Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2015, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ee-i-ee-i-oh! - Farm animals

There's a thread on farms and agriculture (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/16...riculture.html) and one on barns (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/77...our-barns.html), but let's see some shots of the animals.

There have been some great photos here of farm animals over the years - cross-posts welcome.

Please say:
1. Who? Tell us what breed it is if you know. (If you don't, someone here probably will.)
2. Where?
3. How? Camera and lens, plus anything notable about the technique or post-processing. (Extra kudos if you had to outrun the bull after getting the shot.)

If there are any tips you can pass on, please do so.

---------- Post added 05-04-15 at 04:40 PM ----------

I get to go first. Here's my pet sheep Oscar in South Gippsland,Victoria, Australia. He's a White Suffolk cross (from a Border Leicester-Merino cross ewe).

This one was taken with K-30+Sigma 170-500 at 170mm.

05-09-2015, 01:13 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Inactive Account

Da Chicks in Da Hood

Hi,

My first day with my new K-50. It has been years since I've had such fun with a camera. My old film Minolta has been sidelined for probably 15 years.

Here is a group of mixed breed, week old chicks outside for the first time. Norwegian Jaerhon/ Easter Egger/ Sicilian Buttercup/ Cream Legbars.
Backyard California, late afternoon, no post processing (since I have NO clue how to do any of that!)
Camera: K-50, Lens DAL 18-55mm WR
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
05-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's just lovely @Quail. The chicks are gorgeous and I like the use of wide angle from close range.

A very warm welcome to the forums. Hope we see lots more photos from you.

I also came to a Pentax DSLR from many years with a film SLR. Like you I found it just huge fun. Most of the skills you learnt with your old camera are translatable and there is endless scope for new ones (like post-processing - don't be daunted by the complexity).
05-14-2015, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Here is a picture from my Icelandic Sheep, x-posted from the Post Your Photos! thread. Enjoy!

Edit: Forgot to say this was taken with a K5 and HD 55-300 WR and in the beautiful Westman Islands in Iceland!

Last edited by Nicolas514; 05-14-2015 at 04:13 AM.
05-14-2015, 04:23 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All images taken at Carriage Hill Metro Park. A working historical farm. Taken with DS and either the DA 18-55 or DA 50-200.

Breed = Sheep

Breed = Horse

Breed = Cow

Breed = Mix (Mule maybe)

Breed = Human children having fun at the farm.

Tim
05-14-2015, 04:31 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Forum Member

This is a magnificent charolais bull in the Nièvre (58) department in the Burgundy region of France.

Taken with a K5 and the HD 55-300 WR.

Hope you like it!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-14-2015, 05:32 AM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas514 Quote
Here is a picture from my Icelandic Sheep
Love that hairstyle! Looks well-equipped for an Icelandic winter.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas514 Quote
This is a magnificent charolais
He's a big fella and doesn't look pleased at having his photo taken. I can see why you used the 300!

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
All images taken at Carriage Hill Metro Park. A working historical farm.
Fine set Tim.

05-14-2015, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a fantastic idea for a thread, thanks for starting it Des!

05-14-2015, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
What a fantastic idea for a thread, thanks for starting it Des!
Thanks Tom. I love farm animals and they make great photo subjects (often overlooked). This thread is meant to complement your farms and agriculture thread; both might inspire people to see more in the country.

We can always count on you for interesting shots.

One common problem in photographing farm animals (or rural scenes generally) is fencing. It does literally divide you from the subject. Of course fences themselves can be interesting subjects - the wooden post in your first shot illustrates that. And sometimes the fence is part of the story - as in your second photo. But strands of wire (as in your third shot) tend to break the line. (It doesn't matter in that photo, because the barn, the light, the contrast with the cattle, and the bare trees make the shot.) Ideally we would stand close to the fence and avoid the wire, or frame/crop the photo to avoid it, but that's not always practical. It would be possible to photoshop the wire out, but that's a lot of trouble.

I had the problem in this shot (Merino sheep, Gippsland; K-30+Tamron 18-250 at 220mm):
Attached Images

05-14-2015, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
One common problem in photographing farm animals (or rural scenes generally) is fencing. It does literally divide you from the subject. Of course fences themselves can be interesting subjects - the wooden post in your first shot illustrates that. And sometimes the fence is part of the story - as in your second photo. But strands of wire (as in your third shot) tend to break the line. (It doesn't matter in that photo, because the barn, the light, the contrast with the cattle, and the bare trees make the shot.) Ideally we would stand close to the fence and avoid the wire, or frame/crop the photo to avoid it, but that's not always practical. It would be possible to photoshop the wire out, but that's a lot of trouble.

I had the problem in this shot (Merino sheep, Gippsland; K-30+Tamron 18-250 at 220mm):
Thanks Des, I don't see any problem in that shot though, it's excellent. But I think grazing sheep are really photogenic. Saying that, here are some cattle. The first is some beautiful highland cattle, I wanted to get closer, but as soon as I started down towards them they ran, unlike most cattle that come to you.

05-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
More fine shots Tom. Keep them coming.

Where do the cool sheep go for a tax-deductible conference? Sheepvention (Hamilton in western Victoria).

You get to hang out with others of your breed:

Sure, the motel rooms are pretty small, the beds are hard, and there's not a lot of privacy:

But there are prizes to be won:

And handsome fellows to meet, like this Merino ram:

And cute lambs like this Lincoln:

Everything a sheep could want.

(All photos K100D Super+Tamron 18-250, handheld without flash. Unfortunately I only shot jpg then; a white balance fix and some PP treatment would do wonders here.)
05-18-2015, 09:11 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These were all taken at the Austin Zoo, which is more of an animal sanctuary than a Zoo. Therefore, lots of farm animals that were rescued or donated to the zoo. All of these pictures were taken with a K30 and the 55-300 WR lens. I did minimal post-processing (usually just some shadow enhancement and maybe an adjustment to exposure).

First is three Vietnamese Pot-bellied Pigs (Not quite a farm animal, I know, but cute). The Zoo staff liked it enough to ask for me to send it to them, but not use it on the website.

The second is a Yorkshire Pig that was donated to the zoo after a 4H student wanted to see her prize pig live in leisure.

And finally, I can't say that I know the name of these chickens/roosters, and I regret that I missed the focus a bit, but I enjoy the moment. Just a little scuffle on the pecking order.

05-18-2015, 09:25 PM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Fine shots @psubadger. The rooster squabble is very dramatic.
05-19-2015, 05:23 AM   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Superb shots, @MrBassie. Lots of personality on display there.

Lovely detail and pleasant bokeh from that Takumar.

And isn't that Tamron sharp? A macro lens can be almost too sharp when photographing people but with animals it seems to help capture the finest hairs/fur. Here is Oscar again, with the K-30+DFA 100 Macro WR.

Last edited by Des; 05-19-2015 at 02:59 PM.
05-19-2015, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

Really good shots Mr Bassie! I was thinking about getting that Tamron lens... It gives amazing results!

Here are a few pictures from a trip to Saskatchewan, in the Canadian Prairies. I would love to tell you the breeds but sadly, this city guy has no clue!

Enjoy!

I do realise looking back that I was shooting with a way too shallow depth of field. Oh well, live and learn!