Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2018, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #181
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
That's a lovely image Ed. Goats are wonderfully photogenic IMO. Thanks for sharing.

10-22-2018, 12:39 PM - 3 Likes   #182
Pentaxian

A few weeks back, my family and I visited a seasonal mountain farm ("seter") in Norway.
Summertime, they herd the cows (and often goats) from the main farm (down in the valley) up into the mountains for fresh pasture. There they get to roam around freely - to our enjoyment.
Some of the farms are open to visitors, and sell freshly made dairy products - especially sour cream porridge and brown goat cheese are well worth to try if you ever go visit one.

(All photos taken with the SMC DA 21mm)
10-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #183
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So you are now in Norway Alex?

That's a fine set of images and a lovely story with it. They are very happy-looking cows!
10-22-2018, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
So you are now in Norway Alex?

That's a fine set of images and a lovely story with it. They are very happy-looking cows!
Thank you Des! Moved back to Norway a little while back, nice to have mountains close by again!

10-23-2018, 04:05 AM - 3 Likes   #185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The donkeys @ Rietvlei Nature Reserve, used for "safari's" from time to time.

10-23-2018, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
The donkeys @ Rietvlei Nature Reserve, used for "safari's" from time to time.

Very fine donkeys! I'm sure that my Oscar would love to have a chat with them.

They look fit and well cared for. Their coats and hooves look good. They seem to be well-fed, without being overweight.
10-23-2018, 06:56 PM - 2 Likes   #187
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My buddy made a friend this past August...

10-24-2018, 02:01 AM - 4 Likes   #188
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very nice shots, Noel and Ed.

Inquisitive merino flock, Hamilton, Tasmania. K-S2 + DA 18-135.

Last edited by Des; 10-24-2018 at 02:14 AM.
10-24-2018, 07:31 AM   #189
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Inquisitive merino flock,
Impressive!
10-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #190
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Impressive!
Thanks Ed. We were just driving along the road while travelling around in Tassie, we stopped to admire this flock, and they started running down the hill towards us. Perhaps they though we had some food for them (it was very dry), or maybe we reminded them of someone! (Sheep have great memories for human faces.)
10-29-2018, 06:12 PM - 2 Likes   #191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cow-themed pillows for sale in craft workshop/store, Bishop Hill, Illinois.

Phoenix/Samyang f/4-4.5 18-28mm
K10D
11-06-2018, 02:11 PM - 4 Likes   #192
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I watched this titanic battle for about 5 minutes (from a respectful distance ). They were still going hard at one another when I left. All that power and muscle was an awesome sight and somehow the rain made it even more dramatic.

K-S2 + DA 55-300 PLM at 300mm (showing the value of this lightweight, go-everywhere, WR combination).

In cropping the shots I left some foreground turf, for a more "ringside" look, and to underscore the earthy quality of the contest.
11-06-2018, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #193
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I watched this titanic battle for about 5 minutes (from a respectful distance ). They were still going hard at one another when I left. All that power and muscle was an awesome sight and somehow the rain made it even more dramatic.

K-S2 + DA 55-300 PLM at 300mm (showing the value of this lightweight, go-everywhere, WR combination).

In cropping the shots I left some foreground turf, for a more "ringside" look, and to underscore the earthy quality of the contest.
Des that is such an awesome scene and a great capture on your part. That had to be both stunning & chilling to witness. In the past on several occasions I have watched white tail deer bucks fight so aggressively to the point of them actually wounding each other and becoming exhausted. A very intense piece of life to experience, wild or domesticated.
Best Regards, Bob
11-06-2018, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #194
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry Des but I just have to remark again. That second shot is unbelievable. I can not imagine the amount of force realized with that impact.

Best Regards, Bob
11-07-2018, 12:11 AM   #195
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
Des that is such an awesome scene and a great capture on your part. That had to be both stunning & chilling to witness. In the past on several occasions I have watched white tail deer bucks fight so aggressively to the point of them actually wounding each other and becoming exhausted. A very intense piece of life to experience, wild or domesticated.
QuoteOriginally posted by jabobby Quote
Sorry Des but I just have to remark again. That second shot is unbelievable. I can not imagine the amount of force realized with that impact.
Thanks very much indeed Bob. Yes a tonne on each side is a lot of force. While I watched them it seemed to be a trial of strength rather than one lining up the other for maximum impact. I've been past since, and fortunately neither appears hurt. Actually there are five or six bulls in that paddock and mostly they get on fine - something must have got them going on this occasion. I'd guess it was something to do with the cows across the road. Rather like Saturday night in a pub. ;-)