds. Your Jays,Grosbeaks, Woodpeckers, etc, really stand out. But maybe I should send you some hothouse red flowers to get you through until spring!
03-02-2022, 06:01 AM - 5 Likes   #2605
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are those tasty bugs on those needles?

Long-tailed Tit

Yes they are!

Long-tailed Tit

Yummy!

Long-tailed Tit
03-04-2022, 01:43 PM - 5 Likes   #2606
Pentaxian

We had a bit of sunshine today...

K-3 and DA 55-300 PLM with HD DA 1.4 TC

03-07-2022, 12:47 PM - 4 Likes   #2607
Pentaxian

Spring has sprung.

Not the best images, but the best considering the poor light... here because it marks an important day I might want to look up. A few years ago a raven started hanging out near our yard. The next year there were two. Last year, there was baby raven hopping around behind mom, with it's mouth open looking for food. Very cute. Today, the three returned. It's so good to see them all back, no mishaps in their travels. This taken through the kitchen window, because despite the fact that this is one's fourth year here, they are very shy. If I'd opened the window they would have been gone.

Here are two of them under the feeder rail, the third was back in one of the three flat ground feeding plots.

Yesterday, there were two Starlings out there. It was late in the day, and they aren't nearly as big. So, no image.

Birds at my feeders from day to day.
Year rounders...
Chickadees, Nuthatches, Wood peckers (Hairy, Downy, sometimes a Pilieated, Blue Jays. This year (and last year) but not every year, Pine Grosbeaks

Migrating recent arrivals Purple Finches, Goldfinches, Redpolls, Evening Grosbeaks, Pine Siskins, all of them finches. Notable absences, sparrows (White throated, American Tree sparrows, White crowned, chipping, Song Sparrows, especially Juncos. Normally we have ~10 with us all winter. This year, we have spotted one or two White Crowned Sparrows, but they've never stayed more than a day.

Last edited by normhead; 03-07-2022 at 08:02 PM.
03-16-2022, 02:06 PM - 6 Likes   #2608
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Treecreeper

Eurasian Treecreeper

Successful hunter

Eurasian Treecreeper
03-17-2022, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #2609
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dog-crow?? Snow on its beak, this American crow hunts for grain along the railroad tracks, KP with HD DA 55-300 PLM. 100 percent enlargement.
Attached Images

03-25-2022, 07:31 PM - 3 Likes   #2610
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saw my first Fox Sparrow this week...
It's a nice looking bird, and seems to show often at dusk or during overcast weather, like the red cardinals.

Bruant fauve / Fox Sparrow [Passerella iliaca]