Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2015, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #316
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Auto-Takumar (Zebra) 55/1.8

I don’t really think I put this great lens through all its paces this month, but it produced enough high quality images to guarantee its place in my Takumar lens box. This month was the first time I used it and it was coupled with my K50. Manual focus was its usual challenge but with the K50 I was able to use focus peaking on occasions. Bizarrely perhaps I just used the optical viewfinder most of the time! When I got this right the lens was super sharp, one of the best I’ve got. Landscapes in particular were a delight to inspect, although I often resorted to stitching images to get the field of view I wanted. Focusing was more critical for close-ups wide open but I was very happy with the number of keepers I got. With my Raynox 150 or 250 attached it’s a superb macro lens. In all instances it was intriguing to focus wide open and then watch the changing dof as the manual aperture ring was rotated. And the lens was still fast enough to see subjects through the viewfinder even when even closed down to f16. Colours sometimes seemed a little subdued in unprocessed images but the tiniest tweaking of levels immediately brought out a vibrant but natural rendering of the spectrum. On the other hand its rendering of star colours was not a strong point. Bokeh is a treat, especially when the separation of subject and background is the “right ratio” (still not sure what that is) and a lovely painterly effect emerges. My copy produces great starbursts even at f5.6 and its flare resistance can result in very nice into-the-sun shots. Finally, there’s the enormous pleasure of producing very acceptable pictures with digital technology using an unpretentious little lens built 57 years ago.

02-01-2015, 02:48 AM   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My lens for the month was my Sigma 70-200 OS HSM 2.8......... it was pretty well my first expensive lens that I bought when getting a bit more into phptograph. I specifically bought it as a travel lens to go with me on a china trip to use for things like the Terracota Warriors

by Noelpolar, on Flickr

Anyway.... I use it now only occasionally for things like functions, zoos, weddings and as a walkaround lens in the bush. I had a friends wedding to do this month....so the idea for the single in was to warm up with it prior to the wedding. Turns out I didn't need it for the wedding after all. Anyway, I've recently purchased a sling strap (black Rapid) for it which makes it easeir to use as well as a sling bag that takes it mounted with room for a prime (such as DA21/31).

Anyway I had fun with the lens and it is a bread and butter go to lens for me that takes great shots and is useful at 2.8 at both zoom extremes.....I really love it for dog/pet shots.

by Noelpolar, on Flickr
02-01-2015, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #318
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
My copy produces great starbursts even at f5.6 and its flare resistance can result in very nice into-the-sun shots. Finally, there’s the enormous pleasure of producing very acceptable pictures with digital technology using an unpretentious little lens built 57 years ago.
wow, starbursts at f5.6?! noooo!!! don't make me covet, ozzord!

...maybe my non zebra 55/1.8 tak should get some fun in the sun to see if it does similar.

Hear, hear re the mix of digital tech and old school lenses. That's what excites me most about Pentax. You feel like you're reinventing things when you use old lenses on digital bodies. It just appeals to my thrifty nature and gives me a chance to explore things that I wouldn't on a normal budget.

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 02-01-2015 at 02:12 PM.
02-04-2015, 10:57 PM   #319
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Time for my wrap up as well. I shot all month with the Q7 + the 01 f1.8 prime lens. Considering that I've had this lens for quite a while now as it came with my original Q camera, I've clearly given it a workout before and will likely do so in the future. It's a keeper and that too is no news to me. As this month wore on, I realized that the 01 lens is a good to sometimes great lens but just not that inspiring (and that to me is a surprising realization). It may have been the subjects chosen or just that I didn't push it hard but I think the Q7 just likes lenses that zoom more. The 01 just isn't a landscape lens but does better with closer subjects. In low light it's ok, but the advantage that f1.8 gives just isn't enough. That said, if you own or want to own a Q system, you will need this lens as it's AF, and has a built in ND filter (do do the firmware update on the lens though).

So the 01 is good one, sometimes a great one, but - for me - it's missing that sparkle.

02-05-2015, 04:28 AM   #320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Didn't know there was a firmware update for the lens! Thanks Tim. Good review - I agree on all your points. I'd also add much of the goodness comes from software correction.
02-05-2015, 04:47 PM   #321
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are firmware updates for the 01 and 02 lenses. That's all that I know of.
02-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #322
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
There are firmware updates for the 01 and 02 lenses. That's all that I know of.
I didn't know that, thanks.
I found them here: Latest PENTAX Q Lenses Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING