Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There's no-way I'll participate much this month...moving in to my new house later this week. I was out Sara's way last week (Eastern Kansas and thereabouts) and had a few interesting shots, thought I'd share them here. There's a couple of pano's on my flickr as well. Too lazy to wait for them to upload before posting (mother-in-law's internet is less-than-fast).

12-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I was out Sara's way last week (Eastern Kansas and thereabouts)
Dang! You gotta let me know this stuff! :-D I'm down for a road trip and some pictures. ^_^

Hope you're gettin' settled in...
12-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #153
Forum Member

Nice photos Dan, would be great to know where they were taken. Looking at your surname I'm willing to bet that You've got family in europe
12-09-2014, 03:47 AM   #154
Pentaxian

I'm finding something interesting with the Sigma, this being its first outing since I've started using Lightzone. One of the first tools I deploy in Lightzone is the zone-mapper, and that gives a really good indication of how dark and bright are the darkest and lightest areas of an image. So far this month most of my photos have had blacks very close to black, and whites very close to white. That, as well as just seeming good in itself, means there are more zones left in between black and white, so more useful dynamic range and contrast, when compared to, say, the soligor, which needed its images dragging down a lot, usually.

12-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Feel I should apologize, as I'm going to be probably posting a whole bunch of photos all at once come Sunday or Monday. Family's in town, so I'm not really having much time to post-process at the moment.
Desperately trying to get back in the groove. Going through and picking from so many days' worth of shots is not one of my preferred past times, and I'm still really not feeling the lens.

Hopefully I can get caught up by tonight, which should make things a bit better at least. Hopefully.
12-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A question for M42 masters,
Is it possible to glue an adapter(M42-K) to a lens, so you'll be able to use it just like any other K mount lens?

PS: I've never used M42 lenses.
12-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
I'm finding something interesting with the Sigma, this being its first outing since I've started using Lightzone. One of the first tools I deploy in Lightzone is the zone-mapper, and that gives a really good indication of how dark and bright are the darkest and lightest areas of an image. So far this month most of my photos have had blacks very close to black, and whites very close to white. That, as well as just seeming good in itself, means there are more zones left in between black and white, so more useful dynamic range and contrast, when compared to, say, the soligor, which needed its images dragging down a lot, usually.
Not to deflate your sense of the quality of glass affecting contrast in the image, I just thought I'd point out that looking at your exif.. Your Sigma is Multi-Segment metering, and your Soligor was on Center weighted (as are all your manual exposing lenses). As you know, the Multisegment will do the best job at "keeping the tails in the histogram" while center weighted might result in some degree of clipping depending on the scene.

12-09-2014, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #158
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
Is it possible to glue an adapter(M42-K) to a lens, so you'll be able to use it just like any other K mount lens?

Yes. Make sure the adaptor fits your body well first though. The OEM Pentax adaptors I have fit much better than the el cheapo third party adaptor I was given.
12-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Except for the a-fore mentioned deficiency of camera body behaving as though "no lens" is equipped (so no catch in focus). Plus, it takes a bit of a knack getting used to manually stopping down the lens after focusing (slow lenses will almost always have to be focused wide open, then stopped down when exposure is made).
12-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #160
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Finally have my 28mm after a lengthy delay in customs, so happy but angry at the delay. Will sit this one out and think about next month instead.
12-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #161
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Yes. Make sure the adaptor fits your body well first though. The OEM Pentax adaptors I have fit much better than the el cheapo third party adaptor I was given.
I'm looking for a good adaptor, but now it's not possible to get Pentax one :/
12-10-2014, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote

Yes, my Super Macro-Takumar 50/4, came with one well and truly attached and it took me an age to work out why I couldn't find this lens in the Pentax database (Duh!). Anyway I can't remove it, so it just stays as a K mount. No dramas.

---------- Post added 10-12-14 at 08:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by darek Quote
I'm looking for a good adaptor, but now it's not possible to get Pentax one :/
It's a long way away and the price is nothing special but the genuine adapters are still listed in the Pentax (Ricoh) Australia webstore.
12-10-2014, 03:33 AM   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Not to deflate your sense of the quality of glass affecting contrast in the image, I just thought I'd point out that looking at your exif.. Your Sigma is Multi-Segment metering, and your Soligor was on Center weighted (as are all your manual exposing lenses). As you know, the Multisegment will do the best job at "keeping the tails in the histogram" while center weighted might result in some degree of clipping depending on the scene.

Ah. Wonder why that changed. Makes sense. Also doesn't upset me, as perhaps I'll get a touch better pics than I was from my other lenses now
12-10-2014, 05:34 AM - 2 Likes   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find that skin tones can be under exposed in outdoor scenes on Multi Segment, and inversely blown/over exposed in dark scenes, so be careful - There is a time and place for both Multi and Center Weighted
On another note:
After a couple of long years participatong with Single In Challenges and recieving valuable critique which has made improvements to my photography in general and individual shots in particular. It seems an idividual has not accepted photo critique from me and has responded by PM.
1stly, lets not take ourselves so seriously that we cannot discuss the merits of an individual photo in level headed discussion. 2ndly if you just want a pat on the back and no suggestions you ought to say that when you sign up. And finally, The value of this group is the brutal honesty that a collective that works together for an extended period of time can have.

To that individual - we both appear to be here for different reasons. and that our opinions might differ on the purpose of this photo group. I recommend you read over the preamble of this very thread - particularly "The rewards". I tell you there has been a time or two that I might have wanted to tell some folks to take a hike but if I look back, it has been the critique from them that had been the fairest overall.
12-10-2014, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
perhaps I'll get a touch better pics than I was from my other lenses
Yeah, because I didn't want to say anything, but all those lorikeet pictures were TERR-I-BLE...

---------- Post added 12-10-14 at 06:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
After a couple of long years participatong with Single In Challenges and recieving valuable critique which has made improvements to my photography in general and individual shots in particular. It seems an idividual has not accepted photo critique from me and has responded by PM.
1stly, lets not take ourselves so seriously that we cannot discuss the merits of an individual photo in level headed discussion. 2ndly if you just want a pat on the back and no suggestions you ought to say that when you sign up. And finally, The value of this group is the brutal honesty that a collective that works together for an extended period of time can have.

To that individual - we both appear to be here for different reasons. and that our opinions might differ on the purpose of this photo group. I recommend you read over the preamble of this very thread - particularly "The rewards". I tell you there has been a time or two that I might have wanted to tell some folks to take a hike but if I look back, it has been the critique from them that had been the fairest overall.
Bummer. I was actually just recollecting last night about a time that I made a critique on a portrait once, way back when I was first on Flickr. The guy was so upset that anyone would post anything short of glowing praise about his photos. I briefly tried to defend Flickr as a forum for discussing photography before he blocked me. I only lost a little bit of sleep, and I'm 100% over it, now. And while I still think I was right and he was wrong, I have struggled to keep myself within the line of, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". I feel like this group is a little more prepared to receive and process critique, but I try to be very clear about my level of photography expertise: I'm at the Belly-Crawling Lizard stage (versus the Soaring, Screaming Eagle level). But, still, if I'm thinking twice about posting a comment/critique, I usually just don't post it.

(I'm so desperately curious to ask you who PM'ed you, because I have a guess and a morbid curiosity for DRAMA. It's shameful of me, I know!)