Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I think twice about naming / captioning photos now after this one...

Well - scrolling through this thread now, I have to say most of them are no mystery at all - most of the top hits are just great photos.

I still wonder about my ugly little buzzard, though. It's not tagged or anything. And I DO have better shots on my flickr profile!

11-06-2014, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
53000+ views on Flickr, 237 faves, 31 comments. Go figure....
11-06-2014, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That inverse quality to views rule is present here. Fisheye shot at Chicago's Shedd Aquarium - complete with my finger. Over 22,000 views. It was picked up by some Tumblr blog.

11-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
That inverse quality to views rule is present here. Fisheye shot at Chicago's Shedd Aquarium - complete with my finger. Over 22,000 views. It was picked up by some Tumblr blog.

LOL I've got a few with my bower that have bits and pieces of me, even shooting with an EVF I miss it sometimes

11-06-2014, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Playing around with my guitars is my top hobby so this makes sense.

Most viewed

Most favorites

Last edited by Sage97; 11-07-2014 at 11:30 AM.
11-06-2014, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

The two most popular on Flickr:

The two most popular on 500px:

All taken with the FA31.
11-07-2014, 01:54 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Haha, way off topic (apologies to the OP) My point about posting smaller image sizes and watermarking was not about selling, but having images / intellectual property used with out so much as attribution. To your point, I deal with independent retailers in my 9-5 and teaching them how to generate loyalty, and a sense of community is a part of that... Branding. Stock photography is the equivalent of Amazon / mass merchants of the retail environment. zero personal interaction but efficient supply chain and low margins. It will erase all but the most unique "boutique" experiences. Think back on portraiture.. where only the wealthy could afford to hire a painter to create long lasting images, now there are billions of devices that facilitate that.

Never mind the OP, I'll deal with him.

I got your point now...depends what you want to achieve. It's a balancing act between having your work on one hand looked at at all and on the other straight-out stolen. But then I believe this applies to all kinds of work; you bust your ass for a long time, underpaid and working for free, on a vague promise of future reputation (promotion, ...) and high earnings. Been there, done that, just not with camera.

I fully agree with your second paragraph; this also applies across industries. Be unique...or be a commodity.

11-07-2014, 11:27 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

Never been explored, so my stats are relatively modest, but here goes anyway....

My most viewed is a bit of an enigma. It doesn't have that many favorites, so I'm guessing a (relative) lot of people search for "ugly fly" (the title):

My most "favorited" and most "interesting" (whatever that means to Flickr) does make sense, because that shot also recently won a prize in a local photo competition - my first photo prize ever! I used that occasion to "bump it" in my stream, meaning I manually changed the upload date to the present so that it "reappeared" in the photo stream of my contacts, which prompted many new favorites from people that weren't following me when I originally uploaded the shot a few months ago. It's one of my favorite macros, though probably not my own absolute favorite. Anyway, here it is:

11-07-2014, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
The two most popular on Flickr:

The two most popular on 500px:

All taken with the FA31.
great photo 3 photo inspires me to do something like that - love it!
11-07-2014, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I don't understand on Flickr is followers, I follow 140, many from Pentax forums or people I know. I have 315 followers, 196 of them are people I do not follow, many haven't even "faved" any of my photos. Most of these start following when I've got a pic in Explore. I think it must have something to do with that, but why?

According to Flickr, this photo of mine has the most "interestingness"
11-07-2014, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
nice one! I learn something new every day quite useful tool that is
Interesting... let me check !

---------- Post added 2014-11-07 at 19:25 ----------

That's what I thought...
got 9333 view, 204 favs and 29 comments on this one that appeared on the explorer page #82 on Nov 1st 2014

Pygargue à tête blanche / Bald Eagle [Haliaeetus leucocephalus]
by Curculion, on Flickr

it's also on the PPG
11-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gor80 Quote
great photo 3 photo inspires me to do something like that - love it!
Thanks! Much appreciated!
11-07-2014, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Most viewed, yet never added to a group:

I was confused why there were so many views on such a mundane photo, until I realized most of the viewers were probably searching for the word "Naked"!

(To clarify, that's a photo of my Naked by Urban Decay eyeshadow palette.)
11-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
until I realized most of the viewers were probably searching for the word "Naked"!

(To clarify, that's a photo of my Naked by Urban Decay eyeshadow palette.)
LOL ! That's maybe a good tip to trigger more views
Nice shot BTW !
11-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
What I don't understand on Flickr is followers, I follow 140, many from Pentax forums or people I know. I have 315 followers, 196 of them are people I do not follow, many haven't even "faved" any of my photos. Most of these start following when I've got a pic in Explore. I think it must have something to do with that, but why?
Well, it makes sense in that being explored gives you a whole bunch of exposure, and some of the people who see your photo on explore will start following you... Many are also hoping you follow in return, which I read somewhere drives both profiles up in "influence" (that is makes Flickr pay more attention to the favorites and comments you give out in determining the interestingness of other people's photos).

But what I don't get is the following. Whenever someone starts following me, I go see their photos and profile page. And for some of the people who follow me, I've found that the profile is someone who has given out very few favorites, but actually follows an unbelievably large quantity of people. Often upwards of 30k people, even up to 100k or more people that they're following. There's no way you can look at all the photos that one hundred thousand people upload, so I think at least some of those profiles must be bots - ie there is no human directly behind the account, a piece of software is driving it. What I do wonder is what is the bot's purpose? Anyway, when I see that I generally don't reciprocate the follow.