Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 11:00 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Useful re-purposed items you use with your camera kit.

Like the title says, post pictures of items that you've repurposed for your camera kit. These items are things that are meant to be used for other things/reasons that you thought "hey, this would do great for....<purpose/reason/object/etc..>". Please state the uses you put the item through, and why you included it as part of your kit.

I'll start off with:

This is actually the second time I've repurposed one of these neoprene 3ds/DS cases. The first time, I figured out that it was perfect for holding my Seagate 1tb USB 3.0 portable HDD. For my camera kit, I've repurposed one of these cases to hold my battery charger and a spare battery pack (it can hold more). It can also hold memory cards in those little plastic sd card holders in addition to the charger and battery packs. It's made of spandex covered spongy neoprene with a velcro closure, and has fake leather on the face. Thanks to this item, I don't have to dig for either the charger or the spare battery. I just load those objects into the case and slip it into the side pocket on my LowePro Adventura 170 and go.

11-19-2014, 01:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Like the title says, post pictures of items that you've repurposed for your camera kit. These items are things that are meant to be used for other things/reasons that you thought "hey, this would do great for....<purpose/reason/object/etc..>". Please state the uses you put the item through, and why you included it as part of your kit.

I'll start off with:

This is actually the second time I've repurposed one of these neoprene 3ds/DS cases. The first time, I figured out that it was perfect for holding my Seagate 1tb USB 3.0 portable HDD. For my camera kit, I've repurposed one of these cases to hold my battery charger and a spare battery pack (it can hold more). It can also hold memory cards in those little plastic sd card holders in addition to the charger and battery packs. It's made of spandex covered spongy neoprene with a velcro closure, and has fake leather on the face. Thanks to this item, I don't have to dig for either the charger or the spare battery. I just load those objects into the case and slip it into the side pocket on my LowePro Adventura 170 and go.
Credit goes to my DIL a wine bladder as a reflector I guess everything has light upon it once finishing one of these 😀

11-19-2014, 10:28 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

neoprene pencil cases.

music stands, car sun shades and binder clips.

wireless flash slide projector.

frosted clear vinyl umbrella from dollarama. they also have silver ones.

mic stand.
11-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
some creativity going on here, for sure. keep them coming along.

11-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I read the title, I was reminded of the guy who used a roll of toilet paper and duct tape as extension tubes for a Helios 44-2 to make extreme macro photos of snowflakes! It worked surprisingly well. But the tips in this thread are much more sensible!
11-20-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm just surprised nobody's popped in with the modified film canister as a dessicant container yet. If you haven't heard of it, you just take a film canister, poke holes in the top, glue screen material or a scrap of mesh fabric, etc... to the lid and drop dessicant into it. That way you don't have to worry about the dessicant packs tearing and spilling. This works with almost any small container, but film canisters are easiest to work with.
11-20-2014, 12:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Nintendo WII straps for my Q cameras as a wrist strap.
I use neoprene pencil cases to carry the BG4 and BG5 grip.
I place those rubber wrist straps (like the Livestrong) on the zoom ring of my lenses to differentiate from the focus ring without having to take my eye off the viewfinder.

I'm going to look for those DS cases mentioned above. Big Lots?

11-20-2014, 01:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are correct, sir. The photo was taken in a big lots store. No clue whether they'll have them in your area though. Ours are just kind of "left over" from when we stopped carrying video games but oddly enough they still send them to us from the warehouse.
11-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #9

I keep coins as a small screw driver to attach my tripod mount
11-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Lowepro Dashpoint AVC 1 cases (made for GoPro's) are perfect for holding a Q, two lenses and accessories like spare batteries and SD cards, all in one neat package.
11-22-2014, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joeflynn1966 Quote
I keep coins as a small screw driver to attach my tripod mount
Hey I do this too, usually with foreign coins I forget to exchange before returning to USA
11-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That one's always a classic fix. Coins or butterknife as slot screw screwdrivers. Another useful item.... carabiners. Not necessarily a re-purposing really, since their uses are excessive. They are however extremely useful for attaching lens pouches, lanterns, and many other things to a camera bag with.

I don't currently use this one for lens pouches, but it has come in very handy at night when it comes time to carry all those lanterns back to the car. I'm considering getting 2 climbing carabiners to loop through the bag's backloops so that i can hook my tripod bag's handle to the camera bag.
11-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I usually have one of these in my camera bag. I mostly photograph animals, and this mylar ball makes an interesting scratchy crunchy sound that attracts the dog/cat/goat/pig/chicken's attention if I squish it in my left hand - also easy to hold while still gripping the camera.

Petco Mylar Ball Cat Toys - Cat Ball and Mylar Cat Toys from petco.com
11-24-2014, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #14

Aluminium foil as a backdrop together with light creates fun bokeh

A piece of normal paper over the flash makes for a great ghetto softbox

An old 1,4, 2 or even 3x converter with the glass removed works great as a macro extension tube
11-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A cheap way to protect lens is insert them into a foam can cover, that you use to keep your soft drink cool (Warning: Remove drink can first). You can find them at the dollar store. Or if you have a single sock because it's mate has traveled into a black hole, put your lens into the remaining sock. This is works best with thick winter socks.

Last edited by Wingincamera; 11-24-2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: added info