Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-16-2021, 03:10 AM   #2042
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
How interesting...I have seen pink hydrangeas, and green hydrangeas, but never pink-and-green ones. Presumably these are growing somewhere, not a bouquet.
The reason is that these are still developing flowers, just started blooming about two weeks ago. In the garden of the orphanage where I also work.
05-16-2021, 06:17 AM   #2043
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
The reason is that these are still developing flowers, just started blooming about two weeks ago. In the garden of the orphanage where I also work.
Ah, thanks. That makes sense, "unripe" flowers are sometimes just a hint of what they will become. The orphanage explains your images of beautiful children elsewhere in the forum...well done!
05-16-2021, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #2044
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Panagor PMC 90mm 2.8 Macro

05-16-2021, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #2045
Veteran Member

Dancing-Lady Orchids, my first thought was whirling dervishes

05-17-2021, 06:30 AM   #2046
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Macro flower shots

Clematis macro shots with 645Z and Pentax 67 j100mm f 4.0 macro
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
05-17-2021, 06:59 AM   #2047
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pkboy Quote
Dancing-Lady Orchids, my first thought was whirling dervishes

Oncidiums...beautiful! They do "dance" in the wind. Most -- not all -- are yellow and brown. Not sure if these are species or hybrids, it's a group of orchids I don't grow . I do have a few of them, but they are not my favorites...however I can (and do) admire them in other peoples' collections.

05-17-2021, 05:09 PM   #2048
Veteran Member

I can (and do) admire them in other peoples' collections.
I was also admiring someone else's in that photo, that diagonal line on the left of the shot was part of a chainlink fence
05-18-2021, 06:49 AM   #2049
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pkboy Quote
I was also admiring someone else's in that photo, that diagonal line on the left of the shot was part of a chainlink fence
Oh yes, those pesky fences...also power lines, trash bins, mailboxes... all those nuisances that get into frames. Only so much PP is reasonable to get rid of them.
05-18-2021, 07:42 AM   #2050
Pentaxian

05-19-2021, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #2051
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Daisy. KP with M 100/4 macro

05-20-2021, 10:57 AM   #2052
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yellow touch-me-not, a small flower, perhaps not quite small enough to quality as a macro subject, but who will complain? This image turned out softer than I wanted. A tripod would have saved the day.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
05-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #2053
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Yellow touch-me-not, a small flower, perhaps not quite small enough to quality as a macro subject, but who will complain? This image turned out softer than I wanted. A tripod would have saved the day.
In my limited experience, the size of the subject isn't necessarily a criterion for "macro subject"... it's the close focusing capability of the lens. Of course, the smaller the subject the more likely one is to use a macro lens on it, but it's possible to shoot almost anything with a macro lens (well, not everything). Tripods do help a lot! But who wants to schlep one everywhere?

Anyway, a lovely capture. Do you know why those flowers are called "touch me not"? Do they wilt right away, raise welts, what?
05-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #2054
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my limited experience, the size of the subject isn't necessarily a criterion for "macro subject"... it's the close focusing capability of the lens. Of course, the smaller the subject the more likely one is to use a macro lens on it, but it's possible to shoot almost anything with a macro lens (well, not everything). Tripods do help a lot! But who wants to schlep one everywhere?

Anyway, a lovely capture. Do you know why those flowers are called "touch me not"? Do they wilt right away, raise welts, what?
Rather than right my own explanation, here's one copied from a GOOGLE source:

"The seed pods have five valves which coil back rapidly to eject the seeds in a process called explosive dehiscence[6] or ballistochory. This reaction is where the name 'touch-me-not' comes from; in mature seed pods, dehiscence can easily be triggered with a light touch."

The plant is also called "jewelweed" and flowers are most commonly orange. The yellow is just a natural but less common genetic variant. The more common orange variety grows and flowers profusely some places hereabouts, generally in reliably damp soil such as stream or pond margins. It's a species of Impatiens.
05-20-2021, 01:55 PM   #2055
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
"The seed pods have five valves which coil back rapidly to eject the seeds in a process called explosive dehiscence[6] or ballistochory. This reaction is where the name 'touch-me-not' comes from; in mature seed pods, dehiscence can easily be triggered with a light touch."

Aha, thanks! There are other plants that eject seeds that way, including some of our common oxalis weeds. The lightest touch -- possibly even a breeze! -- will send seeds flying.