Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3048 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2014, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #361
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the Nature Of Soft

Although it lost an important edge of contrast on it's upload to the forum, I like this B&W closeup of a miniature fuchsia.

Shot with a Sears, 135 macro. A quirky lens that can show flashes of character that other lenses can't duplicate.

Like a lot of old lenses, all it ever needed, was a proper lens hood.

@F4

Another good example of macro/close up photography, done on the cheap.

12-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #362
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
Although it lost an important edge of contrast on it's upload to the forum, I like this B&W closeup of a miniature fuchsia.

Shot with a Sears, 135 macro. A quirky lens that can show flashes of character that other lenses can't duplicate.

Like a lot of old lenses, all it ever needed, was a proper lens hood.

@F4

Another good example of macro/close up photography, done on the cheap.

Very nice image, Shooz. The B&W works well with it. I looked at your album and you have some remarkable images there! You did some amazing work with the Sears 135mm lens. Sharp, very sharp. I really liked the cat photos, especially the first one. Extreme sharpness, indeed! Were the nice shots of the squirrel with a Pentax-M, 200mm lens?

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's macro shots are "on the cheap," as I have no real alternative. The Sears 135mm macro-zone lens is indeed a nice piece of glass that imparts a certain glow that I have yet to see in any other lens. It has been my experience that all Sears lenses are quite good... at least the ones I own....and are sorely overlooked by many as being inferior and not worth their time. That's good for us who know better. It helps keep the price down, but their prices are steadily climbing on eBay, due in most part to the great shots posted here on PF. Currently in my Sears locker are the great 28mm, f:2.8 macro, a 50mm, f:2.0, a 50mm f:1.7, a 135mm f:2.8 macro-zone, an 80-200mm, f:4 macro and two 60-300mm-A macro, f:4 lenses. All, without exception, have proven to be of amazing quality build and performance. I paid no more than $20.00 for any one of them! Recently, I went out, taking photos of an old barn and the 28mm it got it's chance to prove it's merits. It did superbly! I highly recommend this lens if you every get the chance to pick one up. Here's an example of it's capability. Whites. Sears 28mm Macro. - Dewman's Album: Dewman's Photos - PentaxForums.com I got mine in a group of three lenses from a Craig's List ad.... all three for $24.00, the other two being the 135mm macro0-zone and the 50mm, f:2.0.

Again, great shot. I didn't mean to ramble on and on, but I was glad to see there's someone of the same ilk when it comes to the Sears lenses.... and "macro on the cheap."

Say.... maybe we need to start a "Macro on the Cheap" club? Wanna' be one of the charter members?

Last edited by Dewman; 12-15-2014 at 10:59 PM.
12-15-2014, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #363
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I was given a lens , 80-200 Auto Focus that was / is pretty much a junk lens :
I put a +2 close focus lens on it to see if it could Macro ..
And I must say , why cant a 200mm lens Macro ? I think it can .. All it took was a +2 CF filter to bring the focus distance down .
K200D has gone to a new home , hopefully the replacement will be here shortly ..
12-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #364
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote

And I must say , why cant a 200mm lens Macro ? I think it can .. All it took was a +2 CF filter to bring the focus distance down .
K200D has gone to a new home , hopefully the replacement will be here shortly ..

Wow, Matt! That's very impressive! I too have an 80-200mm Pentax lens AND I have the close up filters, but have never thought to use them on a zoom. Guess I'll have to try it, eh?

12-16-2014, 01:39 AM   #365
Veteran Member

Always meant to try it , just took me for ever to do it .. Im a little surprised , but seems to work well .
12-17-2014, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #366
Veteran Member

12-17-2014, 12:44 AM   #367
Veteran Member

Yowza! Sharp, sharp and SHARP! Is there much color enhancement done with this in PP or is the lens that good at saturation?

---------- Post added 12-17-14 at 01:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote

I tried pretty much the same set-up you had.... a Pentax-M, 80-200mm zoom, only with a +3 CF. I didn't have the same results you had! Mine were all pretty soft and it was hard as hell to get the focus right! In the viewfinder, it looked sharp as a razor blade, but the image was soft, and had a glow about it as if it was shot with the Sears 135mm macro zone lens. Not my cup of tea at all. Not when I can get results better by a country mile with the .99 cent CPC 80-200mm close focus without ANYTHING added. Same with the Sigma 28-80mm lens. I also tried it with a Pentax-M 200mm prime and a +3 CF. No dice. Terrible! Oh well.

12-17-2014, 02:36 AM   #368
Veteran Member

Just a little PP .. Image was a little dark .... ( No flash )

What aperture were you using , FLASH ? ...

I found if you ran the lens with less than say F16 and no flash , then yes the results can be soft ...

Try with a flash , and with the aperture around F16 or higher ...

A flash helps bring out the detail :
12-17-2014, 05:57 AM - 3 Likes   #369
Veteran Member

A couple of my wife's favorite flowers -

12-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #370
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
A couple of my wife's favorite flowers -

Holy smokes, Storm! What the heck is THAT? It looks like a bleeding heart. Nice capture, my friend.
12-17-2014, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #371
Veteran Member

Didn't know there was a macro flower club. One of my favorite subjects - flowers.

I'll be sharing a few things if you guys don't mind and I will start with this - done with a simple and cheap macro filter mounted on a 45mm Chinon. Personally, I love the dreamy feeling they create.

12-17-2014, 10:25 AM - 2 Likes   #372
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Holy smokes, Storm! What the heck is THAT? It looks like a bleeding heart. Nice capture, my friend.
Yep - Bleeding Heart (Lamprocapnos). Here's a couple more from a few years ago. My wife must have it in the right place as it has turned into more of a bush now - in complete shade.

12-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #373
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Didn't know there was a macro flower club. One of my favorite subjects - flowers.

I'll be sharing a few things if you guys don't mind and I will start with this - done with a simple and cheap macro filter mounted on a 45mm Chinon. Personally, I love the dreamy feeling they create.
We're happy to have you share! For most of us here this is a great learning experience - also I think we shoot more flowers than anything anymore......
12-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #374
Veteran Member

We're happy to have you share! For most of us here this is a great learning experience - also I think we shoot more flowers than anything anymore......
And cats... don't forget cats...
12-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #375
Veteran Member

I second that!

---------- Post added 12-17-14 at 12:07 PM ----------

Yep - Bleeding Heart (Lamprocapnos). Here's a couple more from a few years ago. My wife must have it in the right place as it has turned into more of a bush now - in complete shade.

Great captures! I especially like the composition on #1. A beautiful plant. I'll have to see if they'll survive here in Idaho. But, you have some pretty severe winters there in Pennsylvania, too.... so I don't see why they wouldn't. I've got a good place to put them, too. I found this on the Internet. Interesting, the part about being called "Lady in the Bath." Too cool! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamprocapnos

Last edited by Dewman; 12-17-2014 at 12:12 PM.