Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 08:56 PM - 2 Likes   #166
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I know what you mean about breeding extremes. The line is hard to draw. All breeding of farm animals involves selection for characteristics that suit people. Sometimes that selection improves the quality of life of the animal but often not. For example sheep breeders are trying to improve resistance to footrot (which is good), but also to produce fast-growing lambs. From our own experience with four generations of pet sheep, I'd say that fast-growing breeds are more inclined to have heart and joint problems in mid- to later-life. The older breeds like Southdown and Romney tend to be better in this regard. We have had two dear old Southdown-cross ewes that outlived their contemporaries - one of them lived to 16. By contrast, Oscar our White Suffolk-cross wether only lived to 10, because his joints gave out on him. White Suffolks have been bred to be big and are one of the dominant fast-growing meat breeds, whereas Southdowns are becoming much less common in this country.

Last edited by Des; 10-02-2018 at 03:01 PM.
10-03-2018, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #167
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's a photo of Emily, our old Southdown-cross ewe (Southdown father and Border Leicester-Merino mother) who lived to 16. She was about 15 when I took this. (It's a scan from a print, taken with my Canon AE-1 Program and 70-210 f4 lens.) As sweet a nature as they come.
Attached Images

10-03-2018, 04:11 PM - 2 Likes   #168
Pentaxian

Barnyard with donkey silhouette.

Samigon 180-Degree Fisheye lens, at f11
Super Takumar f1.4 50mm (host lens)
Spotmatic SP, at 1/250 sec.
Rollei Superpan 200

(cross-posted)
10-05-2018, 08:37 AM - 2 Likes   #169
Pentaxian

1860s cavalry soldier describes horse, tack, and operation to 21st Century family.

Super Takumar f3.5 35mm, at f11 v 16
Spotmatic SP, at 1/500 sec.
Rollei Superpan 200

10-14-2018, 03:18 PM - 4 Likes   #170
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very nice equine images gNd.

Went to the Royal Melbourne Show a few weeks ago, mainly to see the sheep. There were 500 entrants in the sheep competition, and we went around the pens to see them all. Here are a few. All but the last two were taken with the K-S2 + FA 43 Ltd.

Corriedale ram

This Wiltshire ram worked out where to hang his prize ribbon.

I was quite taken with the Wiltshires. Don't see many horned sheep these days.

Border Leicester ewe with twin lambs.

Southdown.

South Suffolk.

Not sure which breed this one is. Could be a White Suffolk. Or maybe Poll Dorset.

White Dorper.

We were particularly interested in these Romneys, because we have Romney ewes as pets. Common in NZ, but uncommon in Australia.

Here's the same Romney lamb slipping away from his mum during judging for Grand Champion Ewe. These last two were with the K-S2 + FA 77 Ltd.

Last edited by Des; 10-14-2018 at 09:46 PM.
10-14-2018, 10:29 PM - 4 Likes   #171
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
In another part of the Royal Melbourne Show there was an exhibit of a variety of farm animals. Farmer Daryl said that these guys are Demara cross sheep. K-S2 + DA 55-300 PLM.

10-15-2018, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Obviously there's a lot more to sheep than a layperson can possibly imagine. I need a field guide to crops, livestock and farm equipment! In the meantime I'll take pics now and then and leave it to the contributors here to enlighten me on what I'm seeing.
10-15-2018, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #173
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Obviously there's a lot more to sheep than a layperson can possibly imagine. I need a field guide to crops, livestock and farm equipment! In the meantime I'll take pics now and then and leave it to the contributors here to enlighten me on what I'm seeing.
I have to admit I often feel like the Eddie Albert character in that 1960s sitcom about the city lawyer who moves to the country. (Although Di is the polar opposite of the socialite wife.) When I go into a rural supplies store to get a bag of chaff or something, I suspect they know I'm a fraud. If you find "Rural life for dummies" let me know.

Last edited by Des; 10-15-2018 at 04:44 PM.
10-15-2018, 06:24 PM - 3 Likes   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
10-15-2018, 10:18 PM   #175
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The herd guard! Nice one Tom.
10-16-2018, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Following @Des invite...

Summer 2016 on mobile

Not the best shot but for me, this one captured a moment.
10-16-2018, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #177
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing Ed. I can see why it was a memorable moment for you.

Looks to me like the calf is chewing its cud - that is, they bring up partly-digested food from their rumen and chew it some more. Ruminants are usually dreamy and meditative when they are doing this. They tend to synchronize with other members of the herd, so there's a general mood of calm. It's wonderful to experience it, especially when they treat you as if you were a member of the herd.

The dude on the reclining chair in the background looks like he joined in the mood too.
10-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Ruminants are usually dreamy and meditative when they are doing this. They tend to synchronize with other members of the herd, so there's a general mood of calm. It's wonderful to experience it, especially when they treat you as if you were a member of the herd.
This is so cool, I did not know this. Cool thread you guys have going here. I have some more recent farm animal shots from a few months ago. I'll be sure to hare them soon!
10-16-2018, 05:40 PM - 2 Likes   #179
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
This is so cool, I did not know this. Cool thread you guys have going here. I have some more recent farm animal shots from a few months ago. I'll be sure to hare them soon!
Rumination is one of the most under-appreciated wonders of the natural world IMO. It lets animals digest plant cellulose more efficiently, compared to non-ruminant herbivores like horses or say koalas. (Koalas have an extremely long digestive tract instead and spend a lot of their time digesting.) The downside, in the modern world, is that rumination produces a lot of methane, so ruminants are one of the world's major sources of greenhouse gases. A lot of research around the world is going into changing ruminant feed, particularly for cattle and sheep, so they produce less methane. Here's a little summary: Carbon farming: reducing methane emissions from cattle using feed additives | Agriculture and Food

Welcome to the thread Ed. Glad you like it. Look forward to seeing more shots.
10-21-2018, 09:41 AM - 3 Likes   #180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tokina RMC 135/2.8 on K-50 - Heritage Farms in Long Island