Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3048 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 04:47 AM   #301
Veteran Member

Very nice colors and sharp focus. Interesting composition.... I like it.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

12-05-2014, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #302
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Funny story.... when I was shooting a recent series of photos depicting a "dreary, rainy day in SW Idaho," an ornery little limb was meddling in what I perceived as a good shot.... water droplets dangling from a very picturesque branch. So, without hesitation, I reached up and snapped it off.... POOF! Away fell all the water drops! Well, Duh, Dewman! ..... Sometimes, I amaze me.
Even more fun with snow on the branch........
12-05-2014, 02:48 PM - 2 Likes   #303
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A flower with the new 100WR. I'm really impressed with the lens! It's lighter than I remember the one time I tried it several years ago, and it takes some nice pictures. I haven't had that much of a chance to use it - a half hour before work and a half hour at lunch. I didn't venture far as my eyes were still dilated.

I'm also going to sneak in a leaf, too. It was near the flower.

Both of these were hand-held, maybe this weekend I'll have a chance to try out using the flash in manual mode outdoors. I did try using the flash indoors with this lens, but it wasn't a flower. I'll post the picture in the unusual items thread.
12-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
A flower with the new 100WR. I'm really impressed with the lens! It's lighter than I remember the one time I tried it several years ago, and it takes some nice pictures. I haven't had that much of a chance to use it - a half hour before work and a half hour at lunch. I didn't venture far as my eyes were still dilated.
Glad to hear you are happy with your new lens!

I'm going to do some practice with mine over the winter with off camera flash - have 2 AF200T flashes and Cactus triggers - should be fun!

12-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #305
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Glad to hear you are happy with your new lens!

I'm going to do some practice with mine over the winter with off camera flash - have 2 AF200T flashes and Cactus triggers - should be fun!

Can you explain the "Cactus Triggers" to someone who is uninitiated? I'm assuming they are remote triggering devices... but how do they work? Thanks.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
12-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #306
Veteran Member

Can you explain the "Cactus Triggers" to someone who is uninitiated? I'm assuming they are remote triggering devices... but how do they work? Thanks.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
Yep - remote flash triggers. Before I go and make a mess of trying to explain (brain fog you know), check this out for a background. In this link of reviews, scroll down to the review by Class A - he is the authority on these triggers. I'll be happy to answer any questions with my limited ability.

Cactus Cactus V5 Duo reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
12-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #307
Veteran Member

Yep - remote flash triggers. Before I go and make a mess of trying to explain (brain fog you know), check this out for a background. In this link of reviews, scroll down to the review by Class A - he is the authority on these triggers. I'll be happy to answer any questions with my limited ability.

Cactus Cactus V5 Duo reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

O.K. If my feeble mind understands what it thinks it knows, a transmitter attaches to the hot shoe of the camera. This in turn, upon the shutter release button being pushed, simultaneously triggers the remote flash units via receivers attached to each unit.... correct? If so, that's cool as all getout! Next question, assuming I'm correct up to this point. Can almost ANY flash unit be used as a remote? The reason I ask, I have on hand, four such devices:

1. Pentax AF200S (Fixed head)

2. Pentax AF160Sa (Fixed head)

3. Sunpak auto zoom 933 dedicated (Swivel head)

4. Kalimar 175A Automatic (Swivel Head)

(Are any of them good, bad or indifferent?)

All are in working order. Can they be used with the Cactus devices? If so, this is going to open up a whole 'nother world of photography for me at a very nominal cost! I noticed in the review, it shows an outdoor scene with the remote flashes being set off at a very long distance. This is amazing, not only in it's capability to do so, but the effects it will bring to the entire scene as a whole. Mind-blowing! Jeez..... I won't sleep a wink tonight for thinking of all the possibilities! Like, setting them up on an animal trail with motion sensors to trigger the shutter on the camera! See..... my mind is already in overdrive!

Or, catching an unsuspecting prowler, two or four legged!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA

12-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #308
Veteran Member

O.K. If my feeble mind understands what it thinks it knows, a transmitter attaches to the hot shoe of the camera. This in turn, upon the shutter release button being pushed, simultaneously triggers the remote flash units via receivers attached to each unit.... correct? If so, that's cool as all getout! Next question, assuming I'm correct up to this point. Can almost ANY flash unit be used as a remote? The reason I ask, I have on hand, four such devices:

1. Pentax AF200S (Fixed head)

2. Pentax AF160Sa (Fixed head)

3. Sunpak auto zoom 933 dedicated (Swivel head)

4. Kalimar 175A Automatic (Swivel Head)

(Are any of them good, bad or indifferent?)

All are in working order. Can they be used with the Cactus devices? If so, this is going to open up a whole 'nother world of photography for me at a very nominal cost! I noticed in the review, it shows an outdoor scene with the remote flashes being set off at a very long distance. This is amazing, not only in it's capability to do so, but the effects it will bring to the entire scene as a whole. Mind-blowing! Jeez..... I won't sleep a wink tonight for thinking of all the possibilities! Like, setting them up on an animal trail with motion sensors to trigger the shutter on the camera! See..... my mind is already in overdrive!

Or, catching an unsuspecting prowler, two or four legged!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
The triggers should work with any of those flashes. All they actually do is send a fire signal through the center pin. No TTL or anything like that - you have to adjust your flash manually. I always thought that was daunting until I tried it - just a couple test shots and you are good to go.

The current model of the Cactus units is v6 - I have the v5 set (4). I bought one pair new from Gadget Infinity and another pair on the forum here. Just to note - the older versions from v4 and below are not compatible with v5 and above. I haven't even looked at what the new features of the v6 are.

Also a neat feature is with the purchase of a $5 cable you can use the triggers also as a remote for your camera. One unit in the camera hot shoe with the cable into the remote socket, the second unit in your hand way far away if you want.

So you need one pair for one flash, but then just one singular unit for each successive flash. I have 2 pair of v5's and only 2 flashes but could add a 3rd. That's one of the best parts is using old cheap flashes!

And I have to tempt you with this while we are at it - the Review: Cactus LV5 - What is It? | PentaxForums.com Reviews - so cool!
12-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #309
Veteran Member

The triggers should work with any of those flashes. All they actually do is send a fire signal through the center pin. No TTL or anything like that - you have to adjust your flash manually. I always thought that was daunting until I tried it - just a couple test shots and you are good to go.

The current model of the Cactus units is v6 - I have the v5 set (4). I bought one pair new from Gadget Infinity and another pair on the forum here. Just to note - the older versions from v4 and below are not compatible with v5 and above. I haven't even looked at what the new features of the v6 are.

Also a neat feature is with the purchase of a $5 cable you can use the triggers also as a remote for your camera. One unit in the camera hot shoe with the cable into the remote socket, the second unit in your hand way far away if you want.

So you need one pair for one flash, but then just one singular unit for each successive flash. I have 2 pair of v5's and only 2 flashes but could add a 3rd. That's one of the best parts is using old cheap flashes!

And I have to tempt you with this while we are at it - the Review: Cactus LV5 - What is It? | PentaxForums.com Reviews - so cool!
Wow.... how cool is THAT? What next? Amazing technology, indeed! TFS

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
12-06-2014, 06:54 AM - 5 Likes   #310
Veteran Member

Can almost ANY flash unit be used as a remote?
I'm not familiar with your flashes but the main concerns:

1) Trigger voltage. Older flashes can have high trigger voltages which can fry some remote triggers. The Cactus v5 can handle high voltages, but not all triggers can (if you end up with something else). Test your flash trigger voltage like so: Checking trigger voltage | DPanswers and a list of some user tested measurements: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

2) Manual power control. You want a flash that lets you set the power manually. Some units have only auto controls that rely on the camera to control the power, or have an auto-thyistor built in. These may be unpredictable in the output when used with a trigger, and at best fire at full power all the time. These will be frustrating to use so make sure you have units with manual power controls.

That's really all you need. Nice to have features but not necessary off-camera:

3) Tilt/swivel controls.
4) Zoom.

A good place to start learning about this stuff: Strobist: Lighting 101. One thing I really like about macro/close up stuff is you can take complete control of the lighting of small scale subjects pretty easily. Learning about setting up your own lighting will also help you find and recognize 'good' ambient light. Off camera lights just open up so many worlds for macro photography.

And since we're in a flower thread, here's a tulip:

Frilly Tulip
by Jelly Brain, on Flickr
12-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #311
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I'm not familiar with your flashes but the main concerns:

1) Trigger voltage. Older flashes can have high trigger voltages which can fry some remote triggers. The Cactus v5 can handle high voltages, but not all triggers can (if you end up with something else). Test your flash trigger voltage like so: Checking trigger voltage | DPanswers and a list of some user tested measurements: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

2) Manual power control. You want a flash that lets you set the power manually. Some units have only auto controls that rely on the camera to control the power, or have an auto-thyistor built in. These may be unpredictable in the output when used with a trigger, and at best fire at full power all the time. These will be frustrating to use so make sure you have units with manual power controls.

That's really all you need. Nice to have features but not necessary off-camera:

3) Tilt/swivel controls.
4) Zoom.

A good place to start learning about this stuff: Strobist: Lighting 101. One thing I really like about macro/close up stuff is you can take complete control of the lighting of small scale subjects pretty easily. Learning about setting up your own lighting will also help you find and recognize 'good' ambient light. Off camera lights just open up so many worlds for macro photography.

Frilly Tulip
Thanks so much for the great information. It will come in handy when I delve into this new world.

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA
12-06-2014, 02:19 PM - 3 Likes   #312
Veteran Member

OK a couple of my more recent flower macros. Makinon 135mm and 55 mm extension tubes, Vivitar flash at 1/4 power.

Ladies Tresses Orchid. Only found 2 of these, first ones I've seen since I moved to Texas, I got some shots of dozens in a field in Louisiana.

Same rig, I think these are small Asters, each a bit smaller than a dime, about 1/2 inch across.

Not sure what this one is, EXIF says 1/250 shutter speed so this was without flash, natural sunlight. Same rig.

Another very small flower, this one's about 3/8 inch across, same rig with flash

12-06-2014, 04:22 PM - 3 Likes   #313

Yellow Flower my country!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
12-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #314
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote

Frilly Tulip
Love your tulip!

This board is such a great source of information, especially about things I don't know anything about or understand.

On the other hand, I think I need to stop reading this board - every time I do it costs me money. At least I stopped myself before ordering an inexpensive flash and another Cactus V5. I really need to understand what I do have before I add more complications.

I looked briefly at the V6 when I ordered my V5 Duo a couple of weeks ago and got completely intimidated. I'm so horrible at flash that I need to keep things simple right now. At least I've now tried my flash in manual mode - thanks to information here it is starting to make sense to me and I'm starting to be able to get some consistent results. What a confidence booster (even if I didn't go to the botanical gardens Friday to try it out on some flowers - there's always next week).
12-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #315
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Love your tulip!

This board is such a great source of information, especially about things I don't know anything about or understand.

On the other hand, I think I need to stop reading this board - every time I do it costs me money. At least I stopped myself before ordering an inexpensive flash and another Cactus V5. I really need to understand what I do have before I add more complications.

I looked briefly at the V6 when I ordered my V5 Duo a couple of weeks ago and got completely intimidated. I'm so horrible at flash that I need to keep things simple right now. At least I've now tried my flash in manual mode - thanks to information here it is starting to make sense to me and I'm starting to be able to get some consistent results. What a confidence booster (even if I didn't go to the botanical gardens Friday to try it out on some flowers - there's always next week).
Don't feel alone - I was the same way with manual and off camera flash. So much that all I used in the beginning was my AF540 flash in P-TTL mode. Then after doing some serious reading on the Strobist 101 site and doing some practicing - it was like when learning to ride a bicycle - all of a sudden it hit me and I was good to go. Enough now that I've sold off my AF540 flash and only use my manual flashes anymore. Of course I don't do any inside work that requires flash other than my still life/close up stuff.