Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas514 Quote
Here are a few pictures from a trip to Saskatchewan, in the Canadian Prairies. I would love to tell you the breeds but sadly, this city guy has no clue!
More fine shots from your travels, @Nicholas514.

I'm pretty sure the first shot is a Hereford (shallow DOF works beautifully). I think the cattle in the second shot are Angus and the third shot Holstein. Don't know about the horse.

Which lenses did you use? I'm guessing the first is the DA 50 f1.8.

05-23-2015, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WE are currently pasturing 3 ewes and 6 lambs for our neighbors, and to help keep our grass down! All following shots are with Pentax M 75-150, K-5 and K-5lls.

Free range sheep.....down near Cedar City Utah they pasture big flocks of sheep out on public lands. Not much in the way of fences here. these shots have been in other threads.

I call this one "ewes with a view"

05-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great shots @Dunerunner. Thanks for sharing.

Don't know how it is in the US, but grazing cattle and sheep on public land is a sensitive issue in Australia. Some States have allowed grazing in national parks - many of us see this as an ecological disaster and contrary to the central idea of a national park. Even grazing on roadsides can be problematic as roadsides are often havens for rare plant communities.
05-25-2015, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dunerunner Quote
WE are currently pasturing 3 ewes and 6 lambs for our neighbors, and to help keep our grass down! All following shots are with Pentax M 75-150, K-5 and K-5lls.

Free range sheep.....down near Cedar City Utah they pasture big flocks of sheep out on public lands. Not much in the way of fences here. these shots have been in other threads.

I call this one "ewes with a view"
Great shots Dunerunner!

Here is another one from France. Already posted in another thread but this is a scene that is extremely rare nowadays! Please forgive the lack of sharpness as this was taken from a moving car through a windshield and cropped!

And one from cowboys in Saskatchewan (taken with the HD 55-300 WR at ISO 800 f/11 1/125) heavily cropped:

And this beautiful girl! (Also in Saskatchewan in a moving vehicle, unfortunately impossible to stop on the highway ) :

I love this thread, great idea Des!

05-30-2015, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Horses with DA 21mm Ltd

06-06-2015, 04:26 PM   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Enjoying your shots, @Nicholas514. Love the timeless scene in rural France.

Fine pic @Simon_199. Great colour and contrast.

Here are some of the local Jersey cows in South Gippsland. Taken with Pentax K-30 and DA 50 f1.8. I gave this lens to a friend as a birthday present because I tend to use the FA 43 now. But the 50 has its own character.

Missed focus on the eyes a little on the left. Should have used a smaller aperture to get the whole head in focus - say f3.5 or f4. There's a lesson for portraits of farm animals!
08-17-2016, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Three wether (castrated male) goats, of two large dairy goat breeds: Alpine and Saanen (the white one). They were raised from bottle babies by children on a farm about an hour and a half east of us, until they were a year and a half old. Those original owners named them after pizza toppings: Oregano, Pepperoni, and Parmesan. They're 4 1/2 now.

Camera: K10D. Lenses: antique Samigon 180-degree Fisheye Auxiliary lens + Auto Sears f2 50mm + Vivitar 1.5x TC

Now, you might think this is a rather surrealistically distorted goat portrait, but Parmie's nose looks just like that when he's about to snatch your hat off of your head!
08-17-2016, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Location: Out in the sticks,Suffolk,UK(or SE Asia,if I'm lucky!)
Photos: Gallery
Ewe lookin' at me?

08-18-2016, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #24

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No 1
Pig relaxin' somewhere in Carpathian village

No 2
Baby rabbit crouched in a grass on my parent's farm.

No 3
Just a duck. In a same grass as rabbit from prev pic.

All shots where taken with K-50 + SMC DA 18-135
08-18-2016, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

I just found this thread.
Good job in starting it Des. It needs a bit of impetus.

A Murray Grey calf (hardly ever grey!) at Yarck Victoria
K-5 and 18-135
08-18-2016, 04:25 PM   #26
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Now, you might think this is a rather surrealistically distorted goat portrait, but Parmie's nose looks just like that when he's about to snatch your hat off of your head!
Great fun shot @goatsNdonkey. Lots of personality there.

So now we've met the goats, look forward to seeing the donkey.

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Ewe lookin' at me?
A Suffolk in Suffolk. Thanks for sharing. Which lens did you use Tim?

QuoteOriginally posted by barada Quote
No 1 Pig relaxin' somewhere in Carpathian village No 2 Baby rabbit crouched in a grass on my parent's farm. No 3 Just a duck.
These are terrific @Barada. Happiest looking pig I've ever seen.

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
A Murray Grey calf (hardly ever grey!) at Yarck Victoria
G'day Rod. Isn't he a beautiful fella?

---------- Post added 08-19-16 at 09:28 AM ----------

Here's an Angus bull and a horse (don't know what sort), tormented by flies, from Sth Gippsland. Both K-30 + DA-L 55-300.

Last edited by Des; 10-29-2016 at 09:26 PM.
08-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Hi Des,the Suffolk was shot,so to speak,with my 55-300WR.
08-18-2016, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Great fun shot @goatsNdonkey. Lots of personality there.

So now we've met the goats, look forward to seeing the donkey.
As long as you've asked, here's a picture of Oscar. At 49 inches at the shoulder, he's just big enough to fall into the "Large Standard" donkey size class. He weighs somewhere around 650 pounds. He's about 9 1/2 years old. We got him two years ago after the family who had raised him since he was little couldn't continue to keep him, as they were moving into a city for work. The transition has been hard for him, but he's starting to decide he's going to be our pet donkey now.

Camera: K110D. Lens: SMC Pentax-FA f3.5-5.6 28-80mm AL

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 08-19-2016 at 05:43 AM.
08-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #29
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
As long as you've asked, here's a picture of Oscar.
Oh, he's just beautiful. The second-most-beautiful Oscar in this thread. (Sadly my big lamb is no longer with us. He died last October, aged 10.)

Donkeys are naturally cautious and deep aren't they? (Source: Andy Merrifield, The Wisdom of Donkeys - highly recommended.) So I guess it's not surprising that it's taken your Oscar a while to settle in. But you can see from his eyes and ears that he now knows it's going to be OK.

Thanks very much for sharing.

Last edited by Des; 08-18-2016 at 09:41 PM.
08-19-2016, 09:14 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Pentaxian