Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PP Challenge 135 WINNERS!!!

I want to thank everyone who submitted an entry for this round of the challenge. There were many excellent submissions and selecting a host for the next round certainly was not easy. Many were worthy of being selected, but I have to select one. As always this process is very subjective to the personal preferences of the host.

First a couple of honorable mentions.

D1N0 - You definitely receive the best in humor while demonstrating superior post processing skills award. Your twist on "Cathedral" Rock gave me a good chuckle. The shadows on the "cathedral" are even correct for the image. Well done!

todd - What can I say? If I were selecting a winner strictly on the demonstration of post processing skills, it would be you. I don't even have any idea how you did this.

And now for the finalists:

Third place goes to atupdate. Tim your image was the most true to life version. Good balance of color, contrast and clarity. Is it very much worthy of the frame you place it in. Well done!

The much coveted and sought after Second Place Award (because you don't have to judge the next round ) goes to Arizona Dave. There were several very good B&W entries, but I think you nailed the exposure and contrast. Excellent detail. The clouds almost look 3D. Excellent use of HDR!

AND THE WINNER IS.......

j2photos!!!

I am not normally a fan of sepia, but it works well here. It was a good choice to compliment the aging turn of the century structures. The border accents it well and you maintained good detail especially in the clouds. All three of your images were good, but this one wins it for you. You get to host the next round. Congratulations!!!

02-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations @j2photos Nice old look. It was a nice pic to work on Glenn, especially because there were 3 of them. The Cathedral in de pic is the Wells Cathedral Wells Cathedral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (because it came up high in Google image search .)
02-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Congratulations to j2photos for a well processed entry. Thanks for providing a great image to work on Glenn. I loved the depth of the image and would be proud of the capture if it was mine.

Tim
02-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done j2! And thank you Glenn for hosting and a fine image to work from.
Todd and D1N0, those are great examples of PP skill!

02-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn5995 Quote
I don't even have any idea how you did this.
It's not hard or I couldn't do it lol... It was all done in gimp and was just a matter of duplicating the image to move the two main objects using layers, scaling and masking, then merging the two images back together in layers, then more masking... The hardest part (because it's a bit time consuming) is doing enough of the edge masking to have the edges not be too distracting.. I should have spent more time picking a foreground that would match the rest of the scene color-wise, but I was burned out by then and went with the first thing I could find that fit what I was envisioning (a canyon)...

Congrats winners! It really was a treat to work with this image. Thanks for hosting Glenn!
02-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks folks!

Being that this is only my second time participating in this, how do we do it? Do I just select one of my images unedited and post for the next round?
02-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
PM'd instructions

02-02-2015, 11:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks Glenn for the 2nd place nod and for hosting a fun round. I'm looking forwards to more PP challenges.
02-03-2015, 04:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Nice job j2photos, congratulations for winning!
Congratulation also to all who get on the winners podium, or just participated
Thank you Glenn for hosting this challenge and for your photo to work from.