Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2015, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Hmmmm, looks like synthetich fibers or hair. Could be some kind of woven fabric, but I am not at all sure.

"In return", here's something found in the kitchen, manipulated just a little bit and the photographed close-up with my DFA 100mm lens...
Let's see, are those melted sugar crystals, dried out? Mine was bubble wrap which I got from B&H when I bought my K-5IIs. Nice heavy-duty bubble wrap with one-inch "bubbles." Here's the same thing but with the polarizer rotated 90 degrees:

02-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Let's see, are those melted sugar crystals, dried out?
Pretty close - they were tataric acid powder dissolved in hot water; some drops placed on a slide glass were then dried out on the radiator.

And now something quite different out of my store of older photgadgets - the front plate of my 'Agfa Gucki' slide viewer, which was an indispesable tool in the good old days, when I was shooting slide film.

With this gadget and its spherical surface, even tiny movements of the polarizing filter constantly change patterns and colours.
02-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Has anyone tried this with a variable ND filter in the mix? They're essentially just two polarizers sandwiched together, anyhow.
02-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Has anyone tried this with a variable ND filter in the mix? They're essentially just two polarizers sandwiched together, anyhow.
I've not tried using any kind of ND filter (I only own a .9 but covet a really dark one). We should give it a try.

02-24-2015, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I gave it a try with my ND 0.9 filter and with a circular polarizer. Though I could see faint birefringent colors through the viewfinder when using the ND, they didn't present in the photos I shot. Tried with the polarizer and the colors were striking. Used a filter case for the test. Here are the results:

ND Filter

Polarizing Filter

02-24-2015, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I gave it a try with my ND 0.9 filter and with a circular polarizer. Though I could see faint birefringent colors through the viewfinder when using the ND, they didn't present in the photos I shot. Tried with the polarizer and the colors were striking. Used a filter case for the test. Here are the results:

ND Filter

Polarizing Filter
Thats a normal ND filter.

Variable polarizers are made with two CPL's mounted together. When you rotate one of the CPLs, it acts like a ND and will get darker and darker until you hit the equivalent of an ND400.

If you have two CPLs and hold them together and turn one, you'll see them effectively dampen any light coming through.

I just checked with the cracked ND I received the other day - you can see the rainbow effect to a small extent through both a pyrex measuring cup (mostly the handle) and a plastic Pepsi bottle.

I then grabbed the CPL (same brand - I suspect the ND is two of those same CPLs mounted against one another) I picked up at the same time and the effect was MUCH stronger.
02-24-2015, 08:13 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thats a normal ND filter.

Variable polarizers are made with two CPL's mounted together. When you rotate one of the CPLs, it acts like a ND and will get darker and darker until you hit the equivalent of an ND400.

If you have two CPLs and hold them together and turn one, you'll see them effectively dampen any light coming through.

I just checked with the cracked ND I received the other day - you can see the rainbow effect to a small extent through both a pyrex measuring cup (mostly the handle) and a plastic Pepsi bottle.

I then grabbed the CPL (same brand - I suspect the ND is two of those same CPLs mounted against one another) I picked up at the same time and the effect was MUCH stronger.
Ahhhhh! Thanks for this explanation. Will have to try the effect with the CPLs I have for long exposure shots. Unfortunately, only one is 77mm (the other is 52mm), so I can't use my UWA.

03-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cross posted with the P52 contest...

Brushing Your Teeth is Skull Drudgery

03-07-2015, 08:28 PM - 3 Likes   #24

Hello all. I spent January and February accumulating images and working on technique before I created a website to display my work. A lot of pain out in the cold garage. I prefer to work w/o gloves. Same thing when photographing snowflakes.

Instructions of how I did to take these types of pictures can be found at my new website. There is also a gallery of cell phone images that were recorded on my cell phone. In that case I used the polarizing filters popped out of a single pair of Real 3D glasses. Then there is a gallery of my SLR stuff using quality filters. --> F 16 - Photography by Tom Wagner - Colors in Ice!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
03-07-2015, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Iowa Tom Quote
Hello all. I spent January and February accumulating images and working on technique before I created a website to display my work. A lot of pain out in the cold garage. I prefer to work w/o gloves. Same thing when photographing snowflakes.

Instructions of how I did to take these types of pictures can be found at my new website. There is also a gallery of cell phone images that were recorded on my cell phone. In that case I used the polarizing filters popped out of a single pair of Real 3D glasses. Then there is a gallery of my SLR stuff using quality filters. --> F 16 - Photography by Tom Wagner - Colors in Ice!
Nice abstract!
03-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tom, what wonderful photos. I love ice (water in general), but had no idea you could get such terrific birefringence from it. Well done. Thanks for the website link.
04-22-2016, 12:10 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I haven't done anything with photoelasticity birefringence in a long while, but when playing around with possibilities for one of the Project 52 challenges (Perspectives - Framed), I shot this with my plastic-framed eyeglasses focusing on the thread title.

Contest Framed Pentax K-5IIs, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6 @ 14mm with polarizing filter, f5.6, 1/15s, ISO 400, handheld, only PP was cropping.