Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 07:26 AM   #316

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Cool….have you mentioned somewhere what your going to do and see? (in case I missed it)[COLOR="Silver"]
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
how exciting big ted! where abouts in Oz will you be travelling to?
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Whereabout in the Big Country are you going? You probably mentioned it, but I have no memory ...
At the moment I will be flying in to Melbourne arriving on Feb 28l and staying in Cape Schanck on the Peninsula then about 3 weeks later I'll be probably taking the train up towards Newcastle and spending some time with Rod before heading home on April 8. I haven't yet fully fleshed everything out, LOL. Narrowing down how long my parents were willing to feed my kitty was the first step.

12-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #317
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So jealous Stevi. Enjoy
12-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
At the moment I will be flying in to Melbourne arriving on Feb 28l and staying in Cape Schanck on the Peninsula then about 3 weeks later I'll be probably taking the train up towards Newcastle and spending some time with Rod before heading home on April 8. I haven't yet fully fleshed everything out, LOL. Narrowing down how long my parents were willing to feed my kitty was the first step.
How awesome is that! Enjoy every minute!
12-30-2014, 04:21 AM - 3 Likes   #319
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just settling in at our Far South Coast retreat after an all day drive dragged out by holiday traffic. At this time of year the nearest town's population swells from 2,500 to over 15,000 with the result that the normal net bandwidth is choked with teens and twenty somethings facebooking etc and severely constraining serious internet work like posting to PF and Flickr. It's taken over half an hour just to post two pictures tonight, so for the next week and a bit I'm going to leave commenting until the mornings when the youngsters are still in bed.

12-30-2014, 07:17 AM - 4 Likes   #320
Veteran Member

Sandy asked about my sharpening workflow (If I have something like that )
Because you asked under this photo from today, and I should say it's one of those photos which I had quite a lot of sharpening applied, I'd explain in detail over it:

So here is the explanation:
First of all, I start it in the detail tab of lightroom, and here is my guide in that: Guid to Image Sharpening
And here is my detail tab for that specific photo:
First, The photo were shot without flash and at ISO1600, and that's a big challenge in sharpening! (flash adds a lot of contrast to the photo which results in it look sharper, and ISO1600, you know that)

Note: This is one of rarest times I pushed the Amount and Radius sliders so much. You will find more info about this part in the article mentioned above.

But here that wasn't enough!
Here is when selective sharpening comes!
Here I had two local things running on the photo, one Graduated filter on top, because the top side is in fact out of focus, and shouldn't be bothered with my sharpening, and due to UWA funkiness, it looks quite weird, so this filter will compensate for those things:

Now comes the area around dragonfly:
Note: local adjustment is the only place I touch clarity slider (Well, TBH, I rarely do move it to +5 or +10 in landscape shots where everything is in focus)

Not a great brush work , but that's fine for web view.

Well, that's all related to my sharpening workflow.
And at this time if I were you, I would like also to see the basic tab adjustments, so here it is:

And there was also a small Radial filter around the dragonfly with -100 in highlights slider, because I thought that would be helpful too.

That's all for this photo.
I hope it helps.
Attached Images

12-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #321
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Mehrdad. I suspected there was more work (and knowledge) behind this image than met the eye. My post-processing is extremely basic by comparison; I still have much to learn.
12-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #322
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
Sandy asked about my sharpening workflow (If I have something like that )
I'd just echo Sandy's thanks Mehrdad. We learn much from the technical advice you are so willing to share. Much appreciated.

12-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #323
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wow. thanks for sharing!

sure makes me feel pretty amateurish. i just use faststone.....

makes me wonder if i went and got lightroom and went to the effort of doing all that pp work, how many other salvageable shots i could get...
12-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lightroom is definitely a useful tool....

Speaking of tools, I dropped my K1000 Sunday. Today I stopped by the shop for an estimate on repair - in the course of the exchange, he wanted to calibrate with my own lens... so with two days left in the month, I have no K 55mm f2 to wrap up with... bleh.

New years resolution... put the darn strap around my neck. (I had it over my shoulder and the works slid off and to the ground..)
12-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #325
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote

Speaking of tools, I dropped my K1000 Sunday. Today I stopped by the shop for an estimate on repair - in the course of the exchange, he wanted to calibrate with my own lens... so with two days left in the month, I have no K 55mm f2 to wrap up with... bleh.

New years resolution... put the darn strap around my neck. (I had it over my shoulder and the works slid off and to the ground..)
Shit, sorry to hear that, Matt!
12-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #326
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I dropped my K1000 Sunday.
That's a real bummer Matt - a salutary lesson to us all.
12-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #327
Veteran Member

Oh, that's awful.
And remembering that my strap is always inside the bag and I don't wear it usually, made me fear about K-3 :|
Should change that habit.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Thanks Mehrdad.
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
I'd just echo Sandy's thanks Mehrdad.
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
wow. thanks for sharing!
You are most welcomed.

---------- Post added 12-31-14 at 11:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
My post-processing is extremely basic by comparison; I still have much to learn.
My PP also most of the times (over 90%) is very fast and basic in the basic tab and detail tab.
But sometimes it needs more work to make what you want.
12-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #328
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thankfully (I Think) it appears as a lost index on the speed control circuit. Hopefully a quick repair. Sentimental value for that body.

That being said, I finished the roll using sunny 16. I think I have to mix new Chems so posting after N/Y likely.
12-31-2014, 01:04 AM   #329
Pentaxian

Bogus Fingers crossed for you.

I took the strap completely off my camera a while back O_O after getting my Capture; it was just a pain having the both. I think I want a Capture Pro, and a strap that can hook into the D ring at the bottom of that. Or maybe just a strap that can clip on instead of the extremely-awkward standard strap that does not lend itself to regular or quick removal and reattachment.
12-31-2014, 02:01 AM   #330
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Or maybe just a strap that can clip on instead of the extremely-awkward standard strap that does not lend itself to regular or quick removal and reattachment.
Capture's strap is just the one!
I have it, and it's fast to attach/dettach the strap from camera.