Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 154 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2015, 12:03 AM - 8 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great thread and images here! Didn't actually do much "serious" shooting in 2014, and even then when I did get out on occasion, it was often using the 'un-serious-but-serious-fun' DA10-17 FE that I acquired in April...

There are probably a few other shots that would have made this list if I were not so lazy, but felt like picking only from the few shots that I happened to post to flickr during the year...

from my first time out with the FE

again from one of my first times shooting FE

DA15 in Shasta County CA

Redding CA with FE

Same as above

DA15 at Huntington Pier

From my first roll of (expired) film put through my first MF camera (Yashica Mat 124G TLR)

FE in Shasta County

Burney Falls DA15

FE in Santa Ana CA

01-02-2015, 04:16 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Great thread and images here! Didn't actually do much "serious" shooting in 2014, and even then when I did get out on occasion, it was often using the 'un-serious-but-serious-fun' DA10-17 FE that I acquired in April...

There are probably a few other shots that would have made this list if I were not so lazy, but felt like picking only from the few shots that I happened to post to flickr during the year...

from my first time out with the FE

again from one of my first times shooting FE

DA15 in Shasta County CA

Redding CA with FE

Same as above

DA15 at Huntington Pier

From my first roll of (expired) film put through my first MF camera (Yashica Mat 124G TLR)

FE in Shasta County

Burney Falls DA15

FE in Santa Ana CA
Nice! My faves are the 3rd and 6th shots.
01-02-2015, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Nice! My faves are the 3rd and 6th shots.
Thanks! I like all yours but if I had to pick faves of the faves, they'd be 4, 5, 6, 8
01-02-2015, 01:56 PM - 5 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't do a whole lot of shooting the first half of the year...just documentary stuff of repairs I was making to stereo equipment. But, a couple layovers gave me some material and we took a vacation to Hawaii. Here's some that i have up on flickr for easy posting, but there are probably others from Hawaii that could go here and just haven't been uploaded anywhere.

01-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some great shots, Todd, Chris and John. Amazing the variety of locations and visions that come out in a thread like this.

Looking forward to more posts...
01-02-2015, 03:48 PM - 8 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just 10? So hard...

01-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just 10? So hard...

Some beautiful shots, Boris. I particularly like the snow leopard and the lighthouse at sunset, but they are all good.

01-02-2015, 08:46 PM - 6 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for starting this thread, Rondec. There's an impressive amount of talent on display here. My own humble output is rather pedestrian by comparison. But I had fun shooting, and especially in getting to know my manual lenses, all smc PentaxM-series legacy primes purchased from forum members: M-28/2.8, M-50/1.7, and M-135/3.5. All my photos were captured on my venerable Pentax K-200D, and I'm looking forward to getting to know my new K5-IIs (Merry Christmas!). My photo goals this year were to illustrate geologic subjects and make them understandable to a lay audience, and perfect (I'm not even close) the capture of water in all its phases. I particularly hope to bring moving water to life and give the photos a sense of the current lines and wave forms. (Lots of work to do on this still.) I have eclectic interests, though, and didn't ignore other subjects. So, welcome to my world. I'll start with an example of...

1.Soulless Modern Architecture Nothing beautiful about the building whatsoever. Sigma 10-20/4-5.6 EX DC.

2. Out of Gas A sign of the times in much of rural New York state. One of my first shots with the M-50/1.7

3. Wind Power Photographed in a light snow shower. Another shot with my M-50.

4. The Primitive Life How I like to relax. Morning from inside the tent pitched in the woods, and captured with the Sigma 10-20.

5. Hard as Rock As a geologist, one-time rock climber, and a canoeist, I can never resist a good outcrop near a river. I'm discovering that the M-28/2.8 imparts a lot of blue in shady river scenes. I tried to bring colors into the realm of reality, but water at this location always seems very blue.

6. River at 6500cfs That's a lot of power in the flow there. Shot with the M-135/3.5.

7. Condensation Water in a gentler form, but it can have a dampening experience when the tent isn't well enough ventilated. Shot with a Pentax DA55- 300mm/4-5.8 ED with a Raynox DCR-150 on its snout.

8. Bigtooth Aspen After a Rain Autumn woods are a splendid wash of brilliant color, but nothing lasts forever... Shot with my Pentax M-50.

9. First Stage Toward Fossilization As the leaves are buried by layers of sediment, they begin the process toward fossilization. If undisturbed, they may become lithified and in a few million years be unearthed once more. Shot with the M-28.

10. Optimism I can't help but see this small aspen sapling growing in an abandoned robin's nest as a fighter. Also shot with the Pentax M-28

Thanks for looking! And thanks to everyone for showing their wonderful photos.
01-02-2015, 09:44 PM - 6 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rather than pick the top 10 for the year, here are my favourites from each month of Single In challenges, so there are twelve

January (HD DA 35mm macro limited)

February (01 Standard Prime on the Q7)

March (06 Telephoto Zoom on the Q7)

April (Helios 44-2 on the K-01)

June (DA*300 + HD DA 1.4xRC on the Q: hand held and uncropped)

July (A50/1.2 on the K-3)

August (Sigma EX DG 70-200/2.8 II HSM on the K-3)

September (DFA100WR on the K-3)

October (SMC DA21 ion the K-3)

November (SMC DA15 on the K-3)

December (K135/2.5 on the K-3)

and December again (FA*24 on the K-S1)

01-03-2015, 12:16 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
I didn't do a whole lot of shooting the first half of the year...just documentary stuff of repairs I was making to stereo equipment. But, a couple layovers gave me some material and we took a vacation to Hawaii. Here's some that i have up on flickr for easy posting, but there are probably others from Hawaii that could go here and just haven't been uploaded anywhere.
I like them.
What are those squiggly lines? The third picture from the top.
01-03-2015, 01:24 AM - 6 Likes   #26

Thanks for this thread and thanks for sharing your photos! I'm also wondering what these squiggly lines are... Reminds me of silk ??
It's been fun going back through my photos and reminiscing the things I've done in 2014.

10. Exploring Devon back in July (Pentax K-x + Tamron 70-300mm)

9. Finally seeing the Mont Blanc (Pentax K-x + Tamron 10-24mm)

8. Cleaning up the shed behind the house and meeting this little fella (Pentax K-x + Tamron AF 70-300mm)

7. Running after British sheep along the southern coast (Pentax K-x + Tamron AF 70-300mm)

6. Visiting Croatia (Pentax K-x + Pentax DA 18-55mm)

5. Going to a gig in a very cool vinyl shop in Paris (and snapping this photo of the band before it started!) (Pentax K-x + Pentax DA 18-55mm)

4. Spying on big cats for a whole day (Pentax K-x + Tamron AF 70-300mm)

3. (Pentax K-x + Tamron AF 70-300mm)

2. (Pentax K-x + Tamron AF 70-300mm)

1. And towards the end of the year, starting to take self portraits again. (Pentax K-x + Pentax 50mm macro)
01-03-2015, 07:23 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I like them.
What are those squiggly lines? The third picture from the top.
It was a metallized or holographic panel on the front of a cabinet door in a hotel room. Lighting from the side and then contrast boosts brought out apparent, yet not real, depth.
01-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by parang0n Quote
Thanks for this thread and thanks for sharing your photos! I'm also wondering what these squiggly lines are... Reminds me of silk ?? It's been fun going back through my photos and reminiscing the things I've done in 2014.
I really like the bokeh you get out of your Tamron 70-300
01-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I really like the bokeh you get out of your Tamron 70-300
Thanks, I was pleasantly surprised with this lens! Got it as a replacement for the 50-200 kit lens and I've found myself using it quite a lot this past year - especially because of its macro switch. It's not as good as a proper macro lens, of course, but still very useful when you don't want to walk around with too many lenses. (And as you said, it can create very nice bokeh!)
01-05-2015, 06:54 AM - 6 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Loads of inspirational stuff around here! My more modest 10-which I discovered is a rather pointlessly limiting number .

Last edited by noelcmn; 01-05-2015 at 07:12 AM.