Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #901
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
Couldn't he just use the force?
Nah, it turns out Vader's just another whiny Skywalker - When AAA (Alliance AT-ST Association?) got his speeder out, he was all, "I don't believe it", and they were like, "That is why you fail..."

02-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #902
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah... you're still at it!

Thanx for the bump Dan. I hadn't checked your blog since last year and enjoyed seeing your coverage of the LEGO Star Wars Visual Dictionary Release Event.
02-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #903
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
WooHoo - are you starting another 365???
QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
Is this year two?
Sorry, it's not! Annie said if I did another one right now she'd kill me.
Maybe in the future though - well, no maybe - definitely. Even though she said she'd kill me if I started another one right now, she also said she knows I could come up with enough ideas to fill another year!

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Yeah... you're still at it!

Thanx for the bump Dan. I hadn't checked your blog since last year and enjoyed seeing your coverage of the LEGO Star Wars Visual Dictionary Release Event.
Awesome! Glad you liked that. I had a great time covering the event. It was a ton of fun, and met some really awesome people.
I think I'll try to post some things more often now - whether it's my own work, or some other things I find...

...which leads me to this: “I LEGO N.Y.” Book – 3/1/10 a LEGO a day…

It's not mine, but I was contacted by someone at Abrams Books, to ask if I could plug this LEGO book coming out in March. I said sure! haha. So, please check out the blog, and the book too! It drops on March 1st.

Oh, and, if, you know, you wanted to send an email to Abrams books asking them to publish my photobook, well, hey, that'd be swell ;-)
I already, of course, asked the person that emailed me. Whether that person has control or contacts who knows, but hey, worth a shot.

Thanks for checking in folks, I appreciate it!
Until next time.
06-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #904
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got this today:

QuoteQuote:
Dear Dan,

Thank you for your patience in awaiting my reply to the question you raised back in April. I have reviewed the information you sent, have looked at your blog and your photo archives, and now have a better understanding of your project.

LEGOŽ and the LEGOŽ Minifigure are trademarks of the LEGO Group of Companies. Additionally, The LEGO Group is the exclusive worldwide copyright owner for the LEGOŽ Minifigure. Our trademarks and copyrights are valuable assets. We do not allow them to be used in commerce without our express permission, usually in the form of a licensing agreement that may involve the payment of substantial licensing fees. As such, The LEGO Group cannot approve your request to reproduce and sell images featuring the copyrighted LEGO Minifigure, nor to publish and sell a collection of those images in book form. Our Fair Play policy, which you mention having consulted, states at several points that our trademarks and copyrighted materials may be used by our fans for non-commercial purposes only. (See LEGO.com About Us - LEGO Company - Fairplay Policy.)

From time to time The LEGO Group will enter into licensing agreements with outside parties, allowing commercial use of our intellectual properties, but only when the arrangement fits within The LEGO Group's established brand promotion and growth strategy. Unfortunately, we do not have a place in our plans for the projects you propose.

As you may imagine, since LEGOŽ enthusiasts are so creative, we receive hundreds of communications each year from parents, children, and highly creative people such as yourself regarding potential new product ideas, business opportunities, concepts for licensed goods, etc. Many of these are quite good, and we recognize that it is a great compliment when people seek to associate themselves with our company, our brand, and our products. We do, however, have our own brand strategies and product development procedures that have been developed with our long-term objectives in mind. It is our policy that any new products, concepts, ideas or suggestions submitted to us on an unsolicited basis from outside parties are to be directed here to the legal department, where they remain.

Although this position may be difficult to understand, it has been carefully considered by the LEGO Group. The policy is in place because we have invested considerable resources in our own brand strategy and our product development departments.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions about our trademark and copyright policies. For a more detailed explanation of how trademark and copyright laws may affect you in your particular situation, you may wish to consult with legal counsel knowledgeable in the field of intellectual property law.

Thank you for your interest in LEGOŽ products. I wish you success in your future ventures.

With kind regards,

Robert xxxxx
I think my favorite part is how this is considered an "unsolicited product, concept, idea, or suggestion from an outside party." Not really. I just wanted to print photos, guys.

So. The end.
Sadly.

06-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #905
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dan, that's a real bummer! Typical lawyer doublespeak!!

I guess you'll just have to start a new 365 now!!
06-08-2010, 02:50 AM   #906
Veteran Member

Sounds like a standard message they send out to the "hundreds of people with ideas". A shame actually since I found the images heroic and comic, attributes to what I imagined my LEGO figures being when I was playing with them as a child.
On the other hand I can understand that LEGO doesn't want every person with an idea to make money off of their product, even if it might be artistic.

I'm still unsure how they have legal rights to images of products that you have bought from them. I imagine that many photographers use props in their photo's from various brands without copyright infringement or at least the companies don't care that an artist has used their products.
If a movie maker would have a soda can in their movie, I doubt that soda company would sue them, it would just be free publicity.
06-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #907
Veteran Member

The reason it goes to the legal department and stays there is because if next year a book from LEGO comes out, which is basically exactly what you did/would do they can claim they didn't steal your idea because the creative department never sees your idea, ergo, cannot steal it... they are protecting themselves....

I image that they cannot copyright your images... but they can control their copy right, namely 'lego' so if you can do your book, without useing any lego trademarks... whatever those might be such as but not limited to the word lego you would have less trouble... ie if you did a book of different childhood toys... but again you would need to talk to a copyright lawyer in your area....

You cannot blame them... they have spent millions/billions making us love the toy, they do have some right to control how people make money off it...

If you ever did a limited run book I would be willing to chip in for your costs for a copy...

06-10-2010, 05:19 AM   #908
Veteran Member

You really do need to consult a copyright/trademark attorney Dan. I believe there is precedence for publishing your photos as long as you clearly state that the book is not sanctioned by or tied to Lego in any way. Use of them in "parody" would clearly be protected.

Mike
06-10-2010, 05:44 AM   #909
Forum Member

I was having a productive day until I found this thread (a year late!).

Fantastic entertainment!
06-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #910
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sam1989 Quote
I was having a productive day until I found this thread (a year late!).

Fantastic entertainment!

excellent!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I'd love to consult a copyright lawyer, but I don't have the $, and I don't know anyone who knows one of owes me any favors! Sigh. I'll keep my eyes open though.

Also, I'm thinking of starting another 365 come this fall.
06-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #911
Veteran Member

You never run out ideas do you :P
07-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #912
Veteran Member

Original Poster
starting a new LEGO 365 on Aug 1!
a LEGO a day
Stay Tuned!
07-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #913
Veteran Member

Can't wait!
07-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #914
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Morbo Quote
a LEGO a day
Stay Tuned!
Woo Hoo!!
07-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #915
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cant wait

QuoteOriginally posted by Morbo Quote
a LEGO a day
Stay Tuned!
I also cannot wait, cant imagine what's in the pipeline, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Will you start a new thread or continue on this one?

Keef