sounds like a plan!
02-02-2015, 03:07 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
sounds like a plan!
Take it down to your friendly auto repair shop; it should be a breeze for them.

And yes Amazon have a great range of tools for all sorts of jobs and the majority of their suppliers still ship here.
02-02-2015, 04:49 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
oh ok. interesting. i don't think amazon ships to australia? *not sure*

might go and look on ebay.

have you had lots of success with the strap wrench?

fyi this is what the lens looks like.

Strap wrenches are usually available at auto store, for removing oil filters.

A pipe wrench would open wide enough as well, pliers would not, but if you grip the ring's threads with pliers in the spot to the clockwise side of where the dent is, that should give you enough grip to allow you to turn the filter anticlockwise and remove it. I've done this with dented rings in the past

02-02-2015, 05:48 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Bring it over to Adelaide Susanna. I'll get the bugger off
lmao! What a macho man!

I think the mechanic would be a good place to start, if you know someone/have a friend. Putting myself in your shoes, and since my dad (who could fix anything) has passed away, I'd take it to an old sculpture professor of mine who has experience with metal construction and access to a shop full of tools. And since he's an artist, I would be confident he has a gentle enough touch to not mangle the lens. Do you have any connections? It's all about who you know. ;-)

At the very least, I'd be knocking the glass out of the filter for sure!
02-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Wrap some rubber bands around the filter, then place it in the lip of a counter drawer, and close it (on the filter only) and try giving it a twist. The issue here is grip, so that could work to free it up.
02-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #112
Pentaxian

These filters can be PITA sometimes. I have come upon a situation where I hot filter stuck. I have strenght, but it does not really help since you dont want to break anything. Not the least your fingers(I'm puppeteer after all). What sagitta said could work be careful to not squees it too hard to not have a oval ring. Other thing is to try to have crc or similar(oily stuff) very little at there in between. Or try to carefully knock that filter outsides with plastick stick small movements and rapidly. Sometimes it could loosen it. Carefully!

---------- Post added 02-02-15 at 17:40 ----------

Uuh, after seeing picture, it definetly is allready little oval,filter. Little rapid movements with stick might do it. Badthingwith rotating that filter rind it could unloose also top of the lens. Then you have 2 things to worry. Also if you could knock with stick on top of filter in counter clockwice dir. On those tooths on filter, it could help it. When these stick on each other it cannot be brutally opened. Little by little.

02-02-2015, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #113
Veteran Member

Not elegant, but since the filter is already ruined, I'd try breaking the filter glass and just keep using pliers to bend the glass-less filter ring inwards to release it from the threads to a point where you can just lift it out.
02-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Not elegant, but since the filter is already ruined, I'd try breaking the filter glass and just keep using pliers to bend the glass-less filter ring inwards to release it from the threads to a point where you can just lift it out.
Yup. That was my "last resort" suggestion. I agree this is an option that may be the best ultimately.
02-02-2015, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in! I will shoot one month with the PCS Arsat H 35mm F2.8, a shift lens!
02-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

one day late, but I am in as well with the tamron 105mm
02-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #117
Veteran Member

I'm in starting tomorrow, barring any more UPS shenanigans.

It should prove interesting as I'll be learning the new camera as much as whatever lens I decide upon.
02-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
And yes Amazon have a great range of tools for all sorts of jobs and the majority of their suppliers still ship here.
Interesting. And probably very bad for my wallet..

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
A pipe wrench would open wide enough as well, pliers would not, but if you grip the ring's threads with pliers in the spot to the clockwise side of where the dent is, that should give you enough grip to allow you to turn the filter anticlockwise and remove it. I've done this with dented rings in the past
..a pipe wrench? Is that like a spanner? *clueless*

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Do you have any connections? It's all about who you know. ;-)
Hrmm.. I could ask my neighbour, but I don't see him often. Might keep that card in my pocket for a bit and see. Or I guess there's always wolfieboy.... *gulp* Darling, could you help me unstick this please? What?! Another lens?! Where did this one come from?!?

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
These filters can be PITA sometimes....Other thing is to try to have crc or similar(oily stuff) very little at there in between. Or try to carefully knock that filter outsides with plastick stick small movements and rapidly. Sometimes it could loosen it.
I think that filter may have actually saved the lens - esp if I can eventually wrench this thing off. I think I did try to oil it at one stage to try and loosen the filter ring from the top, but it didn't work.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Will see how I go. No plans to go out today, but will be in town on Thursday, so will try all the ones I can with the tools I have on hand first.
02-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pipe wrenches are neat - they are like pliers but they have a set of jaws that open and close more like a crescent wrench. Then they have teeth like pliers and they pivot in a way that tightens their grip on a rounded surface. They will damage the filter ring but they will likely make it submit to your will.

Here's a picture:

02-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #120
Veteran Member

thanks! we def don't have one of those. but it sounds promising!