Day 44:

My name is Jonas,
and I'm carrying the wheel

09-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #992
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Morbo Quote
Day 38
That about sums up my experience with ATV's... 8^)
09-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #993
Veteran Member

Day 43 is outstanding!
09-14-2010, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #994
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Day 45

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do

09-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #995
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sorry for no updates. it's been a hectic week.
here's the catchup:

Day 46:

The captain's grin quickly turned to panic as the boat rounded the corner.

Day 47:

Day 48:

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
09-18-2010, 01:40 AM   #996
Veteran Member

These latest (as with the others) are really ingenious. Have you told the LEGO people?
09-18-2010, 03:17 AM   #997
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

watching

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
These latest (as with the others) are really ingenious. Have you told the LEGO people?
you can be sure they will be watching

09-18-2010, 03:57 AM   #998
emr

I like. In addition to the brilliant ideas, what I notice in the latest pictures like the waterfall is how clean noise-wise the pictures are. Low ISO, tripod etc. I assume. Did you apply some noise reduction? The plastic-like faces suggest that. :P
09-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #999
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
you can be sure they will be watching
Well, I contacted their legal department because I wanted to sell prints, and create a photobook to sell, becasue there were MANY interested parties/people in both.

In retrospect, it was a incredibly STUPID idea. I should have just gone ahead and starting selling prints. Lots of other people do online. I should have just done it, and begged forgiveness if they were not happy with it - but there's lots of people doing it and still doing it.
BUT
here's the response I got from LEGO: 2010 June 07 a LEGO a day
(read it, its hilarious)
it's obviously a bullshit canned response, and clearly they're missing on free advertising for themselves, but now I'm backed in a corner, and they probably ARE watching. So, i'm screwed.

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I like. In addition to the brilliant ideas, what I notice in the latest pictures like the waterfall is how clean noise-wise the pictures are. Low ISO, tripod etc. I assume. Did you apply some noise reduction? The plastic-like faces suggest that. :P
no tripod. hand held. ISO 200 probably (I keep it on auto a lot). I do have a noise-reduction filter i use with photoshop, but I don't use it often, only when sharpening makes it really noisy - or it's a low light photo that needs it. Their heads are smooth to begin with, so sometimes its just natural like that.
09-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #1000
Veteran Member

Well, I contacted their legal department
it's obviously a bullshit canned response, and clearly they're missing on free advertising for themselves, but now I'm backed in a corner, and they probably ARE watching. So, i'm screwed.
Oh good, the brand is secure. How Disney! If it's any consolation:
1. I've spoken with advertising people who say that Lego is no fun at all to work with, a client they walked away from because they found themselves dealing with too many faceless suits. Apparently LEGO couldn't understand their pitch, which for some reason was aimed at the kid's imagination angle.
2. Lego likes to launch lawsuits, they've been battling with a Canadian firm called Megablox for decades. And yet they've never quashed their rival.
3. You can go to certain streets in Kowloon and find well-made third-party clone toy systems with:
+ innovative pieces
+ better set designs
+ prices @ 1/10 the real thing (or lower)
These sets actually point out how unimaginative and profit-focused LEGO has become as a company.
4. I used their kit design software to create some designs, but LEGO simply ships a box full of parts when you order a set. No instructions! I sent a set to my brother, who's played with LEGO since the age of six, couldn't sort out the kit I sent. Needless to say, I never ordered the sets I made for my young nephews.

In short, LEGO the company is not too bright. Unlike the toy.
09-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #1001
m8o
Veteran Member

You should still just do it!
I'm happy to see them reaping a little of what they sow (of sorts).
Lego Hits Trademark Brick Wall
09-19-2010, 07:48 AM   #1002
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i may write them back, with my rebuttle. see what it brings.
09-19-2010, 07:53 AM   #1003
Veteran Member

i may write them back, with my rebuttle. see what it brings.
I think m80's got the right approach. Let the LEGO legal team go back to harassing their competitors and just get a book together that showcases your brilliant work.

Imagine Ford trying to stop someone promoting their products by showing their cars in interesting situations. This is stupidity on LEGO's behalf and the more I think about it the more it seems like a cover-your-ass thing.
09-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #1004
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I contacted their legal department because I wanted to sell prints, and create a photobook to sell, becasue there were MANY interested parties/people in both.

In retrospect, it was a incredibly STUPID idea. I should have just gone ahead and starting selling prints. Lots of other people do online. I should have just done it, and begged forgiveness if they were not happy with it - but there's lots of people doing it and still doing it.
BUT
here's the response I got from LEGO: 2010 June 07 a LEGO a day
(read it, its hilarious)
So ridiculous. While in Toys R Us the other day, i actually suggested Legos to my son who was searching out his treat for doing chores, and it was because I thought back to your blog and the many varied figures you use. Of all the toy companies out there, you figure LEGO would be one that wouldn't take themselves so seriously. Oh well.

And as for you, as usual, the nice guy finishes last. Like you say, a lot of people just go ahead and do it without regard for anyone but themselves. You do the right thing and get the shaft. Typical.

Last edited by DanLoc78; 09-19-2010 at 08:41 AM.
09-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #1005
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Day 49

Day 50

Avast!!
Today be International Talk Like A Pirate Day!
Be sure to toss a few YARRRs around today!
Drink up me hearties yo ho!