Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Camera Manual Operation Challenge

A couple of years back, there was a TV photography program that would send three different amateur enthusiast photographers on a mission, all using the same camera. For example, I remember one program that sent to capture the spirit of the horse races. They were all given a plastic Holga type camera with film. This was really a challenge to test their fundamental knowledge, with no assistance from technology. (That is not a comment against technology, anymore than a bicycle race is a condemnation of the motorcycle industry. I loved the idea of; here is a plastic camera, and your assignment is......Now, how am I going to do this, becomes the challenge.
This had got me thinking back to my first camera, a Kodak Retinette 1A, 50mm / f3.5 (no light meter or range finder) with four shutter speeds: 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250 and of course manual guesstimate focus.
Would there be an interest in a challenge to show what can be done within the limits of these cameras?
Suggested rules:
1) Any lens 35 to 55mm as long as it is focused manually (points given if no focus aid used)
2) Any camera as long as it is used strictly in manual mode. Film or Digital (points for Sunny 16)
3) Shutter speeds limited to 1/30, 1/60, 1/125 and 1/250 manually selected.
4) ISO 800 maximum
5) No PP, see what you can do before PP.

Let me hear your thoughts, and suggestions on rules, bearing in mind the object of the exercise. Each few weeks we could assign a different mission, for example a photo to promote a national park, or a car show etc.

Edit:
As far as lenses go, the original "full frame" lenses ranged from about 38 to 55 mm. (allowance for APS-C equivalent field of view would be 24 to 38 approximately) Fixed lens cameras by their nature restrict one's opportunities, so the whole idea of this exercise is to see how well we can do as photographers if we don't have all sorts of technical marvels at our disposal. It will be the picture that will be the object, not the gear used to obtain it.

Last edited by arnold; 04-26-2015 at 03:14 PM.
04-25-2015, 12:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a fun idea and you can definitely sign me up for it. Could I suggest that we're allowed to use 24mm and 35mm lenses on APS-C to match the classic 35mm and 50mm focal lengths on film?

Maybe I'll give my old Kodak 35 a CLA and use it for the challenge. . .
04-25-2015, 01:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
It's a fun idea and you can definitely sign me up for it. Could I suggest that we're allowed to use 24mm and 35mm lenses on APS-C to match the classic 35mm and 50mm focal lengths on film?

Maybe I'll give my old Kodak 35 a CLA and use it for the challenge. . .
That sounds reasonable since some of the old 35mm view finder cameras were as wide as 38mm with their lenses. Anyway, this is just a suggestion to get away from the rather obsessive preoccupation with the latest gear. It remains to be seen if there is any interest in going back to the basics, but anyone who wants to paste a picture and be the first off the line is encouraged to do so. Rather than add too many rules, let common sense guide one keeping the aim of the exercise in mind. How about the first subject: "Interesting Gates"?
04-25-2015, 04:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This could be fun, might have a go as well

04-25-2015, 05:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If this takes off with enough interest, would the moderator be kind enough to move the thread to a more suitable place? Thanks.
I will start off with one from the recent past (interesting gate doesn't line with road) although I didn't record all the details as one should.
This was taken with a KX and M50mm f1.4 using expired Fuji 200 ASA. The speed would have been 1/250 and the aperture around f11
No PP
Attached Images

04-25-2015, 05:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, I'll play

KX with K50/1.4 wide open at 1/30th of a second. Kodak tri-X 400 ISO exposed at 3200 and pushed 3 stops in processing by changing developing time for D76 from 6 minutes at 20C to 25 minutes.

Can't say I get points for the sunny 16 rule however, sun had nothing to do with this shot.

How does a 3 stop push in developing compare to PP in today's world. Did I cheat?
04-25-2015, 07:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
How does a 3 stop push in developing compare to PP in today's world. Did I cheat?
This is a tough one because it could open up the whole slippery slope to full PP. However, you did use 400 asa, and the PP was only in developing I assume. I really don't want to be too pedantic about this. With your full disclosure I think there is room for latitude here. This type of developing was used by hobbyists of earlier times and was in keeping with the technology. If one keeps the Holga idea in mind, along the assignment, that should help act as a guide to requirements of keeping it simple.
As an example from the horse race assignment mentioned above, One person got horses cantering by, the second some people who were not indicative of a horse race, and the third person took a picture of the chandelier in the club house!? They also had trouble with the Diana cameras and film loading. By the way, is there a gate in your picture I have not noticed?

04-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Could the focal length limitation be reconsidered to include 55mm, allowing for the K-55/1.8 and DA*-55/1.8?
04-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Could the focal length limitation be reconsidered to include 55mm, allowing for the K-55/1.8 and DA*-55/1.8?
Oh yes, that was in the original post. We are trying to emulate a simple fixed lens 35mm camera, and they had lenses from 38 to 55 mm.
04-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Arnold, I've sent you a PM with a suggestion. Please let me know what you think.
04-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Arnold, I've sent you a PM with a suggestion. Please let me know what you think.
PM sent thanks.
04-25-2015, 11:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I might join in, I do that all the time. Except that I normally shoot a 135mm lens. Since I have several 50mm and a 28mm I could do some work with those, and I use the 50mm a lot anyway.

I normally try to use ISO 200, f8 to f11, shutter speed varies according to ambient light, but 1/125 and 1/180 are quite common. But that's with a K30, not able to deal with film developing right now, can't afford it. Still have a half roll or so each in a ME and a Minolta SRT 101 come to think of it...and an unexposed roll, probably ISO 200...so this would be right up my alley, but I'd be doing it with a K30 in full manual, which is all I ever shoot.

Just for fun, here's one I got this weekend, ISO 200, f11, 1/250, Pentax M 50 f1.7...

I almost never process anything, a bit of cropping is usually it, this one was cropped just enough to get it to fit 1024x768 for web viewing, I also never use auto exposure. I look around and estimate what I'll need, I'm usually within one stop of right. For my shots this day I pegged it first try.
04-26-2015, 01:01 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Mount Misery Corner, South Dartmoor:

Samsung GX-10 version of the K10D with SMC Takumar 24mm/3.5. Straight Raw to Jpeg conversion with no PP. Manual zone focus using lens depth of field scale. Sunny 16 exposure, which is f/11 at 1/125 at ISO100 at my latitude (I might have double checked with my incident meter). Uncropped.
04-26-2015, 01:07 AM   #14
Forum Member

I'll happily join in, I have some good shots from my Ricoh 50mm XR f1.2.
What Id really like though is if it's thrown wide open to include telephoto lenses. I adore my Nikon 80-200 F4.5 and have some really great shots with it, ie
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 450D  Photo 
04-26-2015, 02:09 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Looking back at the original post, I think we have to remember that the idea was to replicate the experience of shooting with a fully manual fixed lens camera. Usually that meant a 50mm lens, although by the sixties many had a fixed 35mm. The final decision is up to Arnold. Will it be a thread for anything shot with a manual lens and manual exposure? Or will we stick to the original idea of themed assignments, only using focal lengths that replicate a fixed lens film camera?

The first assigned theme was "Interesting Gates".