Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 08:05 PM - 15 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Favorite Ten Photos of 2014

Dane Dawg (I think) had a photo thread last year that entailed posting your favorite (or best, or whatever criteria want to choose) ten photos from the preceding year. I really enjoyed the thread and the process of choosing ten photos from the preceding year.

I shoot landscapes for the most part (well, and photos of my kids) and so that is what I will share here, but I hope others feel free to share their favorites, whatever genre they might fall into. Two are from trips my family made to Utah and the Smokies, but the rest are from my home area of Southern Indiana, such as it is.

Looking forward to the photos you all share.

12-29-2014, 08:36 PM - 9 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Great series Rondec. These are amazing landscapes.

Here are a few of mine from 2014 that I like.

Golden Gate Bridge at dusk
by RonakG, on Flickr

Lake Tahoe Sunset
by RonakG, on Flickr

Lone Cypress
by RonakG, on Flickr

A brewing Storm
by RonakG, on Flickr

San Francisco Skyline & Bay Bridge
by RonakG, on Flickr

A humpback whale jumping in air with joy...
by RonakG, on Flickr

Magical Sunset
by RonakG, on Flickr
12-29-2014, 10:59 PM - 7 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

2014 would be best described by me as "Year With a Busted Camera" - I was pretty much forced to shoot wide open (or close to it) for the duration because of sensor damage on the camera incurred by my toddler last year. The camera finally bit the dust entirely last month.

That said, I don't think I'd trade that year in for anything, because it was an incredible learning experience on how to shoot things in ways that logic would dictate you shouldn't do. Wide open landscapes immediately spring to mind.

Anyway, here are my top 10 12 (apparently, I can't count - J), or at least my top ten just at this moment. I may have a Canon point and shoot shot sneak in for when I didn't have the mangled K-30 with me.

Here they are, in order of newest first (so I can just backtrack through my flickr stream).

Had the Powershot on hand for this - my K-30 was very much dead by the time this guy showed up unexpectedly.

Went for the stereotype here. The skies were amazing, I just wound up getting photobombed by a lighthouse shooting them. Again, Powershot shot, as the DSLR was kaput. Its two shots, but I think of them as a set.

We had an abstract challenge one day in the Single In I was participating in with my Sears 28mm, and I wound up with this shot. Very uncooperative birds - I ran into the flock expecting them all to take off in a glorious burst - instead they simply ran away from me or would fly like 5 feet and land again and commence running. This took a lot more work then expected.

HDR'ed river shot. This was kind of special because with the sensor damage wide blue skies usually looked like hell. In this case I was able to minimize it pretty well.

I don't usually do street shooting, but every now and then something presents itself that you can't help NOT shooting.

Playing with the O-GPS1, and discovering that I was getting some of my best shots ever from the unit using a rock and my hat as a makeshift tripod. Go figure.

BUBBLES!

We have a biit of a family traditionw here we attend the balloon festival down in Lewiston every year. I'm not about to argue with doing so, as it lets me get shots like this.

This shot took a lot of post to get halfway decent (backlit, so the ducks were solid shadows), but I think the end result worked for me. I also almost dropped the K-30 with my Sigma 10-20 on it into the drink in the process.

I was aiming for a post card effect, and the 'middle' version en route to doing so actually struck me as the better effect.

I set out to take some shots around town with a deliberate noir-ish feel to them, and this was probably the best shot of the lot.

Fog + f/1.4 = fun times.

Honorable mention, as these two shots blew up on Flickr, though they weren't personal favorites of mine:

12-29-2014, 11:18 PM - 7 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are mine in no particular order. Settling on my ten fav was a difficult task. I feel like I could to a top five or top twenty much easier. Enjoy.

12-30-2014, 03:35 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
Great series Rondec. These are amazing landscapes.

Here are a few of mine from 2014 that I like.
Beautiful photos. I really like the first and third, but they're all great.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
2014 would be best described by me as "Year With a Busted Camera" - I was pretty much forced to shoot wide open (or close to it) for the duration because of sensor damage on the camera incurred by my toddler last year. The camera finally bit the dust entirely last month.

That said, I don't think I'd trade that year in for anything, because it was an incredible learning experience on how to shoot things in ways that logic would dictate you shouldn't do. Wide open landscapes immediately spring to mind.

Anyway, here are my top 10 12 (apparently, I can't count - J), or at least my top ten just at this moment. I may have a Canon point and shoot shot sneak in for when I didn't have the mangled K-30 with me.
Sounds like a tough situation that you made the best of. I really like the balloons, the ducks and the park bench photos.

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Here are mine in no particular order. Settling on my ten fav was a difficult task. I feel like I could to a top five or top twenty much easier. Enjoy.
Yes, ten is a tough number, but I guess living in a society where most folks have ten fingers (and ten toes), top ten lists do abound...

I really like your black and white photos. They stand out, particularly the path and the rocky crevice.
12-30-2014, 06:24 AM - 6 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Variety

As my 2014. was a year of expanding photography hobby, both financially and in time devoted, stuff I shot was all over the place in what, how & with what I shot.

Also, best is relative term. Technically? Composition-wise? Personal favorite? Not really sure myself; I just know I don't share the popular sentiment.

So here goes somewhat arbitrary selection with random thoughts attached. Numbers provided for dramatic purpose only.

This shot from the backyard of H10 hotel in Berlin is personally most pleasing one from Architectural details phase I went through early on with new gear.

At the same time I was in love with Tamron 70-200 for its sharpness and color rendering. From my Wildlife* phase I have lots of unremarkable snaps from various zoos & parks (that I have to delete eventually) and a couple of keepers like this one from Berlin Zoo.

* - for relatively small values of 'Wild'

One of the few landscape/architecture shots from Krakow I'm not disappointed with. Is it me, or the lens, or what, but I seem rather unable to capture the feeling of spaces I visit.

My lack of talent/ambition/appreciation for landscapes didn't really bother me as much as I thought it would. I rarely even try anymore. I like this one, though (if it even qualifies for a landscape) ; Aphrodite's Rock Beach, Cyprus.

Instead I prefer to focus on tighter spaces, like this treehouse detail in Sanssouci park, Potsdam. Could have chosen better settings, but I like the composition.

I take a snap of a flower occasionally, with full acknowledgement that flower/macro stuff is not my thing. I like the way the second rose blends with the wall in this shot.

Nothing wrong with flowers as decoration, though. I find most pleasure in taking photos of people, particularly spontaneous photos; capturing their expressions, emotional states, poses.

I also love night photography; maybe because everything looks different, sometimes even magical.

The main reason (or excuse) I got new gear was taking photos of my children in conditions like in the following two photos. Those are very challenging as I am under pressure from everyone and everything to deliver photos that are not completely useless and at the same time not disturb the performers/audience/pro photo-video crew. They are also the greatest source of satisfaction, both because of my family's excitement with the results and my own feeling of achievement.
Both photos show in a single frame, IMHO, the essence of the dance performed.

Finally, my favorite photo of 2014. captured using dirt-cheap M50/1.7
I could argue the technical merits of it; the sharpness, the lighting, the composition, but it doesn't really matter as the reason I love it is very personal; it looks so alive and brings me back to place and moment where I took it.
This feeling of real, intimate value of a photo (or two) I took makes me very happy for choosing photography as a hobby and thankful that all this magic is available here and now. It's truly a humbling experience.

12-30-2014, 07:59 AM - 9 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great idea Rondec. Always love these "Year in Review" Posts, and a fantastic series it's started out to be already. Great posts, all!

For me, I transitioned--rather abruptly--from travel and landscape (oh, how I miss you Europe) to portraiture and actually earning some money with my gear, something I have never done before. And I think I've upped my product photography game for you guys

Additionally, on-location lighting has been a wonderful experience, and I think I'm getting it. Next stop - lit Brenizers (haven't tried yet).

First, three landscapes (all from Scotland):

1) Jenny and I overlooking Edinburgh. Took awhile to get this image because the tourist that I asked to snap our picture kept centering us in the frame. "I'm going to run up the hill and join her - see where she is now while I'm holding the camera? Please put it the same way so we are at the top right." <Run up, wait 30 secs, run down.> "Ahem...Not to be ungrateful, but can we try that again?" I appreciate her patience as it took 4 tries, and I'm sure I was coming off as quite the snob, but oh well - it's now hanging on our wall in a massive frame over our mantle

K-3 + DA* 16-50
Name:  IMGP1230 - SMALL - Copy.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  506.2 KB

2) A valley between two of the many abrupt mountains in Glencoe, Scotland. It was pointed out later by a friend that in the lower left hand corner there was a small toy dog, which would obviously had to have been left there by a previous visitor. This was completely unbeknownst to me at the time of shooting.

K-3 + DA 10-17 Fisheye Zoom

Name:  IMGP8904 - SMALL - Copy.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  446.5 KB

3) While in Oban, Scotland, a couple overlooks the incoming storm across the bay.

K-3 + DA* 16-50

Name:  IMGP9040 - SMALL - Copy.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  267.6 KB

4) During my training exercise with the Finnish Army, I snapped what I would consider the most "iconic" image of the entire trip. I love the simplicity of it, dubbed "Solitude."

K-5 IIs + DA 18-135 WR

Name:  IMGP7494 - SMALL.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  224.2 KB

5) A product shot from the DA 18-135 WR in-depth review here that I am extremely proud of. This specific image required 3 lights and about 3 hours of on-and-off hosing because I couldn't get the lighting right lol. The entire BTS post (20+ images) can be found here.

K-5 IIs + DFA 100mm Macro WR

Name:  IMGP9541.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  370.2 KB

6) Another product shot, and my most proud one to date. A composite of 5 images (one for the box and one for each lens piece) showing the "explosion" midair above the box. The intent was to have the light emanating from the inside of the box. I owe a BTS post of how it was created.

K-3 + DA* 16-50

Name:  Final - Copy.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  131.4 KB

7) This was actually the very first portrait session that I did with off-camera flash while on-location. The first one. And I'm very proud of the results. This little girl was showing off her dirndl that her father sent her while he was stationed in Germany. I can't get over how she just pops out of the background.

K-3 + FA 77 Limited

Name:  IMGP0198 - Copy.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  151.8 KB

8) One of the biggest focuses in photography today is sharpness. Can you see the most minute of details? I even have the habit of tossing photos if they are even slightly out of focus, something which Jenny hates when it results in a lot of our family photos being deleted (what, I'm a perfectionist). This image is from the same shoot as above, and it was entirely accidental. Normally such an out of focus shot would be immediately culled from the herd. But I couldn't help but fall in love with how ethereal it made her look, wandering off into the light. A friend made the comment how it was like little Gretel making her way to grandma's house.

K-3 + DA* 55

9) Another first for me - my very very first (and so far only) newborn shoot. I can't get over how this image turned out. I dubbed it "Curiosity."

K-3 + DA* 55 (@ f/1.4)

Name:  IMGP0969-Edit.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  98.3 KB

10) The most recent portrait session I did (again with off-camera flash), and this one was a bit more brazen. They wanted something different, so Jennifer said "Why don't we put our living room sofa in the woods and decorate the trees with Christmas ornaments?" So that's what we did The original intent was supposed to have the trees backlit by the setting sun, but unfortunately 10 min before we started shooting rainclouds came in and ruined all the nice bokeh I was expecting (as in the shots with the little girl). Still made it work, I think

K-3 + DA* 55

Name:  IMGP0196-Edit.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  408.6 KB

I'd like to believe that I've grown substantially as a photographer, and I'm excited to see what 2015 brings

For the rest of you lurkers, let's make this grow to 1000+ images. We surely have the manpower for that here

-Heie

Edit to Add: I wanted to share this post on my Alex Jansen Photography Facebook page, so I made the following "ad" :

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  195.2 KB

Last edited by Heie; 12-30-2014 at 08:46 AM.
12-30-2014, 09:04 AM - 8 Likes   #8
Forum Member

It was a great year shooting with the K3

Last edited by bodson; 04-20-2017 at 05:33 AM.
12-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
As my 2014. was a year of expanding photography hobby, both financially and in time devoted, stuff I shot was all over the place in what, how & with what I shot.

Also, best is relative term. Technically? Composition-wise? Personal favorite? Not really sure myself; I just know I don't share the popular sentiment.

So here goes somewhat arbitrary selection with random thoughts attached. Numbers provided for dramatic purpose only.
Thank you for sharing! There are some great photos there. I definitely think that kids are reason that I got into photography, but once I got bitten by the photography bug, I couldn't stop.

---------- Post added 12-30-14 at 05:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bodson Quote
It was a great year shooting with the K3
Thanks for sharing your contribution in the thread. I like the snow photos and the cabin photo as well.

---------- Post added 12-30-14 at 05:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Great idea Rondec. Always love these "Year in Review" Posts, and a fantastic series it's started out to be already. Great posts, all!

For me, I transitioned--rather abruptly--from travel and landscape (oh, how I miss you Europe) to portraiture and actually earning some money with my gear, something I have never done before. And I think I've upped my product photography game for you guys

Additionally, on-location lighting has been a wonderful experience, and I think I'm getting it. Next stop - lit Brenizers (haven't tried yet).

I'd like to believe that I've grown substantially as a photographer, and I'm excited to see what 2015 brings

For the rest of you lurkers, let's make this grow to 1000+ images. We surely have the manpower for that here

-Heie

Edit to Add: I wanted to share this post on my Alex Jansen Photography Facebook page, so I made the following "ad" :

Attachment 251412
Thank you for sharing, Alex. I have always appreciated you photos from different parts of the world that I haven't visited (and may never visit), but your skill has definitely branched out in a variety of directions -- all of them good. I am looking forward to 2015 and the contributions that you bring to the forum (as Jenny allows you).
12-30-2014, 06:28 PM - 4 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Some very nice ones up already!

The Berlin wall, on Wilshire Blvd.

Incredibly-detailed Nepalese art. I wanted to show the size of the work so I stuck my fingers in there - and no I did not touch it.

Solar telescope at Mt Kitt observatory SW of Tucson, Arizona. A bit chilly and windy at this elevation.

Neon sign museum in Las Vegas, Nevada. Advance online reservations recommended. The 12-24 is the perfect lens here. The sign is actually LED's...

Bob Feller fast-ball. Part of a big baseball exhibit at the Ronald Reagan museum.

Chalk art in Carlsbad.

Patriots at Miramar.

Ferraris on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.

Dia de los muertos at Hollywood Forever cemetery. It was packed.
Artwork.

A participant. Visitors could get (slightly simpler) face-paintings, too.

Bonus coverage with a Canon P&S. Not only did I use a conveniently-small Canon P&S on the Titan missile museum tour, I used it at the Elton John concert at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. Non-flash photography, no video, was perfectly OK. This was during "Empty Garden (Hey, Johnny)" . Rather elaborate and ever-changing big screen, and piano.

This was the second EJ concert I saw here in 7 months. First time was 5th row, right of center. This (with better planning) was 3rd row, left of center.

The first time I went, the ticket website said "absolutely" no photography, so I did not even bring my cell-phone. As the usher was seating us, she said "non-flash photography is fine, no video"... Argh!

So, this second time I was prepared - especially for the "come up on stage" gesture from Elton at the beginning of "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting". The whole front center section went up on stage to the back of the piano. I positioned myself here and took a couple stills while I was figuring out the video mode...I was sort of waiting for the hook around my neck for taking video, but all was fine :-)

A compressed version
of the movie
is here...
8 Elton John by SpecialK

Last edited by SpecialK; 01-01-2015 at 12:51 PM.
12-30-2014, 09:34 PM - 7 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

It has been a great thread so far, and 2014 was a great year for me too.
Here are my 10 favorite shots
The most recent one with K-3 and DA15

A stitch of 4 shots with DA35ltd

One of my best dragonfly shots, with DFA100macroWR

Another stitch with DA55-300 8 shots @ 55mm

Macro with DA35ltd

I've been learning and loving macro photography this year.

Another very recent black and white shot, that I liked myself. (DA15)

A macro with DA50 and Raynox DCR-150

One of my best insect shots because of the subject matter, shot with M135/3.5 and Raynox DCR-150

Another black and white shot with DA15

And last but not least macro with DFA100WR right after rain.

---------- Post added 12-31-14 at 12:35 PM ----------

See you in 2015

Last edited by mtux; 12-30-2014 at 09:42 PM.
12-31-2014, 03:04 PM - 8 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

2014: Best of the K-01 Shots

During the Black Friday sales, I cracked and got a K-3. Shortly thereafter, my wife and I spent one week in Mexico, and I shot about 1,500 frames with my new body. But as I am still digesting (and post-processing) those, I wanted to give a nod to my trustworthy K-01s, so here are my 10 favorite K-01 shots of 2014, in roughly increasing order of preference. Unsurprisingly, since that is what I enjoy shooting most, all of them a macros.

\

Last edited by Doundounba; 12-31-2014 at 03:11 PM.
01-01-2015, 03:34 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
It has been a great thread so far, and 2014 was a great year for me too.
Here are my 10 favorite shots

[/COLOR]See you in 2015
Great shots! Looked forward to your photos in 2015, as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
During the Black Friday sales, I cracked and got a K-3. Shortly thereafter, my wife and I spent one week in Mexico, and I shot about 1,500 frames with my new body. But as I am still digesting (and post-processing) those, I wanted to give a nod to my trustworthy K-01s, so here are my 10 favorite K-01 shots of 2014, in roughly increasing order of preference. Unsurprisingly, since that is what I enjoy shooting most, all of them a macros.
Nice macro work and nice to show a little love for the K-01, a very under-appreciated camera, in my opinion. Thank you for sharing.
01-01-2015, 08:13 AM - 7 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great idea Rondec. For me 2014 was my second year of photography (I started somewhere in May 2013). At the beginning I wanted to shoot landscapes only but somehow things deviated from the plan. Choosing ten favorites was pretty easy as I'm not satisfied with most of my photos but oh well. For the next year I plan to travel more since laziness is a big enemy of this hobby in my opinion. Happy New Year everybody !!

01-01-2015, 11:43 AM - 6 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Cool thread full of lots of wonderful shots!

2014 pretty much marks a little over 2 years with Pentax as my brand of choice. For the majority of 2013 I mostly focused on learning the gear, getting better at post processing, and still life photography. For 2014 I made a concerted effort to photograph more people and to get better at it. Since that was my main goal for 2014 I decided to share my favorite shots of people for this thread.

As I am looking to continue to grow and improve any type of feedback is always welcome and appreciated.