Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 05:23 AM - 2 Likes   #16

I gave up my first idea to place a figure skater on the "ice".
In Camera Raw: Cropped, warmed up white balance. Exposure up and just a little clarity and vibrance. A strong contrast curve. Fixed CA, and a touch of sharpening.
In PS: Darkened the sky and reflection with a curve and mask (almost back to original exposure). Boosted saturation with curves in Lab color mode. Sharpening.

Last edited by LarsW; 05-12-2016 at 09:32 AM.
11-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
was really busy all week so didnt have much time to think this through. heres my quick take on it

11-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Entries are now closed. I'll post a result somewhere tomorrow.
12-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Did I miss the results? I was looking forward to see who won. There are a lot of really great entries.

12-02-2014, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Did I miss the results? I was looking forward to see who won. There are a lot of really great entries.
If he doesn't crown Arizona Dave the winner, I think we may have to riot.
12-03-2014, 05:37 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's coming I still have to work up some courage
12-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It's coming I still have to work up some courage
Go ahead and sock it to me. I can take it.

Too bad there's not a :beer: smiley...

12-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So now for the results:

Discharged: This one is a little too blue for my taste
todd: I like what you did with the sky. The colours are over saturated though. The other two are fun. especially the one with the Lotr like gate.
Bruce Clark: Nice b&w conversion. Pity you cropped so much of the reflection.
JHfwp: Nice edits In the B&W one it rains on the ice. That's kind of strange The other one looks great. It's a water colour painting. Flipping it works well. Maybe a bit overdone though
LarsW: This is probably one of the more balanced edits. I especially like the reflection in this one.
Glenn5995: I like the colours of the houses in this one. The frame and vignetting a bit less. The B&W reflection in the second one seems a bit gloomy to me.
Schnitzer79: Nice and soft with a glow. Colours are great but a lot of detail has disappeared.
K David: A different take with more sedate colours. But not a bad one. The atmosphere is one of illumination by an already set sun which still reflects of the clouds. The one with the Starbucks mermaid was a good laugh.
santa: Like K david but this time with a nice morning wake up atmosphere. Like the silent feel of this pic.
Arizona Dave: A very strong edit. Completely new sky and reflection with stars. Heads up for that edit. I'm not such a fan of the saturation and enhance structure in the building though.
opfor: Very natural edit. The colors seems very accurate. I also like what you have done with the reflection. It almost becomes a mirror.
astonm: This certainly is a bright and sunny morning, great feel, but also it seems like eyes have not adjusted to the bright morning light yet after I just opened the curtains.

You people sure went through a great deal of trouble with this one. This leaves me the difficult task of picking a winner. Maybe on another day I would have picked differently but today my preference goes to softness So here goes.

3. Schnitzer79
2. santa
1. K David

It was a close call between 1 and 2 but eventually de originality of muting the obvious colors made me choose.

@K David your it
12-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats winners! Well done! I guess we'll have to save our riot for another round.

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The colours are over saturated though.
That's funny you say that. You're right but I didn't actually ever touch a saturation slider. I was going after the idea of trying to pull as much distinct color pop and texture as I could out of each house/color... It was the tone mapping I would guess (that I was purposely pushing the scale and weight on) that took it to the over saturated look...

See y'all next round.
12-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations K David! Looking forward to the next round.
12-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

My "ice" was a pretty weak attempt at having the water being blown around. Looking at it, I can see why you would think that though!

Great choice on the winner. For some reason, sharpening the photo really didn't do much for me. But softened up... it really pulled me in.

Thanks for hosting, D1N0. Great job everyone!
12-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Wow, thank you! I actually predicted that Santa would take this one, so this is really a nice surprise.

I have the next photo picked out and I'll share it shortly.
12-03-2014, 11:55 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
congrats to the winner. i would have chose the same one to be honest. good work
12-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #29

Congrats K David