Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 07:01 PM   #346
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seems like December was DA15 month.......I hadn't used my HD DA much........ mostly because I favour the 21 or 31 or just naturally longer lenses. Anyway.....I chose the HD version because star bursts were not important to me, so I thought I might as well have the benefits of the better coatings etc.....it's mostly a travel lens for me.

Anyway......3 images from the month got explored......so something must have worked!

Generally, for me, I have to think quite a bit before shooting with this lens if I'm to get a great shot.......more so than with the 21/31/43 etc. But get it right and the shots have.....say....impact.

Thankyou all so much for your comments on the photos.

I hope you all have a great and safe 2015!

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-01-2015 at 07:12 PM.
01-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #347
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Stick with it, Mehrdad. Once you get the K-3 sorted it will really start to sing.
Already sold the K-30, so I have to work with it.

Smaller, lighter, nicer construction, awesome hood, infinitely better flare resistance, quick shift, nicer colour rendition, less nervous bokeh, slightly wider field of view....
Thanks a lot, and another question is:
How do you compare them in the aperture range of 2.8/3.2 to 5.6 (where DA21 isn't sharp across the frame, but it is great in the center)
01-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #348
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, here's the quick and dirty review of the Promaster 28/2.8 aka Sigma Mini Wide II:

Pros:
- decent bokeh which gets downright creamy under the right conditions
- close focus ability...lets you get right up close to smaller subjects, so even higher aperture settings still have nice OOF areas
- contrast seems ok, not as good as some, but not too bad either
- color rendering seems fine

Cons:
- not as sharp as my SMC-A 28/2.8, nor does it have the 3D ish effect of that lens at times. Edges much less sharp than the center, at times making me wonder if there's something wrong with it.
- in Av mode (it is an A lens) it didn't meter that well...I was dialing -1.7 at times. I later noticed I was in spot metering, so I'm sure that had something to do with it, but even before I noticed that switch setting, I was finding more consistent metering by going to Manual and using stop down (green button) metering.
- barrel distortion is pretty bad with this lens in my opinion. Seems more exaggerated in portrait shots vs landscape.

I'll probably keep it as I doubt it would be worth much to sell it. It came along with another lens I was after, so it's an extra anyway.

For the challenge: it was tough finding the time to keep up with looking at/commenting on y'all's shots. Between travel for work and projects around the house and trying to process and post my own shots, I just ran out of steam most days. So, a big apology. Head cold...had to pull myself off my latest trip as altitude and sinus issues don't mix. Some M42 lenses on the way...Rikenon 55/1.4 and a Kiron Vivitar 28/2.5. I've really been wanting a Yashinon DX 50/1.4 with the chrome barrel, but can't seem to snag one for a price I'm willing to pay. I've read though, that the Rikenon is a Tomioka lens also, so we'll see. Should be here in a couple days, so I may join Jan late or just wait til Feb.
01-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #349
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I spent December with my DA21.
Unfortunately ill-health prevented me from shooting many times.
It's still my favourite "street" lens, followed by my Sigma Art series 35/1.4 (but the DA35/2.8 macro is good too). I just can't warm to the FA 31/1.8, but that's just me.

and a ps:

If Ricoh/Pentax are heading down the FF pathway (which I seriously doubt) they sorely need a moderately fast 24-120 (perhaps f4) zoom, or some FF capable primes @24,28,35 as well as the excellent FA77 and FA50. Just can't see it happening in 2015 at all.

01-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #350
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
How do you compare them in the aperture range of 2.8/3.2 to 5.6 (where DA21 isn't sharp across the frame, but it is great in the center)
If I was the kind of guy who cared about that sort of stuff I would have done it. I just like the DA21 more, OK?
01-02-2015, 12:24 AM   #351
Veteran Member

OK?
Yes Sir yes!
01-02-2015, 12:34 AM   #352
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
I spent December with my DA21.
Unfortunately ill-health prevented me from shooting many times.
It's still my favourite "street" lens, followed by my Sigma Art series 35/1.4 (but the DA35/2.8 macro is good too). I just can't warm to the FA 31/1.8, but that's just me.

and a ps:

If Ricoh/Pentax are heading down the FF pathway (which I seriously doubt) they sorely need a moderately fast 24-120 (perhaps f4) zoom, or some FF capable primes @24,28,35 as well as the excellent FA77 and FA50. Just can't see it happening in 2015 at all.

Sorry about the health, mate. I hope things look up. I looked forward to every shot you did post.

And I'd be rather interested in such a 28 for my "littler sensor" should it materialise.

01-02-2015, 12:39 AM   #353
Veteran Member

If I was the kind of guy who cared about that sort of stuff I would have done it. I just like the DA21 more, OK?
So now I can be content with my 21......thanks!....
01-02-2015, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #354
Pentaxian

Hi there!

Was a great month with you guys!

I try to sum up little my Sammy 85/1.4

well First of all it is really sharp lens if you manage to get focus correct. big, fast lens. I would really like for it to be able to focus closer. Maybe raynox for that, dunno. for it's prize it is good lens. takes time to start seeing focus snapping at it's place. and using LV with 100% focus zoom helps, but does frustrate your model if you use humans, animals will go on and walk away. so AF would be great too...
but if you learn to see focus, and are willing to use MF it is nice lens. stopped down it is really sharp, but some how colors and rendering are less to my liking than lets say DA*55. Also BIG negative is fringing in high contrast. I really don't know what is it. purple ball in middle of image. nothing like I have seen before. but it ruins my winter shots. And I like to shoot at winter. especially landscape. Maybe longer hood would help that? I'm using lens hood which came with that lens and it is not for aps-c. Other that that. it worked just well. no problem.

I'd give this lens recommendation with some caution. It is modern lens, but thin dof might be trouble if you are not able to master manual focusing. And if you are interested of shooting small things like flowers, then think twice. you will need more than just this lens.

Take care and thank you for last year and last month.

-Aapo