Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
So, as part of this contest, I decided to process my photo, too. I mean, I would have to prior to sharing it with the Thanksgiving guests anyway.

Here's what I came up with:

I happen to like the vast majority of what you guys did more than I like mine. I specifically picked this image because I didn't see anything that it obviously 'needed' in post other than color correction, so I figured it would be a challenge to go beyond color, contrast, tone, and sharpening changes.

So, first, here are two honorable mentions.

Tim, I wouldn't have ever thought to use a kaleidoscope effect. Nice result and good call.

svreinis, had I not taken the picture, I would not have known the squids were added-in. That's excellent compositing.

Third place

D1N0, The painting take on this was excellent. Of all the entries posted, this was my favorite to look at and the most aesthetically pleasing

Second place

Savas, the triptych approach was unique among the entries and a great out of the box solution. For me, the distraction here was that the first and second panes clearly are out of order (the strainer handle gives it away.) The second and third have enough in common along their shared edge to look like they belong together, so the result ended up feeling a bit confused for me. That said, if I were told to pick one of the entries to hang on a wall for display, this one would have been it.

First place

Todd, you get to host the next challenge, if you'd like. Looking at the won tons and thinking they're little alien faces was a paradigm so far removed from anything I could conceive that I think this is the best and most logical choice to win. And I laughed, a lot, too.

Thank you everyone for joining this challenge. It was a lot of fun to see what you came up with. I'm looking forward to what the next contest host throws at us.

12-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Congratulations Todd on a great entry. See, no Godzilla even needed. Thanks for hosting and judging David. I was amazed at the variation presented from a fully filled frame (very little cropping options).

Tim
12-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Congrats Todd , Thanks K David for hosting and the interesting pic. I had a lot of fun with it. Also congratulations savas, nice one.
12-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Congrats Todd! Ever since you posted yours I haven't been able to look at any of these without imagining little eyeballs and mouths all over.

Lots of creativity this week. (I also liked the little hands, especially the one hanging from the basket.) Good job everyone!

12-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Todd, you get to host the next challenge, if you'd like.
Thanks for the nod! I guess taking the extreme zany angle paid off here... I burned out and didn't achieve the original inspiration... Considering we had a week for the challenge, if I had paced myself and just done a little bit every day, I could have achieved it, which was each wonton with the three eyes and a mouth in some fashion, and then something better (fish/ocean related) in the basket for spongebob to be looking at... But the idea got across I guess... It's been a while so I'll go for it...

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
See, no Godzilla even needed.
I don't know how you can say this. Poor, poor godzilla.

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Congrats Todd
Thanks! I think you're the real winner with the 'my favorite to look at and the most aesthetically pleasing' comment. Maybe you paid him so you wouldn't have to host? hahaha jk

QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
Good job everyone!
Thanks and ditto that!

Off to go find an image... Edit: here is it mateys

Last edited by todd; 12-11-2014 at 05:40 PM.
12-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations todd!
12-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #37

Thank you for allowing me to enter, I was thinking of having Godzilla spewing these

12-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Come on people. Some competition

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/28...nge-131-a.html