Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-10-2015, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Winners of Challenge 146.

Thanks to everyone who gave this a go. I know the photo wasn't much to work with, but I guess that is sort of the challenge - make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (and this was, indeed, a sow's ear).

There was some real creativity here - from sunsets to glowing lighthouses to pirates. So here are my choices.

3rd PLACE
atupdate - "The Treasure is Now Safe"

This is just fun, but there was also attention to detail that made it work. The lighthouse, the utility poles and the plastic bottles on the beach are gone. He brought the boat in just opposite the flowers, and I like that. As I posted earlier, this is but a few miles from where the pirate Jean Lafitte lived, so there is a bit of fun to that.

2nd PLACE
todd - "first pass" A Study in Black & White

This is a very nice transformation to black and white. There is just the right amount of texture to the sky and I especially like how the foam of the surf really pops. I just like the overall ambiance of this.

1st PLACE
NeatKnight
"Two Layers of Graduated Fog"

I really like how NeatKnight cropped the shot, bringing the clump of flowers to the fore and making them a focus. I also like how the lights in the background have that halo effect that you see in fog. I will take that as attention to detail and not the the NIK software. Interestingly enough, the day this shot was taken was the only day of the four day weekend that this shoreline was not in fog in the morning.

swanlefitte mentioned a curiousity as to my own personal processing of this picture, so here it is below. As you can see, it is nothing like the ones I chose for this challenge. I purposely did not look at my own until after I made my selections.

Now it is time for NeatKnight to give us a challenge. I look forward to giving it a try.

Don

05-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations NeatKnight, todd and atupdate!
05-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to NeatKnight. I'm looking forward to working with one of your images.

Tim
05-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Congratulations to all. I am now ready for the next challenge. Fun Fun Fun

05-11-2015, 01:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, I'm really surprised I won. The next challenge is up:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/29...ml#post3249839
05-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fun round and nice stuff from everyone! Thanks for doing a marvelous hosting job Don! Pleasantly surprised to see you liked my version! See y'all over at 147