Photos: Gallery
MAF 50/2.8 Macro

08-22-2021, 06:22 PM   #2102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
MAF 50/2.8 Macro

A very beautiful floral series there, friend. Many thanks for the treats.

Tony
08-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #2103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
A very beautiful floral series there, friend. Many thanks for the treats.

Tony
Thank you kindly, Tony.
08-23-2021, 05:00 AM - 4 Likes   #2104
Pentaxian

MAF 100/2.8 Macro

08-24-2021, 08:53 PM - 3 Likes   #2105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
08-25-2021, 05:12 AM - 3 Likes   #2106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Macro flowers from our garden

A few flowers from our garden captured by K-1 and Leica 35-70mm vario-Elmar-R f 4.0 macro.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-25-2021, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #2107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
A few flowers from our garden captured by K-1 and Leica 35-70mm vario-Elmar-R f 4.0 macro.
That's a nice trio.

---------- Post added 08-25-21 at 08:33 AM ----------

MAF 100/2.8 Macro
Fine set. Good to know there are still flowers in Garden City.

08-25-2021, 07:29 AM   #2108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Fine set. Good to know there are still flowers in Garden City.
Thanks!

Ha! Yes, the golf courses take over most of our open land... but there are still a few parks with nice vegetation within the perimeters (Centenial Gardens in Floral Park + Clark Botanic Gardens in Albertson to name a few)...

Neverteless these are all within my back/front yard. While the missus does not fully like the "organically" seeded wildflowers this year, they've thrived.

Next year, will be a bit more regulated, but nevertheless I expect some buds and flowers to blossom.
08-25-2021, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #2109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Neverteless these are all within my back/front yard. While the missus does not fully like the "organically" seeded wildflowers this year, they've thrived..
Many decades ago I set up a garden in one area of the yard (beds bounded by pressure-treated lumber with narrow paths between) It was originally a "victory garden" for veges, but devolved into flower beds. Every time I visit it I think to myself: "I don't remember planting this."
08-25-2021, 08:21 AM   #2110
Pentaxian

Many decades ago I set up a garden in one area of the yard (beds bounded by pressure-treated lumber with narrow paths between) It was originally a "victory garden" for veges, but devolved into flower beds. Every time I visit it I think to myself: "I don't remember planting this."
I did a veggie garden this year off cedar planks and even a chicken-wire cage for squirrel/bunny protection. Veggies did well... I can see how it may transition into a flower bed in the future, albeit being 4' by 3' it might be an odd shape for a flower bed.
08-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #2111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Every time I visit it I think to myself: "I don't remember planting this."
This occurs to me with some regularity when wandering out in the back yard...I blame the birds
08-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #2112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
This occurs to me with some regularity when wandering out in the back yard...I blame the birds
Nowadays I also have the thought. "I did not plant it, but it is thriving. Why fight against fate? It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature."
08-25-2021, 01:27 PM   #2113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nowadays I also have the thought. "I did not plant it, but it is thriving. Why fight against fate? It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature."
True enough, but there are limits...if I did not control them, the property would be overrun with mahogany, loquat, schefflera and a few other things. And thriving weeds are not in The Plan, either... although more than a few of them are doing better than the desired plantings. I am currently doing battle with an "air potato" vine (Dioscorea bulbifera) that has colonized a clump of cycads...haven't been able to find the base of it in the clump so periodically I rip out as much of it as I can find. Since it grows as fast as bamboo, this is a regular chore. Shame it's such a noxious pest, it's actually rather a handsome thing.
08-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #2114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The two demon plants in our yard are Oriental bittersweet and vetch. I don't know how many i/we have ripped out, but if you don't get every last millimeter of the roots, and you never do, they grow right back. For the bittersweet, M and I have been working as a team. I cut them off near the ground and pull as much of the vine down as possible, and she applies stump-killer with a brush to the woody bit that remains in the ground. It has enormously reduced their energetic growth and spread. As the vetch - hopeless.
08-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #2115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The two demon plants in our yard are Oriental bittersweet and vetch. I don't know how many i/we have ripped out, but if you don't get every last millimeter of the roots, and you never do, they grow right back. For the bittersweet, M and I have been working as a team. I cut them off near the ground and pull as much of the vine down as possible, and she applies stump-killer with a brush to the woody bit that remains in the ground. It has enormously reduced their energetic growth and spread. As the vetch - hopeless.
Believe me, if I can find the base of the air potato, it will suffer an herbicide application, but I understand that it's very, very difficult to eradicate because of the way it propagates itself. Problem is the cycad clump is too prickly to get into. Short of chopping it out completely, which I don't want to do, I don't think I can get to the base of the air potato.