Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2015, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wow what a file, is this the camera or the lens? i mean wow! i never could pull such detail from my k-5

03-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by quh86 Quote
is this the camera or the lens?
A little from column A, a little from column B. The 31mm at f5.6 is about as sharp as Pentax lenses get. I think that the K-S1 has the best sensor of any Pentax DSLR I've used. It's too bad they jammed it in such an ungainly body. If I could swap my K-3 sensor for the K-S1 sensor, I'd do it without a second thought. It has the absolute perfect pixel density.

Edit: I'll add that, I think, that if Ricoh had given the K-S1 a standard body like the K-r or K-50, it would be the best entry-level DSLR that had ever been made up to that point. In a traditional body, it would be at least as good as the K-3, even lacking a few bells and whistles.

Last edited by K David; 03-20-2015 at 07:57 PM.
03-21-2015, 04:31 AM   #18
Pentaxian

The K-S2 has the same sensor.
03-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The K-S2 has the same sensor.
I didn't know that. Now I'm even more excited to try the K-S2 in the near future.

03-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #20

Here comes the best version!

03-21-2015, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #21

Here comes the best one!

03-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #22
Forum Member

Gradient filters in LR with a few other tweaks.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
03-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by indykpol Quote
Here comes the best one!
I'm still waiting for it to download.
03-21-2015, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

A fine picture! My 'just for fun' version:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
03-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #25

Here is my sunset version. :-)
Attached Images

03-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by quh86 Quote
wow what a file, is this the camera or the lens? i mean wow! i never could pull such detail from my k-5
Probably the skill of the photographer combined with the lens (this appears to be taken with the FA 31).

Didn't do anything special for this, just did what I would normally do:

03-21-2015, 09:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This has been quite the series! I'm really impressed by the quality of editing in this challenge. The challenge is already over in some places and is coming rapidly to a close elsewhere. Get some last-minute entries in and I'll announce the winner in about 24 hours.
03-22-2015, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PP Contest

I'm too late but I guess I'll post it anyway
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
03-22-2015, 06:52 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
good image to work with. heres my attempt.
Maybe it's a good idea for the winner to post a DNG version of the winning picture so everyone can see what settings were used? This way all of us can improve our PP skills a tad further and we can learn from eachother.

I for one would love to see the settings for Schnitzer79's pic...haven't been able to fully replicate it in LR

Thanks!
03-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, this was an excellent challenge. Thank you all to everyone who participated. I was really glad to see the level of interest in this contest and the shot.

More than 2/3 of these images would all be worthy of taking the prize. You guys really rose to the task of editing this image. In the end, this came down to a decision based on really nit-picky details and technical aspects. Your artistic decisions, be they involving a frosty Godzilla, image reflections, blurs, or whether you wanted the trees to look like autumn or summer trees were all really good and so no creative choice swayed my decisions one way or the other.

I picked three that I think captured the highest grade of post-processing acumen, stayed loyal to the rules of architectural photography (key in here was the verticals being vertical), retained the sunset coloration and general lighting characteristics, and did not have sharpening halos around the tree. The halos were very hard to mitigate in this image.

But first, here was what I did with the image back in November:

Significantly darker and muddier than the entries here and, were I to do it again, I'd take more control over the shadows and make the details and colors pop a lot more. So, I think that most every submission was a better edit in many ways than my own. Iruggeri, you were close to this but with better color quality.

So what I did to judge these was I opened the ten best in their own tab so that I could compare images without knowing who made them or seeing them in the context of other images. I kept going through them all until I was down to the last three.

Third: Thank you, Todd.

Second: Thank you, Arizona Dave

First: Thank you, quh86

I will say that for the first and second, it basically came down to a con flip. Even though the winner didn't have the sunset coloration, the trees on the bottom right kept their leaf detail and I think that was the hardest part of editing this image.